Author Topic: (Road Trip) Pole Position Cockpit  (Read 10773 times)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
(Road Trip) Pole Position Cockpit
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
A week ago Brry71 posted he had a non working, but complete Pole Position cockpit for sale. The price was okay and it was located 15 minutes driving from my where i live. I also read some good stories about the upcoming clone pcb so i decided to break my new years resolution and just buy the damn thing.  ;D

I made this short road trip with a friend who also had to pick something up, this is our transportation for the day

Let's hit the road, this shouldn't take very long.

So after some driving we arrived at the first location and loaded in this thing. Gerrit is intending to clean the bike and sell it on marktplaats to make some quick $$$  ;D

We brought the bike to its new home and headed off to pick up the real racing monster.

It's located in a small (and pretty boring) town called bussum.

The cockpit is stored in of these garage boxes.

After a few minutes waiting Barry arrived and we opened up the box. Looks pretty cool!

I'm glad we decided to rent a Van with a loading lift..

The cabinet at it's new location

Let's take a closer look... The side art is in okay condition...

The usual dents and broken pieces of wood but nothing that can't be fixed.

The plexi glass in the back is missing..

But luckily the marque is in good condition..

CPO and gear holder need replacement.  >:(

The story goes that the cab has been running on location until 6 years ago, it definitely made some serious cash.  :o

It's even working on euro's!  ;D

Another very cool feature of the cockpit are the 4 speakers, they all have their own volume control knob.

The pcb looks very clean, and it seems to be working (red light is on) but the machine plays blind, more on that later.

Complete manual and stickers are included.

Some info about the previous owners

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:23:38 PM by gyruss »

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
Re: (Road Trip) Pole Position Cockpit
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:11:13 PM »
nice catch pieter ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »
wonderful catch, pieter! pole position in the cockpit version is the way that game was meant to play. a shame that your back plexi is missing. i have one which has a crack, but it's better than nothing. if you're interested, you can have it for free, the least it could do is serve as a template for creating a new one!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
Ooops you did it again  ;D
Apparently it's almost working, congrats!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
wonderful catch, pieter! pole position in the cockpit version is the way that game was meant to play. a shame that your back plexi is missing. i have one which has a crack, but it's better than nothing. if you're interested, you can have it for free, the least it could do is serve as a template for creating a new one!

Thanks Ully, that's a kind offer. Do you thing it's hard to duplicate? I read somewhere you can bend it with a head pistol. 

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »
Nice find!  Looks clean  :)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
Looks really nice, if the pcb is also working, you found a real treasure. ;)
Congrats Pieter, from now you can make a head to head restoring competition with Steve (ataritoobin)!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
Thanks Ully, that's a kind offer. Do you thing it's hard to duplicate? I read somewhere you can bend it with a head pistol. 

don't think so! andré or etienne are the plexi guys, they should know. should i bring it with me when i visit chris the first week of april? belgium - netherlands is closer than germany - netherlands (at least from where i'm living)!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:26:34 PM »
Cool   8)
In the living room  :-X  ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
cool indeed!

The plexi i dont know, i assume its done by heating.

I know that andre let some company do the canopy's from SW...

All i let them do was cut the plexi, not bend..
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:09:18 PM by Etienne »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
And one more Pole Position Cockpit saved! Well done Gyruss  :)
Thanks for the trip  8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »
Congrats Pieter !!

This PP cockpit has an interesting story.... Do you guys remember that I was chasing a PP cockpit in France ? Right during that period I was tipped by someone that he still knew where there was a good looking PP cockpit for sale in Holland. Naturally it would have been inifinitly easier and cheaper to get that one instead of the French one. So this too was a reason for me to let the French one go, but I couldn't communicate that until I would actually get it. The reason was I had called the seller a couple of time througout several weeks but the problem was that he had a lot of (newer) stuff in front of it and couldnt reach it untill that stuff was gone...
I asked if I could come have a look nontheless but he refused because it was impossible to reach he said and he insured me he would call if it was accesible again. Weeks and months went by and suddenly he called. This was when I had already played both PP cockpit and Hard Drivin' at Funspot during the summer and decided I wanted to go for the HD instead of PP. In fact , I already had bought both HDs. I did know of one friend who was interested in it though. I tried contacting again, very hard, and when I reached I had no time to go by....
When I e mailed a week or two later he replied it was sold. I was annoyed, but what could I do ?

So I lost "view" on it UNTILL Barry listed it here for sale and I asked if he had bought it in the provence of North-Holland and then I was pretty sure that it was THAT PP :)

So this "had me name on it" for a while....and later even for a shorter while another members' name....and now Pieter has it which is funny and great IMHO.....

Pieter, I would take Ully's offer so we can use that as a model. I am positive "my" perspex dealer can recreate it, only the color might be an issue.
As a reference, the SW cockpit SET that I have had done cost about 90 euros incl. drilling of all the holes, bends and exact size.

Cool that its working blind....a very good starting point....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
I love that Dutch license by the way !! I know some hate it but for me this adds to the character of the cab and that it has been in Holland for its entire life :)
Very cool that it has been actually in operation until into the Euro era !!! For such a long arcade life it looks very nice and I think the number of plays is relatively low....

zapposh

• View Profile
    • replay
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
Excellent find. Well done!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »