Author Topic: arcade lifestyle in the philippines  (Read 8410 times)

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
arcade lifestyle in the philippines
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
Better late than never, here's a little report of my philippines travel. on the arcade side.

Philippines is rather unknown here,i got to know that country because i had the chance to get married to a filipina. And as her family is living there, our vacation is always the same destination (can be worst :D).
This vacation was special , because my wife didn't see her family for 4 years and we gonna introduce our 1 year old son to his grand'ma & grand pa (lola & lolo in their dialect).

So in may, we took the royal dutch airline company to fly there. and believe it or not it was one of the cheapest and one of the best flight we ever took (way better than airfrance and lufthansa imho).

After an exhausting 15 hrs trip, we arrived to my wife's parents's house. Nicely located. Here's the street view:

our ride, a mitsubichi lancer 1979. If the people would not have the 'road rage' (one taxi driver, overtook on the sidewalk O_o), i'd have enjoyed driving it

so we headed to a local mall , my wife wanted a hair cut and manicure... but to my suprise, i could kill the time, not with one arcade... but with 2 on the same floor !
'take your time honey'  :pac: :pac: the arcades were full with kids rides , games ,... fun for the family :) here the arcade are dedicated toward family, no smoking, flashy colors and lots of redeem cabs
and the best... the token is worth 0.08€ ;) (1 token per game)

the versus fight corner

poor customisation skills... Ully i gave them your phone number ;)

arcade game for kids

Noooooo, they started to be invaded by coins pushers ... i hate those cabs

i spent lots of time on this Street fighter 4 cab, i could show my skills to the local champions :D:D this didn't prevent me to get my butt kicked several times.

once you go out of the arcade, here's the view

The state of the cabs was really great for a "province" arcade and the ambiance was nice. the european fun fair owner, should take some lesson

if USA is the "maximized me" country, philippines is the "minimized me" one....

hopefully they didn't minimzed the burgers  :pac: :pac:

So after one week there, we went to the beach.

a 'farniente' week :)

in the morning, the low tide left a weird sand drawing

Once that week was over, we headed to Manila. Manila is really crowded and noisy. And full of contrasts
You have "states of the art" air conditionned malls , located just besides  slumbs area... You got shiny hotels, with people sleeping in the streets

The current filipino hero is Manny pacquiao http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Pacquiao , he's a boxing champion. You can see his face on almost every manila building.
and his part time job is ... congress man ... (hope his brain doesn't got hitted and damaged too much if he need to vote important laws,... sorry, i hate boxing :D). That guy is so popular that i'll not be surprised if he become president. what's the point with arcade you'll tell ? well , his nick name is
pacman and his website title pacland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Pacquiao

So back to HUUUGE mall with theirs arcade, that's why i'm in the philippines ;D off course , no classic games, they look like japanese game center

tekken, the locals favourite

Konami Dance Maniax, pretty unknown Benami game, but really fun (my wife wants it for the gameroom)

Terminator is the guard of the service room

And our son tried his first driving cab, look how he's concentrated

Time to eat now !! but seriously, who gonna have dinner in a so poorly named restaurant..

Finaly whe prefered this one  :pac: :pac:

This ended our vacation, bye bye philippines , see you in 3 to 4 years (the time to save again :D)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:23:29 PM by kroustibat »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: arcade lifestyle in the philippines
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing dude !

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
Nice report, thanks for the cool pictures! :spaceace:
I like the flashy colors of the first arcade, it really looks like a fun place to hang around.
I had found a picture of that boxing guy "Pac-Man" a while ago when searching for arcade pictures in Google image.
Didn't know he was such a hero  ;)
... that KKK restaurant picture made me laugh, what where they thinking when they named it?  ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »
thanks, the arcades remind me a lot about Japan, kinda the same selection of games but just older versions. 

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »
even if the cabs are a bit older, they're really clean and well maintained, and the credit price is cheap (0.08€ per token) even for more recent games like SF4..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:01:32 PM by kroustibat »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »
thx for sharring your trip with us - nice pictures. the one with the burger / fries made me really hungry! 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
Thanks for ride  :)

What? You don't like coins pusher? It's so funny...and even if you loose all the time at the end, impossible to stop playing it! It's the only game I see my wife playing in the arcade  :P
KKK? Dawn it... how they can take a such name for a restaurant  ???
Did you bring some HungryPac chocolate with you? Collector with a such logo/name  ;D Did you check if they got the Namco license to do this  ::) ;D

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
What? You don't like coins pusher? It's so funny...and even if you loose all the time at the end, impossible to stop playing it! It's the only game I see my wife playing in the arcade  :P

it's one of my wife favourite aswell :) i don't like it coz those cabs took the place of video arcade games. Last year in my village's summer fair, we got an 'arcade' with one outrun 2 cab. This year , no video games anymore, just coin pushers ..

Did you bring some HungryPac chocolate with you? Collector with a such logo/name  ;D Did you check if they got the Namco license to do this  ::) ;D

We ate them already :) it's not licensed products, no mention of namco bandai. and the sale lady didn't appreciate to see my digital cam, so i didn't insist ^^