Author Topic: Dragon's Lair in Flash  (Read 29461 times)

DJM

• View Profile
Dragon's Lair in Flash
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:54:58 AM »
Hi there! After one month of (hard) work here is the result: the world first Flash port of Dragon's Lair (with online highscore)! :)

www.dragonslairflash.com

P.S. You need a fast connection as the game needs a few minutes to fully load (so if you don't have *at least* an ADSL better you don't even try to open it... ;) ).

Enjoy,
DJM

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:34:49 PM by DJM »

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon's Lair in Flash
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
Nice, good job!  :)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »
FINALLY!! a quick and easy way to satisfy my need for playing DL instantly!
No gigabytes to download, emulators to configure or fancy cellphone needed here,...yes you can call me lazy!
Thanks for you hard work DJM.
...I still have to train a bit before posting a High Score though  ;)

DJM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »
FINALLY!! a quick and easy way to satisfy my need for playing DL instantly!
No gigabytes to download, emulators to configure or fancy cellphone needed here,...yes you can call me lazy!
Thanks for you hard work DJM.
...I still have to train a bit before posting a High Score though  ;)

Thank you! :) I forgot to say that my port is based on the DLE 2.1 roms so as you can see it's a bit different compared to the original Arcade version (some moves are changed too). Kudos to Dave Hallock for the amazing work with the DLE roms which provides (imho) the best Dragon's Lair gameplay fixing some bugs and many incongruences.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:35:52 PM by DJM »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
Nice one, but how could you start the game? :oops:

DJM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »
Nice one, but how could you start the game? :oops:

Pressing the "SWORD" button! ;) That means CTRL or SPACE, as described in the "How to play" section.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:36:23 PM by DJM »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »
I tried, but didnt work.
I guess I will have to update adobe flash player.

DJM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 11:57:37 AM »
I tried, but didnt work.
I guess I will have to update adobe flash player.

Try to click with the mouse button inside the cabinet screen and then press CTRL or SPACE. Some browsers don't automatically give focus to the flash game so your key presses won't be notified by the game until you give focus to it (that's why most flash games requires you to use the mouse to start the game before using the keys). Hopefully I'll find a workaround for that...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:37:26 PM by DJM »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »
I had trouble too (apart from my normal trouble playing DL). Think you have to click inside the flash box first and then press ctrl or space. (CMD or space on Macs).

So OK......please, anyone, explain me HOW DO I PLAY THIS GAME ??

I walk over that bridge and the bridge breaks. If I move anywhere before the bridge breaks I fall to death. If I do nothing the monster with 10 arms gets me. I push the space button like mad. Sometimes I apparently survive and get into long halls with lots of doors. Then there is a crumbing floor...I have to move right ? Yes...I mean....what I totally miss about this game is what expected of me to do plus no feed-back if I did anything right (except for not seeing a death scene.

By the way...is this official ? Not that I care but they are still earning good money on this game..

DJM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 12:07:39 PM »
By the way...is this official ? Not that I care but they are still earning good money on this game..

Unfortunately it's not official, it's just a hobby project I did in my free time as I love Dragon's Lair since I was a kid. Anyways I think I'm gonna write Digital Leisure soon about this, I don't want to give them any toubles (actually I'm a big fan of Digital Leisure, I bought their games for all the platforms I own, PC, PS3, Wii, DS, iPhone, etc.) and, as you can see, I also put a nice banner on the site to encourage people to buy Digital Leisure products: they truly deserve it! ;) The "Dragon's Lair Flash" site has *NOT* been made to earn money, absolutely. It has been made just to please other Dragon's Lair fans around the world and give them the chance to play the game online wherever they are with just a Browser! ;)

P.S. If Digital Leisure won't be happy with my work I'll have to shut down the site and keep it privately for me. It would be a shame but there's not much I can do about it... they have the rights for the game. But I still hope that we can find a deal about it... Honestly I don't think that an online version can give them any trobules about sales... who loves Dragon's Lair will still buy it, no matter this little web version or not. After all mine is a low quality port and hopefully many people after trying it will choose to buy the *MUCH BETTER* HD version for their favourite platform (i.e. the PS3 version is outstanding and I love "Dragon's Lair Trilogy" for Wii too!). Also, there are many young people out there who never tried Dragon's lair and/or have no idea what it is... this version could help in that sense and Digital Leisure could gain even more customers. Anyways, we'll see... :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:38:59 PM by DJM »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »
No need to defend yourself....but I'm pretty sure you're going to get nice note from their lawyers to remove it, especially when you informed them.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »
Very nice. I really hope Digital Leisure will let it online. You already advertise their website which is the good thing to do.
In addition your version is a low-quality video one. So there should not be any problem IMO, but you really have to inform them about this quickly.
On the next update, please use the real Dragon's Lair cabinet  ;)
Good job ... and welcome to the DLF community  :)

DJM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 12:57:16 PM »
On the next update, please use the real Dragon's Lair cabinet  ;)

You are right but actually that was made on purpose: my first idea was to use the original cabinet model but unfortunately it has the tv screen "too low" (I mean not "vertical") and I can't "deform" the flash video to fit that. Also I wanted the game to be playable right in the browser even without making the screen "bigger" pressing the white button. That's why I had to use a generic cabinet model... ;)

Good job ... and welcome to the DLF community  :)

Thank you! ;)

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »
Before my old Mac died on me i tried to get dragons lair playing on it but with this.... NO EMULATORS!!!!  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dunno what to put here.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »
Is it me , or is it only working on a mac ?

I dont get any image in the screen.. :