Author Topic: Help with Advancemame for DOS  (Read 10635 times)

amadama

• View Profile
Help with Advancemame for DOS
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am hoping someone can help me with configuration of Advancemame for dos. I have used advancemame and advancemenu as found in the advancecd project and it works great on a bootable cd which I am using on my neogeo cab. I would like to build a new PC for my Pacman from scratch and am wondering if I should use the dos version for fast boot up times (I will put on an external USB thumb drive or do like Bruno did on his Donkey Kong with a CF to IDE adapter).
Is there any drawback to using the dos version or should I use the linux version? Also, are the config files and supported hardware the same?
Thanks in advance!
Alex

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Help with Advancemame for DOS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »
HI Alex,

Here's how I'm thinking when I plan to use a computer for emulate a game  :

- Do the game I'll emulate needs specific controls like analogic controls ?

* If yes, I'll go for windows because DOS cannot use USB ports. Exemple Stars Wars and the flight yoke, Out Run and his driving wheel/pedals, ...

* If no -> DOS ALL THE WAY !!!

Here in Europe,  new arcade monitors are too expensive ! That is the reason  why I'm using TV. Here, we have something great on our TV -> The scart connector that allows us to input a true RGB signal, and the result is 100% equal to a real arcade monitor of course ;-) BUt it need to build a custom cable VGA to SCART.

Advance Mame is able to send a real 15 Khz  to an arcade monitor (or an European TV via the scart connector). So Advance mame is able to display the game (if emulated of course) exactly like the real game board. That why I'm using it of course  8)

But Advance Mame doesn't work with all graphics cards  :-\ The best one is the ArcadeVGA from Ultimarc because this card can output a lot of different resolution for different games... So this card is the best  choice for a mame cab, but maybe not to emulate only one game.
I'm using very often old cards like ATI Rage Pro II, 3D Rage or Gforce II MX ... enough powerful to emulate old games like Defender, Galaxian, ... Don't use PCI card, only AGP by the way  ;)

For example, a simple Pentium II 450 mhz, SB PCI 128 audio card,  64mb ram can run Pac Man at 60 frames per sec...exaclty like the original...

It's impossible to give you here the right hardware to use, the right version of mame, the right configuration... the best thing to do is to experience all of this yourself  :P I mean when I'm trying to emulate a game... sometime is not accurate...so I change only the graphic card and see if it's better or now ... I upgrade the processor and see if it help ? If it not help, I know the bottleneck should be the graphic card ... if not, I disable the audio and see if the game run at full speed or not...

The first question to ask is  : What do I want to do ?

Mamecab with many games ? only one game ? Arcade accurate or no ? ...and after that,  you'll be able the choose the right direction for your project  ;) The question about fast boot or not... is not important for the moment  I would say:P

Good luck on your project  :)

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »
Hi Bruno,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm currently using the Advancemame for Linux on a Pentium3 1.2Ghz box with an older Matrox G400 video card. It's hooked into my NeoGeo cab with an Ultimarc J-pac adapter and it works great. I use it for playing lots of horizontal games that only use a joystick. The problem is that it takes a really long time to boot. Once it does it works like a champ.
My new Pac-man box will house as many vertical games as I can put on it. I do have a USB spinner on it so I'm glad you mentioned that. I guess I will not be using the DOS version of Advancemame! I will probably use a stripped down Windows XP with the Soft-15khz program or get an ArcadeVGA card.
Thanks again!
Alex

(I wish we had scart connectors here. I know arcade monitors are not as expensive here as in europe, but it would be great to go and buy some used tv's from anywhere and use them in an arcade machine!)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:25:28 AM »
Here's a question for you as well Bruno...

Do you PREFER using an Advance Mame setup?  or original arcade PCB's?

The way I see it, it seems to be a great idea as parts are getting harder to find, It would be easy to replace PC parts rather than finding a games' PCB & dump those old power supplies!

We're screwed here in the US, No SCART!!! ( how did yall get so lucky to have this input option?) so we have to buy new monitors and all the fees/hassles that go with it.

So, what's your take on this??   ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
Yop, of course I would prefer using original hardware when possible... but I spend so much money in the past in trying to repair old arcade monitors or old boards  :-\ I even bought some spare boards in USA, but is so expensive to buy them via ebay US, than ship them to Europe, and see that they are not working on arrival  >:( ...and I don't talk about incoming taxes fee here ... and the shipping delay... for few weeks to few months... some of my games would take ages to be working  :-X

As I can see, there are very ofter spare boards for classics games on Ebay US... but here, in Belgium -or even in Europe- it's *almost* impossible to find a *working* Spy Hunter board or Battlezone items by example  :'( :'( :'(
If I were in USA, it would not be a problem to buy some 'untested' boards, and try to make ONE works with few spares !

And after that, even if I can fix a board after spending so much time, money... the game will have another problem very quick... they are so old  :-[

I prefer spend my energy/time/money to the cabinet renovation first  :P

Regarding the SCART connector, I would say you are lucky... because you don't need to use a new TV ... you can buy *brand new* arcade monitor in USA (less than $200 as I see)

;) :-*

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »
I guess you're right, I was really thinking about Vector Games too, when asking that question..  No one makes Vector monitors anymore, do they.... not even for replacement part?

Oh, One more thing.. Monitors (around here) seem to cost 400.00 or more! Those arcade distributors price them like gold!!  :evil:

That is why I was commending you on being able to use regular T.V.'s

(they are cheap, I can buy a 25'' T.V. for 199.00 at Wal Mart)  and the use of the nifty Scart Connector!  It sounds like a great idea!!   :D :D

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:23:59 PM by Sonic 1992 »

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »
The 19" monitors can be had for a good price (even with shipping).
Check this out:

http://www.betson.com/images/cms/financing/a703758ab5cef105687a481ec9af45a5_ASI%202008.pdf

$139 for a 19"!!
I'm thinking of picking up a few to keep as spares.

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »
Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess *I* was looking in the wrong places, or not looking hard enough.....   :oops: :oops: :oops: 

Printing and keeping that ad!!!   Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D