Author Topic: @!#?@!? from the land of the smurfs  (Read 7282 times)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
@!#?@!? from the land of the smurfs
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:06 PM »
Hi all, here's to introduce myself:

I'm 37 and I work as a graphic designer for a record label. I'd like to start a classic games cabinet collection because I regard them as true pieces of art and because theses games always bring back such good memories...

The only times I could play a lot of arcades as a kid was when we were going on vacation at the belgian sea shore so thoses cabs for me convey the feeling of (randomly): sand scratching in my plastic shoes, loud laugh of the last boss in kung-fu master, teenagers practising their "I'm bored to death and I don't even have to watch the screen" look while playing, having to get back on time for diner (even if I was at the very last fight in double dragons), +++...

When I was home I played a lot of C64 (pretending not to notice the difference between the arcade version and the C64 version of course), videopac, vectrex, various handheld games and much later snes.

A billion years after that, in the early 90s, I was no longer wearing plastic shoes at the beach, and I discovered mame by accident (on the very first week I had internet while looking for a C64 emulator).
THEY were all there waiting for me, even the ones I didn't even remember the names correctly (quartet, black tiger, the ninja warriors...).
Wow, it was a blast from the past! The crazy idea of owning my own cabinet slowly but surely grew in me years after years. Of course I had thought about that as a kid many times but to me it was something that could only happen in sitcoms (remember "silver spoons" ;))...

But first thing first, right now, I really NEED to play, a lot, and no longer via a computer screen, I need the real feeling of facing that big ass heavy chunk of wood right in front of me, I want to press a real "player one" button ! So my very first toy will be a Mame (in a space chaser cabinet because it has such a gorgeous artwork) just to quench my thirst... it's still under constuction but I'm very excited as you can read.
Sadly I don't know anything yet about electronics and stuff but there's a lot to learn from this forum so I'll do my homeworks but might sometimes still ask some silly newbie questions... and as graphic designer I can't wait to start some sideart and control panel art restorations on dedicated cabs (by the way, let me know if I can be of any help on vectorisations and graphic stuff)...

Additionally as a typography + arcade lover, I also started a small marquee collection, it's an "easy to store" way of having something from the original beast and it displays so much nicer on your wall than a strand of hair from Bill Mitchell's mullet.

I've a great time reading your posts on this forum, guys, keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:57:57 PM by chrischris »

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: @!#?@!? from the land of the smurfs
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:15:12 PM »
was Peyo a Belgian? I always use to think he was French

anyhow, welcome
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:19:48 AM »
Hey Chris and welcome!

You say that Marquees a much nicer on the wall that some of Billy´s hair......... do you have some of Billy's hair???!!!  :o ;D

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
Hi Chris, welcome aboard, it's nice to hear that you have vectorisation skills, It is very useful in this hobby. ;D

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:11:41 AM »
Hi Chris and welcome here !!!  :spaceace: :-*
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »
hi chris, welcome to the forum! we've already had the pleasure to talk "privately", looking forward to seeing pics of your first cab. and from what i understand, you're a vector expert as well ;) :-* ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »
Yeah, welcome here!

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
another belgian , wish u a warm welcome  :lol:

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »
Welcome to our new Belgian member  :-*

Enjoy this place to the max  :)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
Thanks everybody for your warm welcoming here!!!
I'll bring you something good for dinner:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:16:32 PM by chrischris »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Additionally as a typography + arcade lover, I also started a small marquee collection, it's an "easy to store" way of having something from the original beast and it displays so much nicer on your wall than a strand of hair from Bill Mitchell's mullet.
Then again, the marquees don't keep the rats out...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Graphic designer huh.....mmmm, that could come in handy ! :D

Welcome !

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »
Welcome!!