Author Topic: [Report] An Arcadian Weekend (Roadtrip and more ...)  (Read 17510 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: [Report] An Arcadian Weekend (Roadtrip and more ...)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
Congrats, Klax is so underrated, I really like it !

That Magic Worm looks very nice indeed !! Must be strange to play "Centi" on a monitor that is laying flat though, I think the very vertical position of the monitor on the original Centipede cab is essential for the game...

The more I look at Sidam cabs, the more I like the lines.... ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »
Congrats Ully, that Klax looks mint and I'm sending my huge thanks for picking up that Zaccaria CAT'N MOUSE soundboard. :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
I'm sending my huge thanks for picking up that Zaccaria CAT'N MOUSE soundboard. :D

no problem at all, there was still some space in my car ;) and now i know what that soundboard is for, i had thought it would be for your space pirate! have you been able to fix the sound problems on that one?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »

thx, exactly what i'm thinking. i'm seriously considering bringing klax to cax eh eurocade because i like the duel character of the game (tetris-esque)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
Congrats on the find! - your collection expands very fast atm!!! - how many cabs are there???

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
have you been able to fix the sound problems on that one?
Unfortunately not, maybe I will ask Marco (Vernimark) to take a look at the pcbs. ;)

jcp

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
Congrats Ully  ;).

Congrats on the find! - your collection expands very fast atm!!! - how many cabs are there???
Too many in my opinion  :spaceace:.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:40:57 AM by jcp »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »
That Game looks mint !

Congrats, its something different for you not to have a complete restore  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 08:32:15 PM »

too many probably ;) but i can always thin down my collection easily, so no harm done here! if i'm not able to find a place big enough, i will have to sell of some cabs - and if that's the case i have at least the chance to pick the cherries ;D but to be honest, as of now, i'd have a really difficult time to let go of some of my cabs ...

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »
Hahahaha, you're unstoppable! I really enjoyed klax on my atari lynx, great game, not a fan of the artwork though.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 01:06:43 AM »
Ully, can't you start a German Arcade Museum ? Maybe you can get a nice subsidy to buy or rent a building for the games.....

traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »

I agree, the first game i got with my c64 was klax, loved that game! many hours of good gaming in it  :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
Ully, can't you start a German Arcade Museum ? Maybe you can get a nice subsidy to buy or rent a building for the games.....

i'm seriously considering renting (our buying) a separate gameroom, but i won't be turning it into a museum of some kind because i don't want my games to get damaged / abused by people who don't really care about the old stuff!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »

i'm seriously considering renting (our buying) a separate gameroom, but i won't be turning it into a museum of some kind because i don't want my games to get damaged / abused by people who don't really care about the old stuff!

That is exactly how i feel, though, i like my arcades to look used, that's why i don't restore them like you do... - but friends, no problem  :)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »

DAY 2 – LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON & EVENING

at home, a box of washing powder was waiting inside my bathtub ;)

but this was not the only package waiting for me

a couple of days earlier, i had put up a posting on the german arcade forums where i was looking for an original klax pcb. i was offered a couple of bootlegs, but eventually two offers turned out to be genuine: one came from the guy who had "donated" me a taito qix cabinet and just a little while later had sold me five classic cabinets in a bulk buy. his asking price for the pcb was 25 euros shipped and i could choose from different language versions (english, german, japanese) - this offer was too good to turn down! only a few hours after sealing that deal, i was contacted by another guy who i had sold the berlin out run mini cabinet to. i had helped him quite a bit afterwards on his restoration (powdercoating etc.) and for that he offered me an original klax pcb for free - it was a no brainer. within a couple of hours, i had scored two original circuit boards for 25 euros! :)

here's the one from berlin - german language version

the two pcbs side by side (and in case you're wondering: the other one is the english language version :))

before he sent the package of, "the out run guy" had told me he would throw another present into the box along with the klax pcb which might come in handy in the future. i was very curious what this present was going to be, but i had never thought it would be what it eventually turned out to be :arrow:

an original (fully-working) donkey kong junior pcb :o

the only thing that needs to be done is unsolder that connector, but that's going to be easy. what a great surprise indeed!!! thx so much :-*

after that arcade-filled day, i decided to spend the evening with a couple of friends watching and celebrating the eurovision song contest - while enjoying a chocolate fondue. here's my good friend verena cutting the fruit - "don't come any closer, i'm armed" ;)

we really had a lot of stuff to dip in :shock:

watching our lovely lena perform

perhaps some jinxing is going to help her win again

let's vote for our favorites

fingers crossed for lena! unfortunately, she wasn't able to shatter the competition this time, but we had a great evening and a looot of chocolate! :P

DAY 3 – SUNDAY

the next day, i had to head over to the storage with some tools in my "arcade basket"

unfortunately, the klax cabinet came without any keys at all, so i was forced to drill open the backdoor lock

instruction sheet attached to the backdoor

a first peak inside - very clean (as i had expected)

the asterix pcb

a look at the bottom of the cabinet - can you guess what it is?

monitor manual and the parts and wiring diagrams (two copies)

i exchanged asterix for the klax pcb ...

... and flicked the switch!

:) crisp clear colourful picture :)

i also tested the english version - both pcbs are working perfectly!

the money shot!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

that concludes my arcadian weekend - i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did! It was a blast!!! :-*

superully signing off ...