Author Topic: [Roadtrip] Ninten-two  (Read 85364 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] Ninten-two
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
Great story you lucky ba...rd, I guess most of us would trade a mame cab for some original Nintendo stuff.

probably yes, but i couldn't have done it without joerg's help, because i have no idea how to set up a mame cab. joerg told me yesterday that although space firebird IS rare, he's just no fan of the game, so he'd rather have a game he likes (that is: amidar) than a rare game that he doesn't like that much. makes sense and somehow i agree, but of course having space firebird in my nintendo row simply makes my day! :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
Where did the seller find these?

a friend bought them back in 1989 for 250 german marks for the dk (around 120 euros) and 100 marks for the space firebird (with roc'n ropes installed). both of them were fully working back then, but when he moved the games into his cellar, donkey kong stopped working and so he closed the doors behind those cabs for more than 20 years. a few months ago, he thought of those games again and micha came to his mind. before bringing them to the dumpster, he asked micha if he wanted to have them for free - well, do i have to say "no-brainer"? so they transported the cabs over to micha's house into his living room (the picture with his kid playing donkey kong was taken there) where he inspected the DK and realized that one of the fuses on the power supply was blown. so he grabbed a spare one from the space firebird, put it in and voila - donkey kong was back in the game! :)

the game does have a slight horizontal hold problem: when you turn on the game, it "slides" from left to right, adjusting the potentiometer on the chassis fixes that. however, when you turn the game off and on again, it's the same problem all over again. any ideas on this?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »

here's a picture of the arcade flyer's front :arrow:

unfortunately, neither its art nor its logo have anything to do with the actual sideart which was supposed to be on the cab (and i'm afraid that this picture is just not good enough - even for our vector king)

here's the only straight-on photo of the marquee i could find :arrow:

@etienne: do you think it would be possible to make a vector out of that? i know it wouldn't be accurate (perhaps 90%), but i'd rather have a rough marquee than one which says TV ;)

however, since the space firebird restoration will have to wait a little while longer, i'll try to come up with an original marquee (and sideart) first before putting another heavy workload on you. when the time has come and i haven't been successful yet, i might have to ask you for help!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »
Klov says thereĀ“s 8 members with a Space Firebird, perhaps contacting them for a scan would be the way to go??

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
Great story Ully!

Woow! The Nintendo Space Firebird is THE prize! I love the shape of that one! I remember having seen one like that one (with that shape) on a black & white picture, but the game was Radar Scope. Anayway, this is a very rare one, never see it for real! Congratulation  :P
Hehe, I see know why you reacted about this post  ;D!

Of course, you had to had to had that blue DK! What a collection now!  8)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
the game does have a slight horizontal hold problem: when you turn on the game, it "slides" from left to right, adjusting the potentiometer on the chassis fixes that. however, when you turn the game off and on again, it's the same problem all over again. any ideas on this?

Replace the potmeter  ???  ;D

@etienne: do you think it would be possible to make a vector out of that? i know it wouldn't be accurate (perhaps 90%), but i'd rather have a rough marquee than one which says TV ;)

however, since the space firebird restoration will have to wait a little while longer, i'll try to come up with an original marquee (and sideart) first before putting another heavy workload on you. when the time has come and i haven't been successful yet, i might have to ask you for help!

You where saying ?  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
You where saying ?  ;D

nothing at all, my friend! ;D

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
PCB:

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:35 PM »
Congrats on the great catch Ully! :) Simply awesome cabs.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 12:29:06 AM »
By the way....

I bet this famous song from a famous Nintendo game played in your head when you got the cabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7-weoR5Co
Dunno what to put here.

Digimon

• Germany - Hamburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »
Great Cab with a great Game!
Congrats
Searching Zaccaria Stuff: Zaxxon CPO, JumpBug CPO or CPO Repro
next project: assemble Zaccaria Vanguard.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »

sometimes the answer to your problem is staring you right in the face :arrow:

i've been asking you guys what you would do with a spare nintendo cabinet and eventually decided to use my mario bros conversion cab as a shell for popeye. this leaves me with some spare parts and guess what's mounted on the control panel: 2-way joysticks, the perfect candidate(s) for my nintendo space firebird :)!
i also found new instruction stickers and a new instruction card on ebay - wonderful!

let's mark those items off the list and see what else i still need:

- space firebird marquee (perhaps the vector king can work his magic here?)
- a set of sideart
- 2-way joystick
- new instruction stickers
- space firebird pcb
- nintendo space firebird manual (looking for the upright version)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »
the vector king will do his best  ;)

Do you have measurements for me ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
the vector king will do his best  ;)

Do you have measurements for me ?

not yet! the marquee that's installed is slightly narrower than the actual cab, but i guess with the correct height and the marquee file you have you should / might be able to calculate the missing width. i'll have to go to the storage tomorrow anyway, so i'll get you what you need!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
Just measure between the two side panels, it would be a dissapointment if the calculation is off based on the crappy pic, and ending up with a marquee that does not fit !  ;D

Maybe muerto's idea is not so bad, i mean it is doable, but not as accurate as i would like it to be..
Will you contact the klov-ers, or should i start pm-ing ?  :P

Perhaps it will be nice to also check the "visible area" ?

I mean like this :

(pic is comming..  ;D)

EDIT:

Here is the pic..  you get my point i guess ?

I assume "C" is the same ?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:30:23 PM by Etienne »