Author Topic: Hello from Budapest (first post)!  (Read 22659 times)

snakeimp

• View Profile
    • Pinball Museum Budapest
Hello from Budapest (first post)!
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
Hi all,

I'm Attila (snakeimp) from Budapest, Hungary. I've been following this forum for a long time and now I have just decided to say hello to everyone. Here you can view some of my arcade machines: http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff422/snakeimp/
And here is my not so frequently updated blog (in Hungarian of course :) ): http://www.gamer365.hu/profile.php?user_id=85

Currently I own a couple of custom-made cabs (two home-made tabletops and a really nice Neo-Geo cab converted from a Challenger, btw it has a 4-in-1 JAMMA setup), an aussie-style cocktail table with a 3-in-1 JAMMA selector built-in and also a few dedicated cabinets, like Mortal Kombat 2, 3, 4, Killer Instinct (1) (all of them - except MK4 - are completely reconditioned with new artworks etc.), oh and I almost forgot... an After Burner upright and my favorite one: a fully renewed Nintendo PlayChoice Super De-Luxe cabinet with 10 game carts and a 2-in-1 JAMMA switch installed. :)

I have a fairly small apartment, so I haven't got too much space to store any more cabs, despite this I always plan to get some new ones: a Dracula and a Tales of the Arabian Nights pinball machine and a Naomi universal cab, the latter one will go to my kitchen at my gf's biggest pleasure. :))

I also have an Atari ST with the Dragon's Lair laserdisc setup (fueled by the rather rare Atari ST control floppy disk), an Amiga 500 with another Dragon's Lair LD rig, a Software Corner PAL Space Ace laserdisc and own almost 100 (original, no bootlegs) arcade PCBs, a lot of Neo-Geo MVS, AES carts along with some Japanese superguns (Boardmaster Blast City, Sigma Raijin). I'm a beginner but I'm starting to feel (after having read back my little introduction) my collection is growing and it's becoming quite insane (to me at least :)), mainly here, in Hungary. However I've deciced (again :)) to sort out and cut down the size of my collection a bit (or move to a big house I'll fill with a lot of machines) as I really don't play, "just" chiefly posess these beauties.

My recently acquired pinball machine is a fully restored, beautiful Revenge from Mars. I've got two another pinballs: Swords of Fury (uniquely restored) and a Freddy: Nightmare on Elm street machine. I like dark themed pinballs mostly.
I have a nice LaserActive system with almost all the LDs released for this great console. Also a bunch of other retro gaming stuffs and accessories, so now I just stop this list, it'd be too long.

Cheers,
snakeimp
http://myworld.ebay.com/snak3imp
http://www.facebook.com/snakeimp
"Everything is going to hell, but we should smile all the way." - Lars von Trier

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Budapest (first post)!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »
Welcome !

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
Hi Ati and welcome aboard! ;)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »
Welcome here! Love your Nintendo cab.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Welcome snakeimp!
Love that cocktail table of yours!
...oh and by the way: do stay in your "little" apartment because as you already know: more space = more cabs!  ;)

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »
Hi and welcome here!
I see you're a LD game fan, good :)
Any chances you could share images of your copies of the LDG control programs for Atari ST and Amiga?
See you around,

Matteo

snakeimp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:45:25 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. : ) Yes, for now I must stay in my little cosy arcade-flat, but soon I'm going to need some new cabs, that's why I have to buy a house. : )

Yes, I'd gladly dump the Atari ST Dragon's Lair control program disk's content to an image file. The problem is I don't really know how it works with the ST (on the Amiga it's easy, I've done that a few times). Btw, I have a 1040STFM.
"Everything is going to hell, but we should smile all the way." - Lars von Trier

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
Welcome to DFL/ALS'  :)

...I also have an Atari ST with the Dragon's Lair laserdisc setup (fueled by the rather rare Atari ST control floppy disk),

Wow, like Matteo said... I wanna see that! I didn't know it was possible to use an Atari ST for that.
Another LD fan, yes!  ;) Enjoy the place  :-*

Any chances you could share images of your copies of the LDG control programs for Atari ST and Amiga?
The Amiga file is available somewhere here;)

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
The Amiga file is available somewhere here;)

Yes, but I always ask for a dump if possible. You never know, a different and/or unknown version may pop up.

Matteo

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 11:12:31 PM »

Yes, I'd gladly dump the Atari ST Dragon's Lair control program disk's content to an image file. The problem is I don't really know how it works with the ST (on the Amiga it's easy, I've done that a few times). Btw, I have a 1040STFM.

