Author Topic: Ms.Pac gets a facelift and more...FINISHED !!!!!!  (Read 71931 times)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: Ms.Pac gets a facelift and more...
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »
Thats.... A lot of games.... Imo only pac man games should be in a pac cab, I have Mark Spaeths six-pac in mine, it plays Pac Man, Pac Man Fast, Ms Pac Man, Ms Pac Man Fast, Pac Man Plus and last but not least, can you guess it, Pac Man Plus Fast.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2014, 11:40:01 PM »
I hate any fast Pacs. Main reason is Eyes, brilliant game.

And Pengo is cool too.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
Can't believe it, I actually did some arcade stuff since Eurocade/RGE !

Replacing the edge connector....very necessary on any (Ms.)Pac....

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
....and before it gets lost again....lets' install the kit. Easy peasy.....

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »
is that a burn mark at the edge connector ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:59 PM »
Nah....,thats a trick of the light.....I fixed the edge connector with the thinnest layer of solder I could and it reflects differently. The strange thing is that I couldn't  pull off the edge "pins" anymore ! remember they were fold over at one point in time ? can't do that anymore .....weird ! So I figured the thinnest line of solder would do.

The new edge connector should do the rest...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
Works great !!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »
Yes! You found back the multipac!
Hope you'll like it  ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
nice !

i was thinking it was burned up like the pole positions many time do..

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »
:)

Mmmmm, I set it up to "set up" all the games by setting all dip switches off and 6 to on but I broke off the configuration last night because it was bed time and now DIP 6 doesn't seem to have any effect anymore (doesn't go into the settings screen). I know I should be able to get there with the service switch but the coin door is not ready yet....

Geez I had to push on that new edge connector SO hard.....I really liked that....means _firm_ contact :) The hum I had before is GONE ! :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »
Guys, if you ever have a Pac or Ms.Pac wit following symptoms:
- hum (50hz.)
- black diagonal stripes over screen
- PCB acting garbled (well mine with the 96in1 kit did)

Then.....check the 7V fuses, both of them !!!

I had this and I thought it was a ground problem but it was simply one fuse gone bad. You don't think of a fuse because the game seems to be "working" mostly....

The reason for this is that the PCB still gets some voltage, but in fact only "half" of what it normally gets.

Replaced fuse and was back 100%.
Configured the 96in1 game settings but for some games I still have to figure out Free Play.
Board and kit work great.

Final steps: restore and re-install coin door, re-install monitor (it's not perfectly straight), hook up ground strips and replace the power switch.....must finish before end of year ! :

GoRetro74

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
Fascinating work Level42! The cabin turned out really nice. It was very interesting following your work on this project.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
Thans GoRetro......in these days of über-rare Nintendo machines, huge Japanese machines and container loads full of games a Ms.Pac seems to have become a rather "boring" machine....,

It's weird, because when I started out in this hobby, a Ms.Pac was extremely rare in Europe (AFAIK they were never officially imported here) and I never dreamed I would own one...

Of course it took me insanely long to restore it but that's how it is for me.....doing other electronics repairs on arcade hardware, co-organizing Eurocade/RGE, my other hobby and of course Real Life make me probably one of the slowest restorers here.

But I love the result. I played Ms.Pac SO much back in the 80s...and It still love the game. Been playing it quite a bit yesterday and it is simply awesome. I love the intermissions, especially the music....the set-up of the speaker gives it such a great bass-sound.

I adjusted the mounting of the CRT in the frame yesterday so that the picture is now perfectly straight. During the process, I had removed the tinted plexi and when I looked at the picture it was SO fantastically bright.....I was thinking....why would I actually re-install it ? The thing is, I have installed one of the NIB WG monitors that we got from Ireland and this had a dark tinted tube. The reason why there is a dark tinted plexi over the screen from the factory is to "hide" the fact that there is a CRT there....but in a dark gameroom like mine you will never see that anyway combined with the dark CRT. Also the colors are much richer without the plexi.

That plexi also makes that you turn up the brightness on the monitor (too) high. The result is pretty clear, look at how burnt my original CRT was, and most Ms.Pacs suffer from it.

So I decided to leave it off. Of course I'll keep it around but I will run the cab without it for sure.

I also played Eyes, what a great and challenging game. Pengo is cool too but DAMN what a hard game it is !!! I guess I'll be setting that up on the easiest setting to make it a bit more fun to play. It's pretty amazing how the sound hardware of the Pac board handles the Pengo music and sound by the way. There are differences for sure but they are not annoying and the music actually sounds correct.

I really like the high score saving of the kit....this always makes for a nice challenge and is sorely missing on the original hardware. It's often seen as a "small" feature but it is probably one of the most useful ones of a kit like this.

The one thing that still puzzles me is where those yellow ground straps all go to. The one for the coin-door is obvoius enough, but the longest one, where does it go ? I don't see any use for it to go to the PCB, there are not metal parts that need to be connected there.....and IIRC from that largest strap there is another one running towards the top of the cab, probably to the marquee but where to hook it up ?

If anyone has a Ms.Pac with these straps correctly connected still please let me know :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
Maybe on the ballast or the marquee retainers ?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Maybe it was used to ground the filter board?