Author Topic: Superully's Eurocade (EuroWHAT?) Adventure  (Read 12933 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Superully's Eurocade (EuroWHAT?) Adventure
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
disclaimer: the following events have been slighty altered / edited for entertainment purposes ...

man, i just got back from something which i need to share with you guys: an event called eurocade (who comes up with a name like that btw?). whatever ... i had heard about this from my brother's best friend's grandgrandpa and since one of my hobbies is visiting weird events i thought, "why not?". well, this meant driving almost 600 kilometers into enemy territory (that is: the netherlands), but i didn't care, at least i had booked myself a nice hotel :arrow:

i checked in before going to the event's location in order to have a quick refuge in case this thing would turn out too nerdy!

upon entering the room, i was greeted with a personal welcome message on the flat screen - not bad at all!

a room ...

... with a view!

and the minibar ain't that bad either 8)

time to head over to the location in a city called Ridderkerk - doesn't look very promising and safe, there are bullet holes in the city sign. man, what have i gotten myself into? ???

the building where the event was supposed to take place. noone in sight and with those drawn curtains this place almost looks like a ... ;)

i entered the building and was quickly thrown back into the 80s: a lot of wooden boxes with colors tv inside making even more noise. and guess what: there were a lot of old guys who even played that crap! here's one dude who obviously doesn't have a driver's license in real life, why the hell would anyone play a game where you have to control a car if you can have the real deal?

i watched another dude sit down in some kind of cockpit (if you can call it like that) which was obviously not made for people of his size. "hey man, you're not thirteen anymore!!!"

for others, the chairs were not big enough

and then there was this other dude why played some kind of beer game because he thought it would earn himself a free drink. c'mon man, why don't you simply order one?

he even tought the immaculate children how to win an ice cold beer

the same dude then moved over to an extremely bulky game based on some "famous" 70s movies (star something) and while playing made some really silly faces

the funny thing is, when i checked back hours later, that dude was still playing - get a life, man!

but this event was not "men only", there were some women there as well and they seemed to be drawn to a certain game (with an unpronouncable name) like moths to the light :arrow:

and then something strange happened: yet another dude (let's call him the boss because i had been told by a "secret source" that he had reached a very high level, 42 or something, on a particular game) gathered his disciples around him and started giving a pathetic talk about "how happy he is" and "why the netherlands are never going to win the soccer world championships" (well, at least he got something right!)

in his hands he was holding a replica of one of those giant wooden boxes - asking his disciples to throw in money. what is that? a cult following?

after everyone had made their donation, they were allowed to grab one tiny portion of the cheap food provided. i wonder what the boss and his companions are going to do with the rest of the money. perhaps recrute more disciples? note that even the dude with the "funny" t-shirt was allowed to leave his game to eat. obviously they don't treat their followers badly ...

much later, the attending persons left everything behind, gathered in the assembly hall to have one (or more) final good night drinks

it was time for me to go now before i unintentionally signed a declaration of membership, so i headed back to my hotel ...

... to breathe in the fabulous design and setting there!

after some weird neightmares about me being a part of that community i helped myself at the unbelievable breakfast buffet and drove home! looking back, eurocade wasn't as bad as i had expected it to be and who knows, i might consider going there again next year. perhaps i'm even going to buy one of those wooden boxes in the future as well ... but only one! ;D

thx guys - eurocade rocked!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:54:58 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
Re: Superully's Eurocade (EuroWHAT?) Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Very cool photos! Great report ... well done, Ully.

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »
Nice report Ully, as always... :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

i´m sad that I was not there...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:11:20 PM »
Thanks for the story Ully, i just finished everything for today, had dinner, and starting to read all the unread messages

i will upload mine later, i am beat at this moment, you will read it in my report  ;)

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
 :D

Great report, and very accurate, now if only football equalled Galaxian .... :think:
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
HAHAHA!!!

Hey Ully I think you found the perfect location for Eurocade 2012:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
This is indeed an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G photo....looks like the cargo bay of a spaceship  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
This is indeed an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G photo....looks like the cargo bay of a spaceship  ;D

not only that, it also felt like being on a space ship. when i got "home" from the event, noone else was around, so i took off my shoes and walked around barefoot. it was an amazing feeling with all that silence around me and the changing color scheme - absolutely amazing!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

2-mad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
sounds like a medication overdose ...
Maybe you need to talk to your doc ?? :lol:

sebastianguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:09:55 AM »
realli gr8 photos

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »

Went through this very funny story again and noticed this pic.

I drive along the Hotel at least once a week or so and noticed that there has been VERY little progress on the restoration of the former farm....

There is a story behind this. Van der Valk bought the ground in 1995 to build the Hotel. (notice it was only finished in 2009, it probably took lots of years to get all permits done !)

However, on the grounds was this old farm (from 1830) which had an official status of being an "historic building" so Van der Valk was NOT allowed to tear it down.
You can imagine what happened in the years between 1995 and 2009....the place got demolished and there was at least one fire... Because it had a thatched roof (which needs to be maintained) the roof had collapsed over all the years and the fire and it ended as noting but a ruin...

However, the town council was firm and demanded from Van der Valk to rebuild the place.

As Ully's picture shows they were busy with it in sept. 2011. Recently passed it again and I remembered that picture and I thought that they had made little progress, everything looks the same still !!

This news article: http://www.deweekkrant.nl/pages.php?page=1341768
says that Van der Valk had to promise the building would be restored by june 2012. They are making some apartments in it.....I guess you can rent those later just like a Hotel room....

Anyway....I don't know.....I have a feeling that this is the same contractor that Bruno hired to do his V3 roof ;););)

I'll make a pic or two next time I am there because you guys all like ruins and old demolished stuff (even though it's half-restored now).

And no.....I don't think there were any cabs in there before...... ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:08:42 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »
Some pics I found on the net, various years:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »

AHhhhh, and this is it......an urban exploration of the farm "West-einde" (West-end....how wonderful):

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=373412

See...no cabs :P

Great pics thought !

This one

somehow reminds me of this: