Author Topic: [Restoration] Missile Storm  (Read 18440 times)

bloodflowers

• View Profile
[Restoration] Missile Storm
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:10 AM »
And after a lot of work, one of the infamous Duke cabs has been restored.

I'll get some much better photos when I can actually put it in the middle of a room instead of blocking the lounge doorway ;)  There was no space in the house but the rain kept stopping me working on this, so I put it inside anyway.

Work list:
Cabinet stripped
Cabinet cleaned (gently!), metal rails removed, polished and refitted with new tacks, t-molding polished, some slight edge damage on the black touched up here and there.
Coin door totally stripped, cleaned, polished, all parts replaced or de-rusted and polished (note: bulbs are still in the mail somewhere...)
Control panel stripped, trackball stripped, cleaned, de-rusted, rebuilt - may have new rollers made so I have spares, unique Sidam part.  Bearings reconditioned due to difficulty getting new ones that were free running enough.  Buttons dismantled and cleaned.  Panel cleaned and polished.
All metal control panel mounting parts cleaned and re-plated where required.
Black metal trim all removed, cleaned, polished.
PCB caps replaced.
Power supply stripped, new line filter, rebuild with new diodes and caps, new power cable made up.
Monitor stripped, shielding de-rusted (created a WHOLE PILE of rust+paint from this part alone), rust protected and primered, chassis dusted out, rebuilt - did not explode, very happy.
Bezel reinforced to restore to correct shape as far as possible - may work on this again sometime to make perfect.
Light fixture and marquee cleaned, new strip light, found someone had disconnected the speakers.  No idea why.
Then it was all put back together again, new screws/etc where possible, earth terminals polished and tested.
Turn on, go deaf due to volume being up so high.  Lose in round 1, always the same for me.

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
Re: [Restoration] Missile Storm
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:45:09 AM »
Lovely job on that bloodf.
Paul.
ZZZ

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:27 AM »
this looks AMAZING!!! can't believe that after sitting on a ship for so many years it's now in collector's hands being played again. fabulous effort!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:06:29 AM »
Very nice !

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »
Wow, truly an incredible job you just pulled there  :spaceace: :spaceace:

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
Beautiful job! Really inspirational. Thanks for sharing and have fun playing! :)
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »
LOVE IT !!!! Sidam is the best bootlegger ever !!!

This does make me feel sorry that I had to cancel mine though......if only I had more space.....

Someone (Muerto) needs to upload this to the KLOV database !!!

Come to Eurocade and bring it over so we can put it next to the Asterock to make some sexy pictures of these Italian beauties !!!!

p.s. one minor thing: no new ball for the trackball ?

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
Someone (Muerto) needs to upload this to the KLOV database !!!

p.s. one minor thing: no new ball for the trackball ?

Nowhere seems to sell 3.5" trackballs, but the old one cleaned up nicely.

Also please don't upload the photo to KLOV yet, I'll be submitting one but I want to get a much better picture. :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:44 AM »
Ah it is 3.5" !! Nice compromise for a smaller CP.....as long as the ball is not heavily worn (which it probably isn't after having been in use so shortly before taking a VERY long "nap") there is no problem.

Yes it must be close to impossible to find a ball that size...

Oops about the pic ;)

Laschek

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
Did you already create a new entry for this on KLOV? If so, I could publish it right away  ;)

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
Did you already create a new entry for this on KLOV? If so, I could publish it right away  ;)

I will do when there's a good picture to use. 

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
Wow, very nice restoration, i like everything about the cab except the marque.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »
Was my first thought too, but it does fit with the great inside bezel...

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:41:41 AM »
Wow, very nice restoration, i like everything about the cab except the marque.

The older marquee design is better (it seems I have one early machine / proto, and one 'tweaked' machine).  You can see them together here, note the orange is added to the bezel design, larger colour ovals on the marquee, and obviously the silver coin door changed to black.

http://www.system11.org/temp/Arcade/Cabs/Missile%20Storm/onboat/mstorm_composite.jpg

Really I had wanted to keep the other marquee for my cab, but P-man pointed out I would be splitting up an art set.  Since I had chosen to keep the later coin door and bezel, it was the right thing to do I guess.  I'm still really tempted to swap them over ;)  Both look better unlit to be honest, the whites get a yellow tint when lit in both cases - it's tempting to try to get a blue filter tube filter to 'cool' the colours, I know where to get yellow ones to warm - maybe they can supply blue.

SeTTleR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
WOW, this really looks amazing! Fantastic work. It's always good to see a machine with such a history alive and being cared of. Thanks for sharing!
I like the artwork. At first I also thought that i don't like the marquee but actually it fits very nicely with the CP and the Bezel.
`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'