Author Topic: neon sign - save it or rust in pieces eh rest in peace?  (Read 38214 times)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
Re: neon sign - save it or rust in pieces eh rest in peace?
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
quick poll: what would you do? save it or rust in pieces?
I'd say save it without any hesitation...
....but that doesn't really count because you know I'm very interested in the metal parts of the sign once you'll be done with them...
Damn, if only I'd live (even a bit) closer, I'd gladly help you taking this down.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
I would get it if I were you though....plenty of room and you really need _some_ arcade decoration :)

i've even thought about renting an old military bunker in our (abandoned) military barracks and calling it ELEKTRO BUNKER (or something like that). i've just been there today on a tour with the owner, this would be a couple of meters below ground and is constructed to withstand a total collapse of the building on top of it. i have the key here with me right now, perhaps i should put up some pictures 8)

Elektro Bunker, i love it! It would give you one of the coolest game rooms in the world.

WOuld love to see the some pic's, is it a WWII bunker?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:10:51 PM by gyruss »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:59 PM »
If it's WWI you need this:

Which will solve your "not a real gameroom without a vector problem" too  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[Edit]Wait a minute.....did they actually have bunkers in WWI ?

SeTTleR

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »
Yeah, I go for Elektro Bunker, too! And the Vindicators cab totally fits into that one :D

And for the sign: Save it! You talked so long about that and tried very hard to get in touch with those guys...
Btw. Have you tried leaving your number at the house? Maybe write it on paper and push it under the door. Maybe the guy gets there some time and you miss him. But then.. I would not steal the sign and leave my number there :) Anyway: Go for it!
`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
WOuld love to see the some pic's, is it a WWII bunker?

it's more like a shelter where the soldiers would hide in case of a military chemical / biological strike (or whatever). from the basement, a flight of stairs leads down into what i called the bunker - a couple of meters below the ground. it even has a vertical escape hatch, fluorescent signs and the original bunks inside.

the reason why i have the keys is that i'll be spending the night with my school class in the barracks this wednesday and as a part of our entertainment program, i'm planning on taking the kids into that bunker - flashlights only. this is going to be extremely scary, because they have no idea that i have arranged that :twisted:. today, i asked the owner of the barracks if that would be possible, so we went on a short tour today where he showed me everything and handed me the keys afterwards. :)

i'll try to take some pictures tomorrow! i already love that place :-*
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »
I would say save it;

1. alot of efforts already have been done
2. just for the thrills of it to take it down in broad daylight in a worksmen outfit  ;D

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
Still very cool, and a perfect place to play games like missile command!  ;D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »
Brilliant idea for your students, it's something the kids will remember forever.

...and of course that Elektro Bunker would really be something :!:
Before I found THE BASE (=that place I rent for my gameroom), I was looking at every building, bike shed or even dog house and filling them up with cabs mentally. I just couldn't stop.
The coolest places I thought about were: underground in my garden, a double container in a field, a boat in the canal nearby and an abandoned part of a castle in my village (I know some of these possible gameroom locations have been discussed at some point here)...
...but investing a real bunker would truly be the most original and I'd consider it if I were you, as long as it's conveniently located of course.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »
You're going to spend a night with what, 25-30 kids in a bunker with how many security exits and any fire alarm ??

I wouldn't sleep. But then again, that's what we call job deformation.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
You're going to spend a night with what, 25-30 kids in a bunker with how many security exits and any fire alarm ??

nope, atm our school is being renovated, that's why most of the classes (and teachers) had to move into the nearby barracks where we have an entire building for ourselves. the former military buildings are or already have been transformed into business buildings, but there are still a couple of empty buildings lying dormant by the side of the road. we are going to VISIT one of those buildings late at night with flashlights in our hands, but we are NOT going to sleep in there - although we could because as i've said the bunks are still in there - plus the bar ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
The coolest places I thought about were: underground in my garden, a double container in a field, a boat in the canal nearby and an abandoned part of a castle in my village (I know some of these possible gameroom locations have been discussed at some point here)...

abandoned part of a castle sounds cool as well, why didn't that happen? well, in know, because you didn't take any pics ... ;)

...but investing a real bunker would truly be the most original and I'd consider it if I were you, as long as it's conveniently located of course.

it is conveniently located, just outside my hometown! one of the cool things about it is the entrance, but i don't wanna spoil the fun for now, i'll take some pics (and a video?) this afternoon!

the big questions are:
- will the owner of the barracks area rent parts of a building to a private person (or is he only considering firms)?
- how much is that going to cost?

let's see ... for now this seems to be the coolest place i have found so far in regards to a future gameroom.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
abandoned part of a castle sounds cool as well, why didn't that happen? well, in know, because you didn't take any pics ... ;)
Many reasons: too far from my house compared to the place I now rent, no separate entrance from the owner and not really electronic devices friendly in the winter... and you're right, the owner certainly didn't want me to take any pics of this (not a super friendly meeting to tell you the truth)  ;).

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »
The bunker soundt super cool, though, i have some worries.....
My main concern is: how are the humid condition of the bunker??, and of course, everytime you will play your games, you have to drive to this place....

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »
The bunker soundt super cool, though, i have some worries.....
My main concern is: how are the humid condition of the bunker??, and of course, everytime you will play your games, you have to drive to this place....

i'm pretty sure humidity won't be a problem down there. there are still metal signs and wooden parts down there and none of them show any signs of "humidity error"

regarding the distance: that's a good argument, but honestly, how good are the chances of ever finding a place where i can house all my games? chances would increase if i could move anywhere, but i want to stay here in my hometown in order to be able to walk to work, so options are somewhat limited.

of course i could also downsize my collection, but right now i'd rather have something bigger to be able to squeeze in as many games as possible and drive there instead of losing games.

but all of that is a hypothecial mind game right now, chances are that i ask the owner and he simply tells me to get lost :P

nevertheless, i'll be going to the bunker later with a friend for some photos - you guys should at least see what we've been talking about! perhaps you're going to say "what a piece of crap"!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 06:58:09 AM »

six years in the making - all good things come to those who wait ...

more on that shortly on my youtube channel!!!  8)