Author Topic: Dead Coleco Pac Man  (Read 4865 times)

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Dead Coleco Pac Man
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »
I have read the Coleco repair pages here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/ColecoRepair/index.html
But I have a question to you electronic wizkids out here.

The unit I bought does not power on.
This is what I checked:
- I have a Gakken unit (which has a power plug instead of the Coleco branded ones), so I connected 6V mini-mini jack (2.5mm, 6.3 V tip).
- When the switch is off, I measure +6.3V between the red wire-solder point on the PCB and the black one (seems totally logical).
- When the switch is on, I measure +1.5V on the switched pin from the on/off switch. That feels weird, I think it should still be 6.3V.

What can this mean?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Coleco Pac Man
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:43:25 PM »
without power i can understand that the 6v is correct
when you switch it on, a little drop is possible, but to 1,5 seems too much to me
maybe the adapter is not enough amps ?
or maybe there is a short somewhere..

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:53:22 PM »
I have read the Coleco repair pages here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/ColecoRepair/index.html
But I have a question to you electronic wizkids out here.

The unit I bought does not power on.
This is what I checked:
- I have a Gakken unit (which has a power plug instead of the Coleco branded ones), so I connected 6V mini-mini jack (2.5mm, 6.3 V tip).
- When the switch is off, I measure +6.3V between the red wire-solder point on the PCB and the black one (seems totally logical).
- When the switch is on, I measure +1.5V on the switched pin from the on/off switch. That feels weird, I think it should still be 6.3V.

What can this mean?

From the site:

"If power is getting to the main board, and seems to be getting through the power switch, but doesn't go much further, I'd suspect a transistor. For me, this is a quick test, but if you aren't familiar with de-soldering or testing transistors, then this might not be for you. Basically, there are two transistors in the game (one circled in yellow, the other is the black square right below it), remove them both and test them with a meter. (Other games might have more, just learn their apperance, they are black, almost always circular with one flat face, and have 3 connections coming out of them.) If either fails, replace it. (They are cheap, you can always just replace them instead of testing them if you'd rather go that route.) I'm still surprised how many games I've fixed with this one procedure. It just takes plugging in the wrong kind of power once... These almost act like fuses for the game.

If none of the above seems to fix the game, and things aren't getting hot when turned on, try testing several points on the game with the volt meter and see if you can trace how far power is going. Also, check the traces on the main board as best you can for damage, corrosion or breaks (see the section below about my problem for an example of this). If you are determined to fix your game, remove all the transistors, resistors, diodes and capacitors, and test them all. If everything is working, and you can't find physical damage to the board, most likely the CPU chip itself got damaged. That usually means find another game... (Also, if you find a bad component, test them ALL before you replace the one and power up the game. Another component could be causing the damage to the one you just replaced.)"

Try to check the transormer too!!

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »
It works again!
Woot!

There were some real bad solder-joints at the micro transformator for the VFD display. These old PCB's are really hard to solder. The non-conductive layer over the PCB is really messing up the flowing of the solder. You have to scrape everything off until you see blank copper before it works.

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:16:04 PM »
A pic:

As you can see, it is different than the Coleco ones, its from Gakken, but the PCB is Coleco, and the game is exactly the same. I even like it better. The colour scheme is more subtle and the graphics more stylish. The stickers are in perfect condition. Guess Gakken used better quality stickers. The Coleco's often suffer from glue-rot.

Original one (not mine):
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:29:11 PM by Blanka »