Author Topic: Barcade Jersey City report  (Read 11040 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Barcade Jersey City report
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:44:07 AM »
Big open "bar" with a hard floor with "cantina" like tables in the center. Games along the edges. Bar on the right. Beers $5 and up, all US beers so....not a decent Belgian or German or Dutch beer in sight !!!!.....anyway, this kind of set-up would never work in Holland or most parts of Europe I guess.....too cold, no atmosphere...
O well...I get lucky and there's a free credit on Ms.Pac ! It took me half a millisecond to realize it's a speed-up hack $^%@^%*(@#&# B!!!  :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
That's also why I easily break the day record, but I forgot the score...
- SW cockpit: HUGE burn mark in the center, makes playing harder. Discoloring on the right. Focus poor. Still set the 3rd place so normally that should stick for a while :P :P
- Q*bert !!! Poor Q*bert !! I wanted to take it with me to rescue it !!!. Played fine, but again bad discoloration on the lower right side. How the hell do you know what color it has to be turned to, if they are not correct, esp. on the higher levels !!!
ALso the bottom of the machine shows all the spilled drinks...Signs say no drinks near the machines, but you know people...
Biggest disappointment: No knocker :(
- DK: Geez....2 guys were playing it a couple of times and they didn't even manage to get up the first level !!!
They always make the same mistake....TOO SLOW.... if you're not a champ, then get up the levels ASAP...
Showed them how it was done, but still didn't get further then something like 78000 or something. Normally I should get around 100000, wasn't in shape I guess....still awed them :D
-some machines didn't respond to a coin like Joust (sad !!!) and Spyhunter (even sadder, never played that on real hardware !).

I do have to say that most of the controls were in good working order...very important. Only Frogger had some problem going down (important)...

Noticed that there are a lot of female players there (good !) but I was like their dad I guess (bad !)....

Anyway, I had good fun despite of all the remarks above. If you're in NYC go there for a couple of hours. Go at daytime...
However, don't expect games to be in collectors state. It's really like an old arcade I guess :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:47:17 AM by Level42 »

mchay

• View Profile
Re: Barcade Jersey City report
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »
Is it just me, or is this report in need of some pictures?  ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
Well at least you was able to play some classics andre !   ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
Is it just me, or is this report in need of some pictures?  ;)

Bit hard, no laptop with me. Did take some quick videoshots though.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »
O, and  I think Bruno put up some pics of it here somewhere but I can't find the thread...

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »
O, and  I think Bruno put up some pics of it here somewhere but I can't find the thread...

here:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1217.0

:-* :-*
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »
Pity that the games were not in great shape, but you did get some time to practice for the real deal, didn't you? And then we expect a lot of pics, so don't give us an excuse like "Bruno already made tons of pics in that place".

We want fresh pictures.  ;D

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »
Pity that the games were not in great shape, but you did get some time to practice for the real deal, didn't you? And then we expect a lot of pics, so don't give us an excuse like "Bruno already made tons of pics in that place".

We want fresh pictures.  ;D

Hehe, as some of you know i have just been in the big apple, and last time i was there, we did´nt had the time to visit Barcade.... but this time....  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
So, i´m a little ahead of André, as i visited it on Friday the 24th of June...

I have to give André right about the place, they could have done it so much nicer if they wanted to... - and the no drinks near the arcades........ pretty tough when theres a shelf between all of them for placing the drinks while you play.....
I´m sorry i didn't have the time to meet up in NY, but ill see you in September!
ok, enough talk, time for pics...

388 Union Avenue:

Inside.... (doh  ;))

A Tapper and a Timber.....!!!! (even my girlfriend thought the tapper was fun!  :o)

;D

When i was there, there was not an SW, and the Tempest was not working  :'( :'(
(and sorry for the crappy photos.... iPhone suck when taking pictures inside)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »
I think you were in the Brooklyn Barcade Muerto. I was in the Jersey City one. That one has the SW cockpit....

Sorry guys no pics, nothing, until I return. I'm back in "hickory county" right now where they think a telephone pole with some copper wires to transmit morse signals is the hottest thing in town..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Ah, sorry about the confusing, maby a thread split is in order?? Bruno..  ::)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »

I think you were in the Brooklyn Barcade Muerto. I was in the Jersey City one. That one has the SW cockpit....
Sorry guys no pics, nothing, until I return. I'm back in "hickory county" right now where they think a telephone pole with some copper wires to transmit morse signals is the hottest thing in town..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was in Barcade, Brooklyn. I didn't know there was an other 'Barcade' somewhere else?

Anyway, an other good reason for you to publish pictures from that 'unknown location'  ;)

Nice pictures Muerto... the games weren't exactly the same when we were there 1 year and half ago.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 11:47:35 PM »
As mentioned, I didn't take pics but did some video shots.

Here ya go:

http://youtu.be/zultewP-qDk

Be sure to switch to 1020p HD, looks awesome ! :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:51:55 PM by Level42 »

ElPancho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
"what's this" priceless.
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Pac Man
Black Knight pinball
On the way: Daytona USA

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »

Here ya go:

Nice video, and ... in 1080 it's even better in full screen  :-*

Out of topic : how to avoid 'the raster' when filming arcade monitors? I've the same problem with my Sony camera. Does it is a matter of 50/60hz? I mean our European camera are not configured in 'native' for that? How does it work? Can it be solved?

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »

Here ya go:

!!!!! - What was wrong with Golden Axe??????????
that cab was quickly passed! and that is a quite fun game!!