Author Topic: The Arcade League  (Read 5067 times)

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
The Arcade League
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
Hi!

Maybe some of you guys already recognized that we founded an Arcade League in Germany ...The idea is to revive the spirit of yesterdays gaming. We all remember the days were homework was done fast to have time to go to the icecream aparlor (like it was in our town) or the arcade hall to meet the other kids and watch the older guys play. The competition was there! Who will be the next highscore holder and will me money be enough to do the attemps I need to master Level 3 ...

It was time to get that competition back!! First we tried the "online score, offline gaming" variant in one of our german forums. There was a game announced every week or two, you play it at home and submit your highscore to the forum. Not that exciting ...

NOW, after a lot of discussion, we founded the Arcade League. We MEET once a month or so to play against each other. We organized to get four (!) regional leagues running, with four to six members each. Every member has to have at least one cab. Emulation, generic machine or dedicated doesn't matter. On every gaming day, three games are played (the host decides which ones), every attendand gets three coins per game. The best men (or woman, because Mrs. Caveman is also attending! 8)) that are the champions of their own region compete in the national finals against each other. That will be at the end of this year or maybe the beginning of 2013.

So .. what do you think, you guys interested in doing some regional chapters all over europe?? Would be awsome to get some multinational event maybe in one or two years ... finals could be at the next Eurocade!  ;D

C'mon. Let's spread this all over the world!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: The Arcade League
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Funny thing is that not so long ago i suggested some "casual meetings" here in holland with a few close members  ;D

Excellent opportunity to participate if you ask me..

I like the idea !  :spaceace:

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
+1

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
+1

One problem is that the host is usually best at his own games....

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
Hehe ... I hoped that the Eurocade crew would join in ... you guys live close enough together to get it going, I guess, not to mention that you have cabs enough to play :)

@Level42: Hmmm ... yeah, we thought about that and that it usually true but the first event here showed that even the host can be beaten by some complete strangers. In our league the games have to be announced two weeks before the event so that everyone can practice on that good ol' mame cab at home ;)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
+1

One problem is that the host is usually best at his own games....

Not always  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
In our league the games have to be announced two weeks before the event so that everyone can practice on that good ol' mame cab at home ;)
Good luck practicing Star Wars  ;);)

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »
Hehe ... yeah, but that's only one game. Let's say the majority of the games can be played quite good on a mame machine. You need at least two games that you are unbeatable in, to win a competition day. That is not that easy! We will see if this works good for us. If not, we will come up with a better ruleset next season ;)

Tup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »
A very nice idea!