Author Topic: WG 6100 repair logs  (Read 40741 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: WG 6100 repair logs
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
In between doing the several coats of primer on the Q*bert I'm not wasting any time...

So I fixed yet another 6100 :):)

This was a tough cookie. It was delivered with the simple yet very exact problem description: No Image :):)

I had no reason to not trust the owner about that so I didn't even hook it up before "doing the basics".
I really don't like working on dirty stuff so the first job was to clean everything. Used paper towel and some mild cleaning stuff for chassis and tube, the boards were removed from the chassis and thrown in water and washing detergent in the kitchen sink and gave them a good cleaning with a brush :):) once clean they were dried directly in the oven at a comfy 50 degree, with the fan on of course :)

Then the basic stuff like testing all transistors and diodes, replacing all mica's and thermal grease on the chassis transistors (and finding out that two were not mounted correctly, which causes them to not be able to transfer their heat into the chassis metal......), resoldering all connectors, checking fuses, measuring all caps etc. etc.
I found out that apart from 1 or 2 caps on the HV board, ALL the caps on it were bad ! One of them was a Nichicon and that's the first bad Nichicon I've found ! The ESR was still OK but the capacitance on the low side...since I don't want the owner to have another problem in the (near) future I replaced all caps on the monitor by Panasonic 150 degree one's.

With the DVM on my multimeter I could not find any bad diodes or transistors so now it was time to hook it up.
No picture but I did hear HV and deflection chatter.

Measured B+ and it was way too low at 100V. Adjusted the HV pot but I couldn't get it any higher than 110V. Replaced ZD902 and bingo, B+ is back to 180V.
This shows that you cannot test a Zenerdiode with a DVM (well unless it's shorted or open).

I now kinda expected to get at least something on screen but apart from some very faint glare when I turned up the screen pot there was nothing.....I also smelled some heating up electronics, not unusual but I "fingered around" anyway and noticed that one of the huge resistors and one of the chassis transistors really heated up badly and quickly......mmmmm, are we sure all transistors and diodes are OK ?
Measured all of them again, no problem to be found.

So I swapped in the (known working) deflection board of the 6100 in my Gravitar.....and there it is, working !
So it must be Somehting on the deflection board for sure....
Decided to "shotgun" it by comparing every part in that section.....and I found one resistor to be into the mega ohms while it should be only 3.3 Ohms....replaced it and bingo, we have a picture !

Still need to do convergence but otherwise it's ready to go home.......but there is yet another 6100 waiting for its turn :):)

In theory that one should be a bit easier.....we'll see but it's getting the total overhaul anyway :)

Here's a list of what I did on this one:
REPAIR LOGS:

Neckboard: P323
cap replaced
bent focus pin, focus was going bad when heating up

HV Board: P316
Bad caps ! => C901,902,909,914 - Replaced ALL caps on HV board
Bad connection on focus pot, fixed
Q906 mica insulator replaced, cleaned of old and dry thermal grease and applied new
replaced R918 pot
replaced ZD902, was bad (had low B+, only 110V)

Deflection board: P327
LV2000 installed
replaced F700,was 4A should be, and is 3A now
resoldered all connector headers
replaced all tantalum caps C800,801,802,803 with 1uF electrolytic
resoldered posistor, was loose
all other caps checked and OK
all diodes and transistors checked and OK
replaced R612 was bad (no picture, just some "glow" when turning up screen pot, power transistor heating up quickly and badly)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:10:11 AM by Level42 »

smarty

• Hampshire, UK.
    • View Profile
    • Jumpnfire.com
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
So I fixed yet another 6100 :):)

Well done  :D

I always enjoy reading the effort put in to keep our classics alive, great work!
www.jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2015, 07:20:48 PM »
Monitor at home!

Its looks like new!! So clean  :-* :-* :-*

And now... let's install it.....

Weahhhhhhhh!!!  Picture is impressive, bright!!! Fantastic!!!!

ANDRE!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!!MANY THANKS!!!!
Have You Played Atari Today ?

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2015, 07:49:26 PM »
Well done guys. Why is it easy for us to get things done together and so hard for those politicians  ???  ;D

Nice job AndrĂ©, repairman at night, parking lot stalker in the morning  :P

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »
Yiha, very glad it arrived safely.....that neck(board) is SO risky on the 6100....no surrounding protection at all....

One thing Franck, you should try to get the proper cover for the HV unit because there may be some interference from it in the picture.

It should be in fact not too hard to make one yourself from some "standard" metal mesh stuff....

It's great to see it in the cab and displaying Tempest :)

Hah, yeah Leo.....I must say I returned home and thought I'd stay up but after posting about the exchange I did go back and caught some nice hours of hard earned and needed sleep ;)

Now....that second 6100 is one weird beast.....the B+ stays way too high at 260V. I actually found two bad parts, ZD902 (open) and ZD900 (6V across it, not sure if it was bad or the wrong type and we will never know as it broke when I removed it....). didn't have a 13V Zener around so I put two 6.8V Zenerdiode in series and.....still B+ at 260V......argghhh.... :(

But I WILL win this battle too....:)