Author Topic: neon sign - save it or rust in pieces eh rest in peace?  (Read 38211 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: neon sign - save it or rust in pieces eh rest in peace?
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
Cool !
Superully's Elektro Arcade  :spaceace:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:29:47 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
That sign was my first thought, when I saw the name of your Arcade. :D
Well done. ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
thx guys! the sign is literally falling apart at the bottom, but i'll somehow save it. getting it down wasn't easy, but i'm thrilled that it's finally home. i have to say - no matter what its current condition is - it looks fantastic in reality and when this is hanging on one of my walls (together with the words Superully's and Arkade) one day it's gonna rock big time!!! i found the perfect spot for it  8) 
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2017, 03:38:45 PM »
Just saw that thread.
I dont remember exactly, but I guess it was on youtube. There are only a few companies worldwide who still do lamps like that Elektro. Somewhere in China, or Hong Kong ( and on that video, you saw impressive lamps! ).

I thought i let you know if you need replacement or "cade"  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
Just saw that thread.
I dont remember exactly, but I guess it was on youtube. There are only a few companies worldwide who still do lamps like that Elektro. Somewhere in China, or Hong Kong ( and on that video, you saw impressive lamps! ).

I thought i let you know if you need replacement or "cade"  ;)

thx, i'll try to repair the damage to the metal first (or better: have it repaired). as for the neon stuff i'm not sure what to do you exactly , don't know how safe it is to hook it up. i'll have to read up on neon stuff first and then decide. if everything fails, i can still use some led rope inside the existing tubes to make them might up, although i'd definitely prefer to have a real neon sign on my wall.

as for the "cade", it has to be ARKADE and i already know where to get this from  8). and finally, the "Superully's" exists in my head and i think i have a pretty good plan on how to get it right!

my problem at the moment: too many ideas, too many projects, too little time. good thing that two weeks of holidays are coming up ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2017, 08:21:11 PM »
did you steal the sign? Or was it free to take or maybe you bought it?
I hope for the stealing  ;D

Awesome if you get it up and running anyways,

I think my friend went to some shop here in sweden that could fix a broken Neon Atari sign once, but when I took a look at it the Neontubes were fine and it didnt work because a wire were loose inside.
We got the sign as a sponsordeal for the videgame event Retrospelsmässan here in Sweden, we sold it and donated the money to an organisation for childrens rights here in Sweden. I think it went for around 400-500euros
Nothing on the sign says who made it but It can be seen on an old photo from an event held by Namco I think. They had this sign made so it is indeed the real deal... I wish I bought it, but instead a collector from Norway got it...

sorry for the off topic.

Edit: It is a stainless steel box holding the electronics...

- Always looking for Playchoice & Mega-Tech -

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:56 PM »
did you steal the sign? Or was it free to take or maybe you bought it?
I hope for the stealing  ;D

sorry to disappoint you, but to cut a long story short: i bought it, although i still don't know for how much :P. the seller said: take it down, we'll talk about the price later ...

I think my friend went to some shop here in sweden that could fix a broken Neon Atari sign once, but when I took a look at it the Neontubes were fine and it didnt work because a wire were loose inside.
We got the sign as a sponsordeal for the videgame event Retrospelsmässan here in Sweden, we sold it and donated the money to an organisation for childrens rights here in Sweden. I think it went for around 400-500euros
Nothing on the sign says who made it but It can be seen on an old photo from an event held by Namco I think. They had this sign made so it is indeed the real deal... I wish I bought it, but instead a collector from Norway got it...

sorry for the off topic.

don't worry, stories like that are what make our hobby that great. old neon signs are an art in itself, a shame you didn't get it yourself. looks totally cool  8)

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 01:03:15 AM »
the seller said: take it down, we'll talk about the price later ...

UhhOhhh, I think It´s a trap...
- Always looking for Playchoice & Mega-Tech -

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
UhhOhhh, I think It´s a trap...

;D it's not. we've both thrown out prices beforehand and said that we could definitely agree on something in the middle - it's just a matter of "pushing the middle" in either direction  ;)

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »
I am really enjoying this thread! I had forgotten about this sign. I'm looking forward to see how it will look when you are done with it.
I have also found a neon sign "in the wild" that I really want, but it's high up above a busy street. It would be crazy expensive and/or impossible to get it.  :(

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
I am really enjoying this thread! I had forgotten about this sign. I'm looking forward to see how it will look when you are done with it.

thx! in all those years i never forgot about the sign because i've been driving by there from time to time, always afraid it might be gone one day. i almost had it once but then the house got sold again and the previous owner didn't wanna give me the contact details of the new owner - meaning: i had to start from scratch!

will start working on it at the weekend ...

I have also found a neon sign "in the wild" that I really want, but it's high up above a busy street. It would be crazy expensive and/or impossible to get it.  :(

can you tell us about that sign of yours? busy streets suck, but too high is no excuse  :P the problem might be getting it down in one piece, those things scare the hell out of me when it comes to moving them around ...  :twisted:

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »
can you tell us about that sign of yours? busy streets suck, but too high is no excuse  :P the problem might be getting it down in one piece, those things scare the hell out of me when it comes to moving them around ...  :twisted:

It's a neon sign on Nathan Road in Mong Kok, Hong Kong, it says Game Zone. I don't think I will ever be able to get this, or have it shipped home. But I can dream! ::)
The pictures don't really do it justice, but here it is: (It's the green sign on the right)

And here is a street view link!  :)

When searching for pictures of this I found lots of articles which said that Hong Kong's neon signs are disappearing. They are removed because they are considered visual pollution or a hazard. But the Game Zone arcade is still alive, so I hope that this sign won't be taken down any time soon. The street view picture is from 2011, so I'm not sure though. I haven't been there since a couple of years. John's Arcade visited that arcade some time ago and made an on the road video.  :)

I'm also quite sure that the sign is huge, although it doesn't look that big from a distance. Maybe my best chance is to have it copied/remade on a smaller scale.  :oops:

Edit: If you compare the picture with the street view link, you can see that most of the neon signs are indeed gone.  :'(

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »
i stand corrected: too high IS indeed an excuse here ;). if you manage to get this neon sign from hongkong, i will do a dance of joy for you on my channel. oh, and by the way, this thing looks huuuuuuuge!!!

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
Thank you! I don't think that there is a big chance of this happening!  :lol: