Author Topic: Amiga's intros lovers around?  (Read 5001 times)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:05:26 PM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: Amiga's intros lovers around?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
If you have WINUAE, this is heaven: www.pouet.net

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
Cool, love amiga intro's especially the music. ;)

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »
The Amiga is only good for demos, nothing else... Atari Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Have You Played Atari Today ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »
The Amiga is only good for demos, nothing else... Atari Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D

Well, only recently I started to think differently about it (a bit).

See, the developers of the Amiga were also the developers of the.....A8 !
They tried to persuade Atari (when it was still Warner) to get their new machine developed but in all brightness Warner decided not to.
This would have become the "Atari Amiga" so to speak....

In frustration they left and started Amiga....which was later of course related to Commodore.

Anyway, soooooo, I should have bought an Amiga after I sold my A8 set, but hey, they were too freaking expensive then ! The only 68000 machine I could afford (and I do not consider the QL a real computer) was the ST.
And I never regretted it, the b/w 71 Hz screen was a joy to the eye for those days. Games we played on color screens...
I used the ST WAY into the 90's....and still have it.

Anyway...yeah yeah, the Amiga had the better hardware, but the cost was way too high when it was released. ONly when the 500 came it got more affordable, but I already had the ST then :)

The funny thing is that in generel lines it went like this:

A8 team, developed Amiga for Commodore and later the Lynx for Epyx that got eventually to be an Atari product.
In the meant time the ST was developed by the guys who did the C64....so al you Commodore whiners should have bought an ST back in the day ! ;)

Of all those machines, I still love the A8 the most.

BUT of course there is only one REAL Atari:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:06:38 PM by Level42 »

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:28:55 PM »
Yes it's true that it's really a strange story, the Amiga should be an Atari and the ST a Commodore.

The Amiga was a fantastic machine for Demos ans games but the ST was more polyvalent  :)

By the way great site (with ST demos too) and nice tee-shirt (where did you find it ?)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
Yes it's true that it's really a strange story, the Amiga should be an Atari and the ST a Commodore.

The Amiga was a fantastic machine for Demos ans games but the ST was more polyvalent  :)

By the way great site (with ST demos too) and nice tee-shirt (where did you find it ?)

Regretfully not mine, I saw the photo here:

www.atarigames.com

In the photo section.

Yes, you're exactly right about the ST: It had "the best of both worlds", I never saw the Amiga as a machine that could do serious "business" like stuff. That's what I liked about the ST...with the B/W monitor is was a cheap Mac, with the color monitor a very good games (etc.) machine...

Since we're talking "intro's" and "demo's" here, a small proof of the power of the A8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxAfGTO8nE
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:39:35 PM by Level42 »

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
Regretfully not mine, I saw the photo here:

www.atarigames.com

In the photo section.

Yes, you're exactly right about the ST: It had "the best of both worlds", I never saw the Amiga as a machine that could do serious "business" like stuff. That's what I liked about the ST...with the B/W monitor is was a cheap Mac, with the color monitor a very good games (etc.) machine...

Since we're talking "intro's" and "demo's" here, a small proof of the power of the A8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxAfGTO8nE

Not for flaming!
Sorry, but with Amiga ( first an A2000 plus 40Mb HD mfm type with a non professional genlock, after some monts, an A4000/030 with GVP IV 24 ) I work many years on a local television mading gfx and using "SCALA" ( on Atari never made... ) for titeling and other things. Don't blame Atari is professional, Amiga not, simply the computer have the same start team ( Jay Glenn Miner for example! ) and different type of using: IMO AtariST made a great job for several years for musician with his midi interface, but for gfx, the Amiga was superior: the HAM mode for example; the possiblity to use a genlock and having the bit 0 free for making any type of background or pass a video signal.

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
Yes !!! Fighting between Amiga and ST!!! As in the 80-90's  ;D ;D ;D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile