Author Topic: [Restoration] Gran Trak 10 - the first EVER driving game  (Read 37828 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Gran Trak 10 - the first EVER driving game
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »
Yes, Andre is right, it does not matter what it looks like, as long as the value is 1M Ohm and it fits in the hole, your all set.

or you can do as i did with my zacc powersupply:

But it sure looks much more authentic with an "onboard" style pot  ;D

The point is to have something that can regulate that 1M ohm of resistance..  i mean if you know the value of the resistance it has when the pot is in the correct position, you could even use a regular resistor with that value.
(thats what was in my CK powersupply..)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
Youll have to check if it will fit physically. My first hunch is that this one is smaller.
Check the datsheet for the sizes between the legs and compare with the one on the PCB.

i'm having a hard time to find a fitting potentiometer. the ones i've checked on rs online all seem to be too small (if my understanding of those datasheets is correct). here are the rough dimensions i would need :arrow:

any other sources (in europe) i could check?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »
I would just bend one or two legs, and solder a new bridge from the hole to the leg

the third leg can be in the existing hole.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
yesterday night i finally decided on a potentiometer to use as a replacement for the pot repair and once again rs online's delivery was lightning fast. here's the new potentiometer which (hopefully) will fix my coundown problems :arrow:

I would just bend one or two legs, the third leg can be in the existing hole.

as suggested by etienne, i bent two legs to make it fit into the pre-existing holes

looking good on location, doesn't it?

time to put this to the test - let's turn on the game, coin it up and press the start button!

click on the following picture to see what happened :arrow:

YES, BABY!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

anxiously i hit the gas pedal and drove the car into the pylons! a loud crashing sound, a quick spin of the car, that's it. put the gear shifter into reverse and drove back onto the track!

YES, BABY - PART DEUX!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

from what i can tell now (didn't have a lot of time to inspect it thoroughly) everything is fully working! of course i'll have to drive a few test rounds, crash into tons of pylons and complete one lap in reverse, but my hopes are high that this is it!!!

one more (cosmetic) thing: taped directly onto the screen are a couple of glue strips to indicate the spots of the track where the player receives points (when reaching those spots). those glue strips are almost invisible to the eye, they must have lost part of their original color through the years. have a look, here's one of those glue strips photographed under good lighting conditions from the side, in reality they are difficult to spot :arrow:

my idea is to replace those glue strips by (half-)transparent colored tape to make the "score-areas" more obvious, but i don't know which color to take! at the moment i lean towards yellow or red because it's the main color of the cabinet, but perhaps you have other suggestions / preferences ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Laschek

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »

YES, BABY!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

anxiously i hit the gas pedal and drove the car into the pylons! a loud crashing sound, a quick spin of the car, that's it. put the gear shifter into reverse and drove back onto the track!

YES, BABY - PART DEUX!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Cool! So it seems I was right, which is even cooler!  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
Cool! So it seems I was right, which is even cooler!  ;D

totally! the right guy at the right place at the right time - thanks sascha!!! :spaceace:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
YESS !!!!

Great to see it solved your problem, and the pot looks very neat !

not that anyone will see it since the cab will be closed, but i understand the analness in this details.

Its the details that count sometimes  ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
Nice fix, great to see it is working. ;)

simplesi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
Love this cab... the design... the colours... simply stunning. Ully, I would keep the transparent parts red. Yellow may look too washed out. Although on your first pic on page 1 they look yellowish. Si

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
Ully, I would keep the transparent parts red. Yellow may look too washed out. Although on your first pic on page 1 they look yellowish. Si

the yellow ones you see on that picture are the miles counter  (= score) sticker and the time sticker, the transparent ones are hardly visible. i'll probably go with transparent red on those stickers, haven't decided yet and i also have to find sticky transparent tape!

simplesi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
Ully, you could try a glue instead of tape? Maybe something like UHU adhesive. It dries clear and won't damage the glass.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 06:50:34 AM »
Ully, you could try a glue instead of tape? Maybe something like UHU adhesive. It dries clear and won't damage the glass.

thx for the tip, but i've found colored transparent stickers in the meantime. i'll have them send me some color samples and then i'll decide!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »

thx for the tip, but i've found colored transparent stickers in the meantime. i'll have them send me some color samples and then i'll decide!
Do you have a link ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
Do you have a link ?

yes i do, here you go! what you see there are rolls of colored transparent tape in width of 5, 10 and 20 millimeters. they also sell bigger sheets of that stuff, but those are too big for what i need. i should have the color sample sheet tomorrow (saturday the latest) and then i'll decide which color(s) to take. if you are interested in that stuff as well and we need the same color, you can have some of my stuff since i will only use a couple of centimeters. if you need a different color, i can add it to my order (to save shipping costs for you)! looks like great, high-quality stuff!

simplesi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
Ully, you probably have this already. Anyway, here's a link to the manual for this game:

http://www.cityofberwyn.com/manuals/GranTrak10.pdf

Si