Author Topic: Q*bert. A man and his grail... FINISHED !!!  (Read 271806 times)

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
Re: Q*bert. A man and his grail...
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2015, 08:07:03 AM »
By the way do you know Peter Koch aka Inkochnito? He is a Dutch guy who does a lot of pinball scorecards, labels (like thousands I think 😃😃 ) ect. You two should share ideas. He has a lot of Gottlieb knowledge and know a lot about the fonts. Look him up if you like!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
Just to be Anal, i have gained alot of experience with reproducing decals, and the correction to apply here and there, but this is photographed under a pretty nice angle.

Could you measure the distance between the left of the decal and the start of the letters ?

I assime its centered, but as you can see, when i copy the arrowed line to the other side it looks that the distance on that side is shorter.

anyway, based on the start of the decal i can figure it out, but if you can, provide me the distance please  ;)

Will do...the picture is taken with a slight angle pointing to the right.

I'll measure it and report back.

Note that there is a comma behind LED, not a dot :D

The material is carboard and the surface a bit shiny.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »
For the first i need measurements, and the second i want to verify a printed example  ;)

Can you print this and check it please ?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:17:24 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »
I want to take you back to page 6 of this thread, i looked in my shed today..  ;D

Been doing a bit of research....i didnt know how the monitor was mounted in a Q*bert and it turns out they used a vertical framed monitor. (I opened a WTB about it here https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=6067.0 )

I actually don't even recall seeing a vertical framed monitor ever so they are pretty rare.....and I have little hope to find one.

SO......plan B is needed. plan B is to get a piece of multiplex, cut in a hole for the front it the tube and hang it in there and then install that multiplex board using some supports like these:

Maybe I could even hang the monitor directly on these supports somehow.....anyone ever tried this ?

I have 3 variants here;
25 Cm, no diagonal stud (2 available)
40 Cm, diagonal stud present (i only have one of these)
50 Cm (2 available but only one diagonal stud present)

I also have some aluminium strips to make some studs if nessecary

Let me know what you need/want  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2015, 11:24:28 PM »
For the first i need measurements, and the second i want to verify a printed example  ;)

Just printed it and compared. First thing I noticed: the "WARNING" text is exactly right.
However the first three lines of text under that are "spaced out" across the line, so they line up at the right side too.

However, the 4th line does not  (the . is under the O of the word POWER in the 3rd line.

Also: the font on the main text is too wide.

The corner markings are an exact match so you are right about the size of the card.

Something I didn't say before.....and here comes the fun, I think the entire text is slightly tilted, lower at the right side on the original.

Another thing you asked: The top left D, the very left top of that letter is 12,5 mm from the left side of the card.
The right side of the H on the right is 13,5 mm from the right card edge, indeed not exactly centered.

Also......but please don ask me to measure this and........I wouldn't "include" this, but when I look at the card the entire text seems to be just a tiny bit slanted down to the right (left higher, right lower).

I can barely measure it though and this might just be a tolerance thing on the printing process then....but it might be fun to include it as it gives "just" that extra non-perfect-originality ;)

Included find a scan I just made of the original and your print-out.

Sorry, everything looks slanted now ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2015, 11:29:56 PM »
Thanks for looking for the supports !!!

I do think I'm going to need two with studs because of the weight of the monitor....

If someone could provide me with the dimensions of a vertical monitor frame that would be awesome....even if only where the mounting holes are etc.

The thing is....I really want the CRT to be in the original position regarding to the bezel (distance below it too)....

My friend who welded threaded studs on the Puckman CP could probably replicate those things or maybe make something compatible.

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »
plan B is to get a piece of multiplex, cut in a hole for the front it the tube and hang it in there

That will work great. I did it like that with my Donkey Kong scratch-build.

Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »
1. Just printed it and compared. First thing I noticed: the "WARNING" text is exactly right.
2. The corner markings are an exact match so you are right about the size of the card.
3. Something I didn't say before.....and here comes the fun, I think the entire text is slightly tilted, lower at the right side on the original.
4. Another thing you asked: The top left D, the very left top of that letter is 12,5 mm from the left side of the card.
The right side of the H on the right is 13,5 mm from the right card edge, indeed not exactly centered.
5. Included find a scan I just made of the original and your print-out.

1. Almost, i see a detail that i need to fix
2. that would be correct because you gave me these measurements  8)
3. i dont think its tilted, i think these where printed with many on a sheet and cut afterwards, so they punched it out slanted probably (i can tilt it if you want)
4. Good to know, based on the angle pic that i had, i assumed it was centered, so the repro is centered. will adjust that also.
5. this is the best part, now i have a straight source to work with !

I'll update when i can.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
Hah, no rush....there's plenty of work to do left on this baby but thanks for all your help on this, it's awesome my friend !!!

Joeks: Yeah, problem with that set-up is that I'd need to install side-supports to the sides and I'd prefer not to have to do that.

BUT......I could used supports like Etienne posted to mount a piece of multiplex in which I'd do the same set-up as you.....if there is enough room for it...Maybe I only need some small strips of multiplex on the sides as to "bridge" the sides of the frame to those supports.....I'm sure I can figure something out.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
After rotating the picture straight (well at least the best i could), cropping and placing some guidelines, you are right.

The text is rotated clockwise a bit, or the cutout was rotated a bit anti-clockwise depending on how you look at it  :D

This is a much better source than a pic, so i can redo it and now correctly.

Do you want the rotation in there, or do you want a nice straightened (fixed) version ?

i would say (because of the minimum difference) to make it perfectely straight, but thats just me..
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:01:14 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »
Well maybe you'll have to reproduce more for others so whatever you think is best :)

:spaceace:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
LOL, I never knew that Q*bert could stick his tongue through his nose....have to try this when I'm alone  ;D

Lots of love fot the old woody!!  :spaceace:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
Have re-done the repro, used a better fitting font for the "Warning", and followed your measurements in combination with the scan.

Can you verify this PDF ?

This is the "corrected"  non tilted version  8)

Thanks !

ps. i still need measurements for this :

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:09:37 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2015, 07:05:24 PM »
LOL, I never knew that Q*bert could stick his tongue through his nose....have to try this when I'm alone  ;D
Well I guess it's sort of his mouth too....cause else he doesn't have one right :) .......then again he doesn't have any arms either but one can live with that.....

Yes loads of love.....pretty obsessed with it really.... :) love the cab, the game, the character, everything ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »
It was very nice weather today so perfect to do some serious sanding !