Author Topic: :: STARBLADE : Operation Blue Planet *prototype* ::  (Read 70895 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
:: STARBLADE : Operation Blue Planet *prototype* ::
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »

In the previous version of my website, I had a dedicated page to Starblade (still available but ugly  :oops: right here) were I mentioned Star Blade: Operation Blue Planet prototype game. I didn't rebuilt that page when I moved the website into this last DLF/ALS revision in 2007  :oops: ...and there's no more STARBLADE : Operation Blue Planet mention here?! Let's fix that  ;). In short  :arrow:

A NEW STARBLADE GAME TO COME ?

AM Show 2001: Star Blade: Operation Blue Planet

Namco unveils an impressive new 3D polygonal shooter with an unorthadox cabinet.

TOKYO - Perhaps one of the surprises during the 39th Amusement Machine Show today was the demonstration of Star Blade: Operation Blue Planet. Namco released a 3D shooting game named Star Blade for the arcades back in 1991, and it was later ported onto the 3DO and PlayStation. The sequel couldn't have returned at a better time, as the current technology available for graphics and sound have allowed the developers to bring the experience closer to reality. The game is contained in an arcade machine in the shape of a spherical pod. At the rear of the machine is a slot where the seat slides in and out of the pod. The interior contains the control panel and a half-sphere monitor, complete with a 5.1 channel Dolby Digital audio system. Since the monitor wraps around, players will see the game as if they are looking through a fish-eye lens.

Namco provided further information during a conversation with GameSpot. "Though both machine and game were displayed at the show for demonstration purposes, we will make announcements regarding the release of the game in the future," the company representative said. "The machine will not be limited to this game, but can even be used possibly in a driving game."

The Star Blade: operation blue planet demo was certainly one of the most popular games at the show, and there was a 70-minute wait to play the game.
The game uses Namco System 246 hardware. That game is only a prototype and it's still not released yet ( shame on Namco ! )

At the time I published on youtube a video footage of that game during the AM Show 2001. Until today, it was the only video footage available...but not anymore :Namco has created a UGSF website dedicated to Namco’s space games, and they just released from their archive the complete (and only) level available from the game :-* :arrow:

More pictures of the cockpit that should be used for that game  :o  :arrow:

Flyer :

As you can see, the game was not completed by Namco .. what a shame because it looks 'almost' finished!
Maybe the creation of the UGSF site and the release of new information indicates that Namco is working on something new about the Starblade franchise or other of their 'shooters' game?
Let's dream about a release of that 'Blue Planet' on modern consoles  ::) :P

Link : UGSF homepage (Japanese)

2-mad

• View Profile
Re: :: STARBLADE : Operation Blue Planet *prototype* ::
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:28 PM »
I've seen many videos about that game !
And on every video it's working !
I hoped that this one will come up, but it won't !
I'm so sad about !
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:43:14 AM by 2-mad »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
I've seen many videos about that game !

Can you point them please?  I'm curious to see them all too...  ::)

2-mad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
...deleted...

Found nothing ...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:04:46 PM by 2-mad »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »
One is here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leT3saYfZr4&feature=player_embedded

Watch in fullscreen and turn up the volume .

That's the video I'm talking about in the new   ::) ;D

Anyway! Chance that game hits the arcade are almost null  :-\ But let's hope a console release at least!  :P

Vnera

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »
The cockpits used for these 'mech battle' games in Japan are very similar to the ORBS one.  :arrow:

[click on picture for the video]

I've never heard about such cockpits in Europe? I'm curious to try that... it looks so immersive!

Tom#2-JP

• View Profile
    • Tom#2-JP@Twitter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
The cockpits used for these 'mech battle' games in Japan are very similar to the ORBS one.  :arrow:

I've never heard about such cockpits in Europe? I'm curious to try that... it looks so immersive!

This cockpit is "P.O.D.(panoramic optical display)".
P.O.D. is made based on the ORBS.

>I've never heard about such cockpits in Europe?
In overseas, we can see them at six places.
4 in Hong Kong, 2 in Taiwan.
twitter http://twitter.com/#!/tomsan223 (always using Japanese language)

Toykyle

• We saved GT-6. Now it's time to save GH-16 & GH-28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »
the sequel to starblade. The graphics looked beautiful and the sounds were awesome. I believe the main anthologist in the arcade could be that red ship and that enemy flagship commander from the previous game could have been resurrected or it could be a different one. Too bad it was canceled because it didn't make It past field testing. Actually idk if namco is going to revive the project from cancellation.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:10:47 PM by Toykyle »

Toykyle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 04:20:52 AM »
Sorry for bumping this but... http://d.hatena.ne.jp/szk-trance/20130506
This picture was taken back in 2013. Apparently, besides the Galaxian3 Arcade Theater, there seems to have been a spotting of Starblade Operation Blue Planet Arcade Machine :shock: (there's only a picture of the outside though)

Not sure if it's the prototype though...

