Author Topic: electric/elecronics gurus, i need help needed for non arcade hobby please.  (Read 4777 times)

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
Hello all
i have an electric piano which i'm guessing is gonna have pcb's in it.
the problem is when i plug it in the following happens, it works for a short while then buzzes horribly then goes silent, re-booting(switching it off and back on ) fixes it for a few seconds then eventually the reboot doesnt work. leave it for a day and you get a few seconds from it and back to the cycle again of it failing
. i know nothing of electronics, is there a component that i should start to look for when i try to fix it, something that fails in that way if that makes sense, maybe power supplies heating up will fail like this? i've no idea
any suggestions gratefuly recieved. :)
 :spaceace:
just keeping an eye on things

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Cap-kit !

liquidx

• Bruxhell, Belgium
    • View Profile
If you can play it while it's open and you have access to the PCBs, and it ends up not being a capacitor problem, you can always try using freeze-spray on components that seem too hot (try bringing the back of your hand close to them to see if they're hot, don't go putting your fingers everywhere :) ). At the worst just spray component by component.

If freezing a specific item brings the machine back to its normal state, you've found the culprit.
findapinball.com - The European pinball locator

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
Cap-kit !
haha , its always a cap kit with you guys, thanks andre, i actually hoped it would be something obvious to you, at least i know what a capacitor looks like from reading all the resto threads. :)  if i remember correctly andre a blown capacitor might show a physical defect?

If you can play it while it's open and you have access to the PCBs, and it ends up not being a capacitor problem, you can always try using freeze-spray on components that seem too hot (try bringing the back of your hand close to them to see if they're hot, don't go putting your fingers everywhere :) ). At the worst just spray component by component.

If freezing a specific item brings the machine back to its normal state, you've found the culprit.
thanks liquidx , i'll pick some up and brave opening the lid  :D its ok, i'm ok with electricity just dont know electronics, i'll be careful :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
if i remember correctly andre a blown capacitor might show a physical defect?

it might..., it could be bad and look 100% good...

many times when it looks physically damaged, the cap is bad though..

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
thanks etienne, that name is so cool to me because of this song   8)

i need to get a multimeter, mine are not suitable for electronics and study andres thread on byoac i think :)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Nice song..
Its my real name.. cant help it  ;D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
Maybe I should call you Saint Etienne, one of the mysterious guardian angel of the arcade heaven... it sounds really chic  :)