Author Topic: Dragon's Lair (and other things) - A Personal Tour  (Read 28083 times)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
Dragon's Lair (and other things) - A Personal Tour
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to drop a little personal note on how much my sister Tricia, and I loved Dragon's Lair, As well as many other video games!!!!

Sadly My sister Tricia passed away in 1996. She was my best friend!  :'(   This is kind of a tribute to everything videogame related we loved as kids!!!   :D

First of all, Here's what we looked like in 1983 when Dragon's Lair came out!! These are our school pictures, I was in the 8th Grade, Tricia in the 7th grade. You can see that we were videogame fanatics at the time.. Just look at our T Shirts!!

Sonic 1992:   :lol:   :lol:    :lol:    :lol:     Stupid Zits !   :twisted:

Tricia:

Here's another picture of Trica, (1984)  with her Donkey Kong shirt.

Here is a picture of Tricia with a friend next to Stargate when It was new. (1981)  This picture was taken at our local convience store.

Whenever Tricia or myself saw anything in the paper or T.V. guide on videogames, we always cut them out and kept them!  Here is some of the things we saved!

Christmas Comes To Pac Land!

Today is Pac Man Day:

That's Incredible!!   Remember This??

Trick Or Chomp!!

StarCade!!!

Here is a picture from 1991 when Time Traveler was new.  Taken from a local newspaper:

And a Picture of me with Time Traveler!

Here's that picture of me from the Dragon's Lair video 1991:

When I was in the U.S. Coast Guard,  (1988) I was stationed in Seattle, Washington.  I was suprised to find a Dragon's Lair in a local arcade!!!  I played it, and slayed the dragon after 2 games!!  I haven't seen DL since 1984!!  I had my camera!!!!

Notice my big 80's style glasses!!  LOL  :lol:

A few Christmas Day Pictures!:

I got a pinball game, 1978:

Horray!  I got a Donkey Kong II  (1984)  It is now in my display case Today!!!  ;D

Here is a picture of me playing my ColecoVision in 1984, The console is just out of sight, sorry...

Here is a picture of me when I got my Terminator 2 Pinball machine new back in 1992:  Sadly I no longer have the Frogger or Gorf machines, I regretfully traded them for the UltraCade when it was new. NOTE: I'm gonna get them back some day!

This was our favorite game in 1982:  Donkey Kong Jr.  Tricia took this picture of the game at our local convience store:

You can barely make it out, but this is one of the first Dragon's Lair machines that we played, it was at a 7-11 store, we took a picture of it!!

You might laugh at this, but when the city rebuilt our street in 1984,  I went out and wrote Dragon's Lair 2-22-84  with a Pac Man in the cement!  You can still read it to this day!!  I took a picture of it before we moved to our new house.

My Teacher with our new classroom computer in 1982!   :shock:

Here's what was on T.V. on Saturday Morning!!  (1984)  I couldn't wait!!   ;D ;D

This is when I got my new Street Figher 2 Machine in 1993, I no longer have this game, I traded it for another.. Wish I didn't do that, I'm gonna get it back too!  Note: I will not ever trade any more games! I regret ever doing that! I learned my lesson!  :oops:

This is Sonic 1992 with a friend at our local Wal Mart store, she is the one who helped me get the large Star Wars Naboo fighter display!  (1999)

Playing Street Fighter 2 on Super Nintendo 1992!!

My sister Tricia, She loved to draw, and when she wasn't playing Dragon's Lair, She was drawing it. She would remember scenes from the game as best as possible, then go home and draw it from memory. She did most of this work in 1983-84 when she was 13 years old.  I kept these drawings stored safely, and I wanted to share them with everyone on the DLF Board!  Enjoy!

Dirk With A Boom Box... Yes, It's the 80's!!!!

BreakDance Dirk!!  I Love the 80's

Here's a drawing of the sideart from Donkey Kong Jr.

I hope you enjoyed our little flashback of our great childhood memories!!  This definately shows how much videogames and the 80's in general had a major impact on our lives!!  

Just like the cool song from Eddie Money says......  I WANNA GO BACK!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sonic 1992

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:47:56 PM by Sonic 1992 »

Dexter

• View Profile
Re: Dragon's Lair (and other things) - A Personal Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:46:19 AM »
That is a AWESOME tribute, sorry to hear about your sister  :(

I'm the same I SOOOO love the 80's (except the hair lol) love the music and the video games.

There are some great photo's you have there. Takes me back to a time I once loved too  ;D

Thanks for sharing

amadama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:35:50 AM »
I second Dexter's remarks. I too am very sorry about your sister. It is a bittersweet story you tell. Thank you for sharing your memories with us, very touching.
Best of luck to you and thanks again for the great photos and time travel.
Alex

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »

The drawings make me have some tears rolling down my cheek : unreachable old good time.
Retro gamer feelings apart, thank you for your really moving testimony
In those terrible moments, be aware that some friends beyond the sees think about your sorrow and pray
for your sister.

Sincerly,
Pierre

JamesSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »
Thanks for posting this. It is a very moving post particularly as I have just watched your Youtube videos with your sister in them. It is very sad to lose someone so young.

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »
Thank you all for your kind responses. Tricia was my best friend, as you saw in my youtube videos, we were alot alike.

As long as someone is always remembered, they have never "died"   :'(   :D

Thanks again everyone!    Barry   Sonic 1992

jujusl [FR]

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:22:26 PM »
I got a strange feeling after having read your post ; a mix of sadness (so sorry for your sister), nostalgy (these good old times are over), but also hope and joy as retrogaming is one way to get back in time and make these memories live again.

Stéphane

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
Bazza,

What can one say, apart from Thankyou very much for sharing all those cool Drawings and Photos, that had taken me back in the day while looking through them, my heart beated like it did when playing DL in 84 (Europe Atari release year) I feel for you mate, you seem to have had more than a sister there, remember she's proud of you mate in what you have done and are still doing!

Once again thanks!!

-Finny
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 07:03:51 AM »
Thank you for your kind response Jason!!  :D :D

Again, everyone here has been great, friendly and understanding.  I sure wish I could come and visit all of you over there!!

Thank you all! 

Barry   Sonic 1992

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
Thank you for sharing this Personal Tour.
Very touching.
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »
Updated 4-23-2013   Damaged links to photos now restored!  :D

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »
Updated 4-23-2013   Damaged links to photos now restored!  :D

amazing flashback. you know.. one side of my dk jr. has no artwork on it... some day i might use the one in your posting. love it!
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
Wow.....that was great to read.....thanks !!!

Hah: Mork & Mindy "New show"  ;D ;D   Loved it !

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
Wow......

This drove me through memory lane, to my childhood with my own sister

I got all these mix feelings reading this

great way to honour her and I love the writing in the cement

Wil2000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »
Like your previous post bumps, I discover another story from you that I missed, and this one is pretty nice and sad at the same time, but it is very kind from you to share it with us.