That's very easy because the Atari TOS floppy format was almost 100% compatible with MS-Dos (or PC if you like) format. So you should be able to do it on a regular PC as long as you have a floppy disk drive on it...

If it is not a bootable floppy you should even be able to simply copy the files. At least....that's all in theory of course, but worth a try (remember to write protect the floppy though ;))

Oh and welcome of course ! :)

[Edit] Some googling actually produced a program to do imaging of Atari ST floppies on a PC:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:20:01 PM by Level42 »

Gerry

• View Profile
    • The Thalion Source
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »
Hi Attila,

nice to meet another Atari ST-User  :).

I'd be interested in your rare Atari ST control floppy disk,too.

Creating an image of your Atari ST disk is quite easy. Here's how I would do it:

1. Format two disks on your Atari ST using a format/copy-utility which is able to create a MSDOS-compatible disk (I suggest FCopy 3.0 or FCopy Pro)
2. Insert your newly formated disk in your PC floppy drive
3. Download the Magic Shadow Archiver (MSA) here and extract the zip file to your newly formated disk

4. Insert the disk in your Atari ST and launch the Magic Shadow Archiver (this is a programm which is able to create an image file containing selected (or all) tracks of a disk)
5. Eject the disk and insert the other newly formated disk.
6. Click on the field where the headline reads "Filename, click to change". I always used the program with multiple drives (floppy disk drive / hard disk), but in case you only use one floppy disk drive, I would suggest, according to the Atari ST manual, to enter B: (for a simulated second disk drive) in the file selector. Enter a name for the disk image, you'd like to create (for example DLCONTRL.MSA) and confirm your choice by clicking on the "OK" button in the fileselector.
7. Eject the disk and insert your Atari ST DL control floppy disk.
8. Make sure, drive A is selected
9. Make sure, the left button in the middle row states "DISK->FILE" (not "DISK<-FILE")
10. Click on the "ANALYZE" button and write down the disk geometry, which is now displayed
11. Enter the disk geometry (sides, sectors, tracks) in the appropriate fields and make sure, that the field "TRACKS" begins at track 00 and ends at the last track of your disk (watch the informations about the disk geometry, which you'll get after clicking on "ANALYZE"). Entering wrong values here could result in a partial disk image which wouldn't run.
12. Now click on "Do it!" - the program should now start to read your Atari ST DL control floppy disk track by track. Depending of how much RAM your Atari ST has built-in, you'll be requested for a different number of times to exchange the Atari ST DL control floppy disk for your previously newly formated disk.
13. If everything worked fine, you should now have a disk image of your Atari ST DL control floppy disk on your previously formated disk called DLCONTRL.MSA (or whatever name you've chosen).
14. Insert the disk containing the disk image DLCONTRL.MSA in your PC floppy disk drive and upload it to the forum  :).

I made this step-by-step guide from memory and I hope, I remembered correctly. It reads difficult, but it's quite simple to do. Follow my guide on your on risk. Always leave your Atari ST DL control floppy disk write-protected.

In case you are running into problems, just PM me and I'll try to assist you. I would also offer to do the creation of the disk image for you, if you'd agree to send the Atari ST DL control floppy disk to me (by registered mail).

Your Atari ST DL control floppy disk really is a rarity and is worth to be preserved.

Do you have a control disk for your Software Corner PAL Space Ace laserdisc, too?

snakeimp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
Hello guys,

I've just got back from a refreshing one-week-long trip (to reality : ) ), and am really glad to see the pretty thorough method written here how to dump my Atari ST DL control disk. I'm going to try it. Thank you very much for the help! (If I can't work it out myself, I'll send the disc to Gerry.)

Oh, and I'm sorry but I don't have a control disk for the Software Corner Space Ace LD. : ( I'm also looking for that one desperately. : ) Anyone here maybe has got it, who knows. ; )

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »
Wow excellent walk through. Hah, Fcopy was my favorite tool on the ST ;)

About the original disk, I would actually totally _remove_ the write tab (if any is in fact installed, some factory disks didn't have them). That way you can NEVER accidentally overwrite it....

And remember, if you can see through the hole, it is safe :)

Gerry

• View Profile
    • The Thalion Source
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
Any update on the conversion of the Atari ST DL control disk?

snakeimp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 04:00:41 AM »
Any update on the conversion of the Atari ST DL control disk?

Better than never. ;) I've finally managed to prepare a functioning copy, although it's not in .msa format, I've put it into .st format. I've given it a try running the image under an Atari ST emulator (Hatari), and it works, so the conversion process must have gone fine, I guess.

So here comes attached the Thayer's Quest control floppy disc (for Atari ST). Thanks for your patience, mate. :)