Author Topic: Exidy Crossbow Restoration / Rebuild  (Read 11948 times)

Bods

• View Profile
Exidy Crossbow Restoration / Rebuild
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »
Anyone had a worse condition Arcade Machine than this and Restore it?

As this is what I have to work with.

I believe there aren't many of these machines over here in the UK any more, Only one person I know of has one and that was imported from the USA

This is totally different build to the USA version, and has UK colour coded wires Brown, Blue and Yell/Green. PSU is Hantarex and the monitor cables suggest it was also Hantarex. Wish I could find a another picture of the same one or arcade flyer

Which is the reason I want to save it, as I've not seen another and the machine looks cool with Crossbow on the front :)

Anyone on here with a machine the same as this? and not USA model

I can piece most of the main bits together to use as templates I hope, and most of the metal is still ok, even some of the wood inside and the monitor bezel survived

Some other guys had taken the gun and control panel, but I have a gun now and I am getting the control panel back for the machine

Shame someone stole or broke the marquee and they deffo smashed the monitor glass

This was spotted on the internet, still having the Crossbow gun on it, the guys up the that way saved the Gun for D's Crossbow Electrocoin machine they picked up over on Jamma+

Greedy Op thought he had a chance to sell a Crossbow gun he had, well I bought it, yeah it was abit over priced but worth getting I thought

Searching the net for more pics of this old place where the machine was located, in 2007 is was pretty much complete, apart from the Coin doors and monitor

Pretty strange seeing pictures of the place it's in, then being there in front of it, wondering if I can get it out of this building

It has suffered bad with the roof of the building half missing, but the original pcb was still inside

My new extension is getting close to being finished so while I have some space I shall start working on rebuilding the cabinet

The Building it was in

in 2007 the machine looking quite nice

By 2008 from the pics found someone has smashed the glass  >:(

2010 and more damage to it, marquee now gone and speaker board hanging down :(

2012 and some gits ran off with the Crossbow, but for the good of another machine ;D

So by the time I get to the machine it's looking slightly worse now the Control Panel has gone and there is abit more Damage to it

Like a muppet I never took a camera with me, or have a decent phone, so I doubt the pics I took on that will be much, however by the time I had managed to move the cab, which is piled on a load of crap and leaning to the side, so had to try and turn it round to get on sack truck, everytime you tried to move it, bits just came off. What i didn't know at the time, was all the plaster from the ceiling was in the bottom of the cab, which was making it weigh more and with the damp wood it was a nightmare, I must looked like I had a Fever, coming out of this Old Fever Hospital with the amount of Sweat pouring down my face.

All the ceiling plaster in the bottom of the cabinet weighed 12kg, adding that weight while I tried to move it ::)

By the time it was back at the Van, well it didn't look much better than it does now

July 2012

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Exidy Crossbow Restoration / Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
OH - MY - GOD !!! :o :o :o

you really wanna restore / rebuild that thing? hats off, even i would have left it lying there. really really curious about that, good luck, i'll follow it closely!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
I was actually wondering in your other post if that was the same machine! 

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »
The question is why no one saved the machine in 2008.
Paul.
ZZZ

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
Yeah that's exactly what I had in mind....why take a pic and then leave it to rot.... ?

I'd say this is Mission Impossible. Cab needs to be simply reproduced....And where on earth to get the missing parts..?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »
i love the pics showing how the machine "evolved" over the years. once again, an abandoned place with an arcade cabinet inside - i wonder how many others are out there ...  left to rot!

can you tell us a little bit more about that place? what was its function, where is it (roughly), ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
I only can say Goodluck on that !  :D

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
It is a real shame that no one found the pictures posted in 2007 :(

Over on Jamma+ Dsyde has been searching for an Electrocoin Shooting cab based on the Goliath Jamma cab, but it was styled abit like Op Wolf and had Crossbow game fitted from the Factory, he had been searching for years for that machine, when guys in Scotland done a deal with an ebay seller for aload of Electrocoin Goliath jamma cabs, and just happended to be the Shooting cab Dsyde was after, though it had been converted with a Op Wolf gun on it.

The seller was the guy that had the Bootleg Hang-On and after they showed pics of it that it was left there, I contacted the seller and done a deal with him, he told me he imported the Hang-On from China and also told me the Shooting cab was originaly Crossbow.

So now Dsyde was to get the cab he'd been searching for years, someone else on Jamma+ searched the internet for Crossbow and found those Pictures, so couple of guys passed by to take a look, it was still sat there in the same place, so they grabbed the Control Panel and Crossbow gun for Dsyde's machine.

After seeing the pictures myself I wanted to save it. I couldn't move the machine without it falling apart though

I will rebuilt it using the original wood as template, and some of the mdf inside has even survived and will be reused in the new cab along with the psu, wiring, monitor bezel, brackets, grills etc

If only someone searched in 2007 it could of been saved as it was nearly complete, but the people on the urban exploration sites obviously didn't have an interest in arcade macines

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
i love the pics showing how the machine "evolved" over the years. once again, an abandoned place with an arcade cabinet inside - i wonder how many others are out there ...  left to rot!

can you tell us a little bit more about that place? what was its function, where is it (roughly), ...

Place is on a country road just out of a small village Thornton the other side of Edinburgh in Scotland

Apparently it used to be an old Hospital, then it was used as a Lodge Hotel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgKU7UTu-o0

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »
"it could of been saved"

I guess that means "It could have been saved" ?

I understand you are a native English speaker and I've seen "of" been used as "have" before but please remember a lot ( if not the majority) of members here are not native English speakers/readers so please keep things simple....  :):)

When I read it the first time I was pretty puzzled by it...(not by you, was somewhere else)...

I totally admire your courage on this project by the way. For sure it is a game I have never seen on this side of the Atlantic....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:56:52 PM by Level42 »

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 05:08:42 PM »
Man, that machine is in pieces !  :shock:

"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »
"it could of been saved"

I guess that means "It could have been saved" ?

I understand you are a native English speaker and I've seen "of" been used as "have" before but please remember a lot ( if not the majority) of members here are not native English speakers/readers so please keep things simple....  :):)

When I read it the first time I was pretty puzzled by it...(not by you, was somewhere else)...

I totally admire your courage on this project by the way. For sure it is a game I have never seen on this side of the Atlantic....

Yes, I am sorry about that. I will make sure I keep it simple so everyone can understand

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
The Location Kirkcaldy, Fife KY1 4DN

It has been a few different things over the years. Fever Hospital, Corsbie Hall Hotel, Fosterton Firs old peoples home and the last was Strathore Plant Hire Ltd

Bods

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
Well, I decided to make a start on this machine while we are having this nice weather :lol:

Quite pleased with the progress so far. One thing I have problem with is what I cover the new Chipboard with. The original wood is covered with black laminate which is very hard. The whole cab inside and outside is covered in the same. I have found a local supplier of Laminate, I shall go there on the way to work Friday and see what they match it with, I will be alot happier when I have that issue resolved

There are not many missing parts as someone said earlier. The Marquee I don't have, as it seems someone stole it. The marquee is smaller height than the USA original too, as it is missing the lower part to fit this style cab. Also the Side Artwork is not stuck on top of the laminate, it was originaly part of the whole side. The original glass with artwork had been smashed. Coin doors and monitor missing, nothing I can't replace. The control panel is stored away for me, I need to get that to help build it

It does not help, being unable to find any other pictures of this style Crossbow. Though yesterday I was looking at the Arcade Flyers and realised the Switzerland Flyer is the same machine as mine, so finally I have some picture of what it did look like, so I can now see the Coin Door type that is missing

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
I think I have these types of coin doors, the lower also.