Author Topic: WTB: Galaga 88 PCB  (Read 8850 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Re: WTB: Galaga 88 PCB
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
....  my problem now ist how to connect ist to vga. anybody with a very simple solution for an absolute beginner? :)

first, welcome here.

second, there is a simle answer, you can´t  :o

Galaga´88 is a 15K lowres game, it doesn´t output VGA signals.

The only solution to use it on a VGA monitor is to hook up additional devices, like a cga2vga scaler and a sync splitter. And of course a SLG3000 for the scanlines. You can check out Bencao74´s website for more info about that.

But please don´t use thta equioment, you don´t really want to use a VGA monitor. The game is intended to use with a 15K monitor, so why not hook up one of those?

But to be honest, I am a bit amazed that you thought that you could hook up a Galaga ´88 PCB directly to a VGA monitor! Obviously you didn´t do a lot of research on forehand.

i did no research at all when i bought the pcb but of course I knew that the galaga 88 has no vga-out. i just did not think about it when i found it on ebay and bought it. actually I did send the guy a price I was willing to pay.... and he accepted one minute later. so... there was my galaga 88 pcb. :D

the reason for me to connect it to vga is simple: i have no other choice at the moment because i have a coctail cab (not a sitdown as mentioned before). i bought this cab with a 60in1 two years ago because I liked its design. it did fit in our appartment and it was a compromise to my wife. she liked it too cause it was a piece of furniture for us. unfortunately it came with a vga-monitor.

i could of course put a real 15k monitor in it... but that´s something I might to in the future. at the moment I don´t have the time for that. I just want to play that game again with a beer next to me in my livingroom. :)

so I guess I will go with this little box and the scanline-generator. that will do for me. if i ever have the chance to get my hands on dedicated cabs for my own real arcade i can assure you that I will only go for the real thing. ;)

Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
IMHO replacing the monitor is less work than hooking up all the converters..

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »
IMHO replacing the monitor is less work than hooking up all the converters..

i doubt that. :) have to find one that fits first.
but don´t worry guys... i think i might buy the real cab, too.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Ok, it is your choice. Happy gaming. :)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »

it is also the choice of my wife.
if it was up to me our appartmend would be packed with dedicated cabs. no bed, no kitchen. just games and pizza service. ;)

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

it is also the choice of my wife.
if it was up to me our appartmend would be packed with dedicated cabs. no bed, no kitchen. just games and pizza service. ;)

Thats the spirit! :pac:
Looking for a container. Doesn't matter if full or empty. Doesn't matter if working or complete ... And all things Exidy!

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
I have a Galaga 88 cab offered to me in the US if anyone is interested  :pac: :pac:

uhhhhh.... how much would that be?
any chance to get an original moon patrol, donkey kong, track & field? :)

those are the machines i would kill for. ;)

I just get about 50 games together for a container from the US to EU later this year. So if you want to join in here is the thread:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=3726.0

The Galaga 88 that was offered to me would be about $450 shipped to the warehouse in the US. Add another $150-200 for shipping to Bremerhaven, Germany and €50 fee for me and that should be about what it would cost you. The other games you mentioned are possible to get there too.
you forget to tell him the "german" costs like Import customs clearance, import taxes, customs duty, port fees...  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:31:25 PM by TimePilot »

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
I have a Galaga 88 cab offered to me in the US if anyone is interested  :pac: :pac:

I just get about 50 games together for a container from the US to EU later this year. So if you want to join in here is the thread:

The Galaga 88 that was offered to me would be about $450 shipped to the warehouse in the US. Add another $150-200 for shipping to Bremerhaven, Germany and €50 fee for me and that should be about what it would cost you. The other games you mentioned are possible to get there too.
you forget to tell him the "german" costs like Import customs clearance, EUST (import taxes), Zoll (customs duty), Kaigebühren (port fees)...  :wink:

No, I didnt. They are included in the $150-200 shipping costs. Did you see the answers from Dachser on the container thread I posted?
Looking for a container. Doesn't matter if full or empty. Doesn't matter if working or complete ... And all things Exidy!

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
I have a Galaga 88 cab offered to me in the US if anyone is interested  :pac: :pac:

you forget to tell him the "german" costs like Import customs clearance, EUST (import taxes), Zoll (customs duty), Kaigebühren (port fees)...  :wink:

No, I didnt. They are included in the $150-200 shipping costs. Did you see the answers from Dachser on the container thread I posted?
good luck with you, if you think this is all then.. ::)

Love

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Alright, let me explain.

The Dachser quote includes Import customs clearance, Kaigebühren (port fees) and stuff like that. Here are the numbers.

Dachser shipping quote is something like $100 per cab (depending on how many we actually can fit in the container and some other variables)
EUST (import taxes): 19% of $150 (cab) + $100 (shipping) = $50
Zoll (customs duty) shouldnt apply, but you never know, and in your case it was 9% or something = would be $25 per cab in our case

Makes $175 per cab in a 40' container.

I send Dachser your words (literally) and they answered that everything is included in the quote, except for EUST and Zoll.

So please stop telling its going to be significantly more or come up with harder facts than the ones I got from the shipping company and everyone else I did talk to regarding this.

:)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:52:46 PM by Love »

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
don´t worry about the shipping. that´s the smallest problem. ;)
i guess it would still be an amazing prize compared to what it would cost me over here.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »
I have a Galaga 88 cab offered to me in the US if anyone is interested  :pac: :pac:

you forget to tell him the "german" costs like Import customs clearance, EUST (import taxes), Zoll (customs duty), Kaigebühren (port fees)...  :wink:

Alright, let me explain.

The Dachser quote includes Import customs clearance, Kaigebühren (port fees) and stuff like that. Here are the numbers.

Dachser shipping quote is something like $100 per cab (depending on how many we actually can fit in the container and some other variables)
EUST (import taxes): 19% of $150 (cab) + $100 (shipping) = $50
Zoll (customs duty) shouldnt apply, but you never know, and in your case it was 9% or something = would be $25 per cab in our case

Makes $175 per cab in a 40' container.

I send Dachser your words (literally) and they answered that everything is included in the quote, except for EUST and Zoll.

So please stop telling its going to be significantly more or come up with harder facts than the ones I got from the shipping company and everyone else I did talk to regarding this.

:)

ok, now my last statement to this! :P
i have giving you the "harder facts" you´ve seen in my original dachser invoice, my friend! and i know the german customs and what they need or what they are. i had x-times to do with these people. believe me, your dachser guys can never saying exactly what the german customs will do!!!
and, you will need an original invoice for every cab incl. proof of payment (creditcard, paypal), for sure! and the customs have a list for every item you import. and after my informations, they calculate the rate with this list, whether you write the are defective or not.

but believe me, i truly hope for us that a lower quote came true and the costs are fair. good luck!!!  :)

and back to topic! :arrow:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:30:21 PM by TimePilot »

Tup

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
This guy here has a complete Galaga '88 cab for sale.
http://www.gameroom.be/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8519
Nice guy and reliable. Have bought a cab from him before (actually my first cab ever).