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Wow, this picture is very interesting!  :o
This is not the ORBS prototype who has been initially showed to demonstrate the StarBlade Operation Blue Planet 'game in progress' during the arcade shows!
No, this is the actual pod used for playing Gundam  :arrow:

In fact, I would say the original/prototype ORBS became this Gundam pod!

Now the question is : does the owner of this pod has simply customized it 'a la StarBlade Operation Blue Planet', but there is no Starblade game inside...or he can play StarBlade Operation Blue Planet inside of it, meaning the code of the game (prototype) is somehow available!?
Or finally this version of the pod has been also used at a later stage by Namco to demonstrate the game? So THAT one would be also a 'prototype'?
Very interesting!

Toykyle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 03:45:28 AM »
Yea. I don't recall seeing this one though. http://blog.goo.ne.jp/funnyplace/e/65b9b38d2bb8cc83bff3e13ed42e95e0

Seems as if somebody did a fan port of Starblade to the X68000 (Just like the officially ported Galaga 88). There was a video in 2009, but someone who uploaded it was terminated.

Also http://vatpatimon.sakura.ne.jp/2008/04/28
This picture seems odd. Yet to put a starblade logo on top of the Idol Master arcade seems to be quite deceiving. (btw, the place where the galaxian theater is at is apparently the same place where the galaxian3 360 laserdisc video file was or still is)

and then there's the Geosword figure on the right of this scan:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:56:51 AM by Toykyle »

Tom#2-JP

• View Profile
    • Tom#2-JP@Twitter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
Please forgive me that you described in Japanese because there is no time to be translated into English.
英語に翻訳する時間の余裕が無いため日本語で記載することをお許し下さい。

新年あけましておめでとうございます。
本年もよろしくお願い致します。

まず、スターブレード オペレーションブループラネット(以下OBPと略)というゲームは、ORBS筐体のデモ用に作られたものです。
ファンからは続編の製作を望まれていますが、現時点では難しいとしか言えません。
したがって、UGSF ARCHIVE #001にあるものが現時点での全てとなります。

またORBS筐体はデモ用の試作機であったため、ORBSプロジェクトが凍結されたあとに廃棄され現在この世には存在しません。
しかしながらこの技術は戦場の絆の専用筐体(以下PODと略)へ転用され今に至ります。
参考までに…最近まで戦場の絆専用だったこの筐体もMachstormで利用されるようになりました。

>This picture was taken back in 2013. Apparently, besides the Galaxian3 Arcade Theater, there seems to have been a spotting of Starblade Operation Blue Planet Arcade Machine shock (there's only a picture of the outside though)

OBPを擬似的にPOD筐体で再現したものです。
筐体の中ではUGSF ARCHIVE #001が流れています。
ムービーの垂れ流しなので操作はできません。

>This picture seems odd. Yet to put a starblade logo on top of the Idol Master arcade seems to be quite deceiving.

倉庫("The Musium")引っ越しの際に行われたジョークの一つです。
スターブレード筐体を搬送するために解体した際に分離した看板がちょうどアイドルマスター筐体にあったため、このようなことになりました。
したがって、この筐体の電源を立ち上げるとアイドルマスターが立ち上がります。
(いやそれにしてもアイマス筐体なんて日本ローカルのシロモノよく知ってますね…)

それでは。

twitter http://twitter.com/#!/tomsan223 (always using Japanese language)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »
Hey, great to see you back, Tom#2-JP, whatever in english or japanese.  :)

So if I understand correctly, this picture was just a joke that was made during the 'game room' move? Simply putting a StarBlade logo on the top of that idol master game!  :)  :arrow:

This picture continues to intrigues me!  :arrow:

So I understand they (Namco) used the projection system developed for the ORBS pod into modern pods, the ones that run 'Gundam' or lately Mach Storm for example... OK, but why and who re-installed the StarBlade blue planet into a modern pod?
Yes, we don't see the game running on that picture, but why to 're-skin' a pod if it's not for playing it? Does the prototype game is available somewhere? Or this is a pod located/from Namco?

Segasurvivor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »
I Love Starblade, like the look of the sequel that never was...

I had a chance to get one but the original cab is just too big for the space I have!