Author Topic: The Big Move  (Read 20946 times)

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
The Big Move
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »
As some of you already know, The Big Move of my mostly Zaccaria game collection from my UK warehouse in West Yorkshire, UK to Woodinville, WA began on April 28th. The games were moved using a 40ft shipping container loaded with the assistance of volunteers drawn from the two UK collecting forums, UKVAC and JAMMA+.

I arrived in the UK three days before to begin preparations that included collecting my Zaccaria universal cockpit from a local collector who’d been storing it for me and accepting delivery of the two Astro Wars from the Duke of Lancaster that a “delivery man” was holding for me.

To provide overflow storage for these “new” games (my warehouse was already full), a temporary storage area to make wrapping space and a tail lift to get closer to the height of the container we rented a Luton van with a tail lift.

The prior two days was nothing but wrapping and packing everything that was to ship – not only the actual games themselves but all the PCB’s, test equipment, spare components, monitors, etc.

After two days of preparation wrapping & packing the games are ready to go:

The driver initially freaked over the narrow dead end street but with some reversing it ended up in the “right” place to load. One thing that’s not obvious – deep inside the container is quite dark:

A real test of strength – getting the Zaccaria cockpit on. This one and the Star Wars cockpit were the difficult ones:

Half way through loading and so far things are going well.

All games and boxes on. I’d booked 3 hours for loading and everything I’d packed got on in less than 2 hours
There’s a little bit of space left…

Originally, I didn’t have time to sort through & pack the monitors so was planning on being unable to take them but with an hour spare and a little bit of space left we decided to get them boxed and on. The volunteers helped box up the Hantarex's:

After it’s all done, my place is empty aside from the 5 that are staying to be sold off/traded:

Final check with the driver before it’s time to wave them goodbye until early June:

One I’d sold off was a 2 player Gauntlet. After 12 years sat idle the Gauntlet powers up and works fine.  The buyer is happy.

Something of this scale would have been difficult to achieve without the help of the volunteers. A big thank you all round. Though I didn’t have much time to chat, it was still good to see some faces I’d not seen in years and some new ones:

Regards,
Paul.
ZZZ

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Move
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:11 AM »
Very nice Paul, can't wait to see your awesome collection lined up in your gameroom. :D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:08:35 AM »
Impressive :)

40 foot containers are SO large once you step in them. To compare, I once moved house and (almost) everything we owned fitted in a 20' (that was long before I collected).

Good to see you had a lot of help, can you put some avatars to the faces ? (I know Alpha1 and Rav of course)..

I assume you "filled up" the container with some material ? Else stuff will get shifted/thrown around for sure during the trip....

Rumor has it that one of the left behind cabs has my name on it :):):):):):)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:04:08 AM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »
great effort, paul, nice to see that the arcade collecting community is always there to help out fellow members!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
Great to see that many so many helped - for sure speeded up the process! I hope the gontainer will get there safe and sound! :spaceace: :spaceace:
And MAN that Gauntlet 2 player looks sweet!!!!

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
Thanks for the report! Pretty cool to see the community helping out like that. Good luck with the move!

Ohh... and I see a Zaccaria Star Splash!  ;D
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
The zacc's are invading the US ! I love it !  ;D

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »
The zacc's are invading the US ! I love it !  ;D
Yeah, I think Paul has more Zaccs by himself, than all the other US. residents. ;D

mumboking

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »
I like how the truck has "GOLDSTAR" written on the back. Reminds me of the GoldStar 3DO.
I enjoy reading about arcade cabinets. I don't own one though... :(

shilmover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
Can't wait!  I'm about 20-30 minutes from where these are going...   ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »
Can't wait!  I'm about 20-30 minutes from where these are going...   ;D

You lucky B@stard !  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:55:56 PM by Etienne »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
Nice to see all those guys helping you, how many cabinets are you taking with you?

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
Approx 34.
ZZZ

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »
I assume you "filled up" the container with some material ? Else stuff will get shifted/thrown around for sure during the trip....

Don't say things like that. It's not nice  :o
ZZZ

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »

Don't say things like that. It's not nice  :o

O-MY-GOD !!!!!!!!!     :o

Please tell me you fixed the cabs in some way ? not to mention the rest ?? Didn't the truck driver say anything about that ??

I've worked on a container terminal for a holiday job and believe me, they are not gentle with them !!

A container is just like a box you send by post or DHL or UPS....it gets shaken, rattled yes sometimes even bumped over (ok, not often but I saw one tipped over the side on a ship while they were unloading).

I pray for you....and rhe container...(and I'm an atheist !)