Author Topic: Monitor Question  (Read 27393 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor Question
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
Small update:
I used this great stuff on Cab.no.2 Phoenix's tube twice and after some nice fireworks in the neck, the screen became much better:

I also investigated that screen shaking, replaced the chassis and the psu from a similar working Zaccaria cab, but nothing changed. ???
Hmmm, what else can it be?
My old friend's first thought was also psu and he was not too far, because it was caused buy this good old fan

I disconnected it and there is no shaking anymore. ;D
The vertical strips are still there for about 2 minutes after switching on, so I will surely have to replace some caps.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
cool, you're getting better by the minute, bela. obviously it's worthwhile having a guy around who knows his business and who can teach you stuff!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
obviously it's worthwhile having a guy around who knows his business and who can teach you stuff!
That's right, I should be a collector with about 20 non-working cabs without my old friend. ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
My old friend's first thought was also psu and he was not too far, because it was caused buy this good old fan

I disconnected it and there is no shaking anymore. ;D

Thanks for that tip, i am going to try that too in my CK, it has shaky picture too (well more whobbeling) but it looks like the rythm of the 50 hz AC from the 220v of the fan, so i guess i have the same problem.

its worth a try, and it defenetly makes the cab more quiet  ;)
that fan is noisy as hell  :twisted:

that sucker looks like they took it straight out of a refrigerator  ;D

but do place another fan over that big heatsink, the 7805 is cooking that without the fan.. (and maybe a smallone on the other two heatsinks)
(it was disconnected in the cab from the raiders of the lost zacc pickup, and it was extremely hot....

and you know what extremely hot means..  NOT good !  8)

Or replace it with a switcher...
nah, better not, we like original old hardware here  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:46:27 PM by Etienne »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »
Thanks for your advises Etienne, I will try to clean and repair that original fan first, I hope it will solve the problem. ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »
mostlikely will cleaning not solve that issue since i think its interference from the 220volt line..

you can however try to "move" the cable to another location to see if it makes difference..

i remember the cab from gyruss (donkey kong)  gave strange image, and that turned out to be the stepdownconverter that was "too close to the cab" / "in the wrong area", which caused interference on the screen, we moved it a bit and the screen was perfect

EDIT:
If i got the same issue (and fix by disconnecting the fan) i might try to put this between the mains and the fan:

If it works, i have a few of those here lying around that i can bring to eurocade  ;)

reminder to myself: create a "shoppinglist" of items to bring to eurocade for variouse people  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:49:34 PM by Etienne »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
The shaking is caused by the magnetic field from the fan (which is simply an electrical motor of course.) It looks like the "box" around it is all metal ?

If so check if it is still connected to ground by a wire. That metal box acts as a Faraday cage. A cage like that keeps all the electro-magnetic fields inside.
However, if the grounding is gone or bad it won't work anymore...

You also seriously need to clean that grill because it blocks the air-flow quite a bit...might be worth looking for a proper fan-guard or a wire mesh with bigger holes...it is SO much covering...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:13:00 PM by Level42 »

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
Thanks for that tip about the fan  :wink:
My Kong Junior cab is now also fixed from the shake picture  :D
Thanks !
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:58:07 PM by Robinholland »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
have not thought of that andre, good tip too!

The fancage is total metal in the zacc's

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
Maybe we can check this theory with putting some kind of material between the fan and the pcb, that blocks the magnetic field.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
Maybe we can check this theory with putting some kind of material between the fan and the pcb, that blocks the magnetic field.

No. Because the trick is
1) the box shape. It has to be encapsulated totally (bottom side open is OK)
2) it needs to be grounded for it to work right.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »
nice, but there is no back on this cage, the opposite side of the grill is totally open...

dont know if that is a big deal since that is pointing to the wood of the cab, and not to the PCB, so it might just wave in that direction then..

here a pic from the manual:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »
Doesn't look like a problem to me.

The magnetic fields is probably not causing much troubles for the (game) PCB, but for the monitor itself.

The magnetic fields influence that of the yoke on the CRT. Those should be "kept apart".

Man, that's a weird fan by the way !!!!

It looks like it has a separate motor (on the lower side) that is mechanically coupled to the fan itself. You might have better results with a more modern axial fan (modern fans have the fan itself as the rotor of the motor). Note that it is indicated at 115V AC (pretty weird for a Euro cab).

By the way, pretty bad design they needed a fan for that power supply....Normally I am 100% for originality, but if fans can be avoided.....(who likes the noise ?). You could think about installing a modern switching power supply. That way you can forget about the fan.....

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:45:11 AM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
its on the same line as the monitor as far as i remember, which also needs 110 volts..

maybe thats the problem ?  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
Well, it has always been on the same lines...so that can hardly be the problem UNLESS there is something like a filter capacitor across the motor of the fan that has gone bad...or the motor itself...