Author Topic: :: A New Lazy Road Trip :: ATARI Dragon's Lair (#2)  (Read 60027 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: :: A New Lazy Road Trip :: What's this?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »
Atari Dragonslair/Space Ace. Easy.

Yes ...ATARI Euro Dragon's Lair  ;)

Muerto, your pictures doesn't show the Atari Dragon's Lair version, which is different than the US Cinematronic one  ;)

Atari Dragonslair/Space Ace. Easy.
Yeah that's what I said in the first place. A laser game...and I meant a DL/SA cab. Maybe it's from a certain make like Sidam or Atari ? But Bruno said it wasn't one, right ?

You were on the right track, but you didn't mention DL or even SA  ::) ... and there are more than two laser games released  :P

Full story & pic to come  8)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
Before entering the 'house' (because at this point, Nuno's Lair V1 & V2 are full, and the V3 is not finished), let's see for where this cabinet is coming from  :arrow:

That cabinet comes from the south of the France : Toulouse.

At this point, I would like to thanks 'Le Toulousain' (seller of this cabinet) but also Patrice from www.starcab.net who organized together the shipping  :-*

Let's make enter the beast now...

You can already spot the damaged corner on the bottom of the left side.

Same problem on the right side.

Now standing ...in the kitchen  ;D ... let's size the WAF  ::)  ;D  :arrow:

Come on... it's just one more game... OK, but there's already a too long waiting line in the living room  :twisted:  :oops:  :arrow:

OK, let's see if it's the cab' I'm waiting for... YES  :-*  :arrow:

Let's continue to unpack...

Yes!!! It's a lovely Atari Euro Dragon's Lair cabinet, very hard to find nowadays! Most of them were destroyed by the operators, unable to repair the laser disc related problems  :-\

...yes, like you... I see ... the control panel  :oops: :oops: :oops:  :arrow:

Here's the "why and how", from the seller himself  :

When I was a kid, there was a game located in a game room in the city's port of "La Rochelle" in France, and each time I went, it was for playing that game ...and nothing else!  What a picture/video quality, American voice during attract mode, extraordinary for me ...
I had bought in Tours, from a guy who had a game company and game room. I was looking for a very long time but it was the only one who remained in France, I went around by telephone across the country for months, and the operators all throw away or burn their Dragon's Lair cabinet, which did not work anymore! This one was in original condition, but the laser disc wasn't working, so the operator had to throw the laser disc player. So I bring up that cabinet in my van to Auch (Gers prefecture)... already a Road Trip at the time  ;)
The laser disc no longer available, and Internet was not developed like today, I thought I was alone in the world with my Dragon's Lair cabinet :-[. So I've used a PlayStation and put buttons without asking me too many questions  :oops: , but I'd say I did not touch anything else in case... Today with computer hard drives, or full of something else, and the net, I could have it back on, but at the time in 2000...
Since I'm an electrician, I did it with what I had, and I did not know you could fix it, the guy would have destroyed him if no one had taken, I am sure.
I also had to buy a batch laser disc players (15 units for approx 75€), hoping that there have one that works but they were all out of order! Later, thanks to Internet, I found the Dragon's Lair 2 in UK in working condition...
So, now it is yours, and you can after its renovation, to share the fun at shows, to show that in 1983 (not so long time ago), many young people have been "traumatized" by what they seen! ! ! ! and their life changed, isn't it  ::) ;D

Well, I forgive you  ;)  (who knows what we would have done 11 years ago, without any information or help?  ::)) ... even if this panel will give me a lot of work to restore  :twisted:
Thanks again for that smooth transaction  :-*

As you know, I already have an Atari Dragon's Lair, up & running with the original board and Sony Laser Disc player (with the fabulous Euro DL Interface by Matteo).
So my idea with that new one is to keep the original boards/parts (dunno if it work or not by the way?), as spare for my first one, and restore that one with a Euro DL Daphne setup.
I'll plug the original Dragon's Lair for special occasions or true arcade fans, and the other one (under daphne setup) will be used for exhibition and can be plugged hours & hours in ...my ... (let's say for now) "Museum" to come  ::) :P (I can guarantee that cabinet won't be alone, "Le Toulousain"  ;))

Stay tuned for the complete analyze of this cab, before the start of the 'work'  8)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
Re: :: A New Lazy Road Trip :: ATARI Dragon' Lair (#2)
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
Niiiiiiice!
+ I always love to read the (often adventurous) lifestory of the cabs.
Congrats again Nuno :!:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
You were on the right track, but you didn't mention DL or even SA  ::) ... and there are more than two laser games released  :P

Not fair Bruno, it was TOO obvious that it would have to be one of these.....it could hardly be a Mad Dog ;)

I also noticed that the cab was too high to be Nintendo and the corner on the front was too low.... ;)

Now get her ready for Eurocade !  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
....it could hardly be a Mad Dog ;)

You really should check how many laser disc games released, and you'll be surprised  ;)

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
I'll plug the original Dragon's Lair for special occasions or true arcade fans, and the other one (under daphne setup) will be used for exhibition and can be plugged hours & hours in ...my ... (let's say for now) "Museum" to come  ::) :P (I can guarantee that cabinet won't be alone, "Le Toulousain"  ;))

Congrats on the catch!
But wait until Matt's new interface will be fully developed and then you will be able to let the game on for hours and hours even with the original HW. No more LD players needed. Check out the WIP here.

Matteo

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »

Congrats on the catch!
But wait until Matt's new interface will be fully developed and then you will be able to let the game on for hours and hours even with the original HW. No more LD players needed. Check out the WIP here.

Matteo

Woow! Thanks Matteo for the update on that  :-* :-* :-*

Sure I'll try that way ! Hell Yeah!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: :: A New Lazy Road Trip :: ATARI Dragon's Lair (#2)
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
I guess that's a fully solid-state replacement for the laserdisc info....mmm, interesting ! However, boooohhh, we want original crappy hardware ! ;)

No kidding, this would be a brilliant product for those machines ! To be released from the unreliable LD players has to be a dream for collectors of these machines !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
nice catch, bruno, although i like the other cabinet's version much more. those buttons on the control panel are "not my type" (mildly put)!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

McVenco

• View Profile
    • www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 09:54:41 PM »
those buttons on the control panel are "not my type" (mildly put)!

I guess they were installed to make the Playstation work....

Otherwise: nice catch!
No arcade cab(s) yet, but happy owner of 2 Colecovisions, 2 Amigas and a pc running Mame.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
Looks really nice, can't wait for the cp restoration report. ;D
Congrats Bruno!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
Sure nice indeed !

but like everyone says , that CP need those playstation buttons removed and restored

its in good hands now ...  ;)

macskajancsi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Thanks Muerto, You are great! I find this pics long time ago.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
First, its identity  :arrow:

SN 132665, impossible to miss it, it's written on every components as you'll see.

Now let's check what's inside that box  8)

SN on monitor...

The power 'brick' :

...and the Audio II / Regulator...

...to be tested on my other Dragon's Lair cab' ...

...so the main board :

The ROM version :

Anyone know them?  :arrow:

Maybe I should call them? Hello, do you still repair or provide Dragon's Lair stuff?  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
It's always fun to find old adresses from back in the day in/on cabs. It gives them character !

I also like the "EUROLAIR" rom names.....nice name for a meet or gameroom.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D