Author Topic: :: Report :: DL Euro Fans Meeting 06' in UK  (Read 31535 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
DL Euro Fans Meeting 06' in UK
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 06:19:28 PM »
just one word : GREATTTTT !!!!!!!! :-)

Ok, here's the story... by a Belgium DL fan  :wink:

Jason pick me up saturday morning  at the train station, and the first place to visit is ... a fuel  station... where he bought one thousand of sugar refineries, chips, water bottles, coke cans, ... all the essential things to survive two days in the Lair  :shock:  You have to see the faces of the sellers there, wondering why the hell Jason is buying so much things :-D
By the way, the picture below shows only 20% of all the stuff :-)

OK, arriving the Lair... Matteo & Andrea "ANY" were already working on a cab... this one has missing sound on one chanel...

... I met also Justin... already working on a board... Woow... he is motivate to the death :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  Great !

It is the third time that I meet Jason in his Lair, but the first time I meet & also speak to Matteo, Any & Justin  :o They are all very kind ... and they rock in board repairing.
I especially put a knee at ground in front of Matteo, to salute him... because he's the man behind the famous "Dragon's Lair interface", which allow to use my euro DL pcb with a 'recent' LD player :o :o  :o  :o

Ok, a lot of thing to do these two days : one of them is to install this "Thayer's Quest" conversion kit... still boxed ...

...inside this cab'  :arrow:

...starting with the score board...

...and a *brand* new WG monitor  :)

Jason demonstates us the Sidam DL version, with the second monitor for the crowd... impressive  :o

Here's a great item : the original prototype of a print who should be installed inside the sides of the cab', on left & right from the monitor... like a huge bezel  :o
Opps... my english is too bad to explain :-( Ok, the picture shows you where it is supposed to be applied :roll:  :

OK, back on the Thayer's Quest... which LD player to use ?

Matteo & Any are both Jedi Masters, regarding the laser disc player repairing  :o  :o  :o

"Is it dangerous ?" I'm asking Matteo, regarding the laser beam ?

"No... just don't get the beam straight to your eye"  :mrgreen:  :|

Hey, what happens with one of the two Ultracade Dragon's Lair 20th anniversary cab ?  :shock:

... yes, this cab  :?  :?:

:D  Ok, just a CMOS battery to replace... the easiest fix of the week end  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But... by the way... what's inside this re-issue cab'  :roll:  :wink:   ?

A jamma connector... and a small computer...

...closer :

Ok it's working now  :P  Jason, you should switch on that cab' more often, in order to avoid such problem  :P  :P  :P

Hey, great   :o  Two more Dragon's Lair fans inside the Lair  :o  I'll call them 'the two hardcore gamers'  :wink:  Here's Steve & Lee  :)

only ONE objective for them this week end... to master all the Don Bluth games  :shock:

While this time, the' THREE TECH' are working...

Any is working on the Thayer's Quest...

...and Matteo is playing on a Vectrex game... oppsss  no  :roll:   He's working in fact, with a strange tool  with ton of buttons :roll:  :wink:

This player had a mirror problem :

... and ... and ... and...

:arrow:

:arrow:

It's FIXED now :P  :P  :P  

OPpsss... too bad, it's not fixed by me  8)  8)  8) , but by the JediMaster Matteo :

These three guys are really impressive regarding their skill in electronic. I would like to have one of them close to my place  :roll:  :wink:

Repairing DL Board : Theory & practice by Matteo SNB : 45878-54145

Why I didn't learn electronic back in the days ...

Justin is great, he explains me the basis regading the 'chip' testing  :idea:

And here's Darren  :P

Very kind & cool  :P  ... and a die hard Dragon's lair player too  :o

I'm happy to see that the Atari Dragon's Lair cab' was the most played cab' Normal, it's the best version  :roll:  :wink:

Darren & the Dragon   :arrow:

... and it's already time to eat something  :)  

Ok, so what's better to eat atfer potatos, chocolates, ... ???  Remember, we're in Uk, so let's go for the official food here : Fish'n'Chips  :P  :P  :P

...light food ? mmhhh ?

For few of us, the target is now to complete the game  :arrow:

Have a look at this picture :

I would die to see the same picture with the same guys ... 20 years ago  :o

Holy Jesus, they are all able to finish the game  :o  

... I'm happy to see that we are all completing the Lizard King level with the same 'cool' moves  :roll:  :wink:   :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:

The Thayer's quest is now working  :)  There are only the 2 speakers to attach, and ... rock'n'roll  8)

Ok, it's very late now... after something like 12 ~ 14 hours of Dragon's Lair univers, it's time to take a rest  :lol:

Too bad, Darren have to quit... I really hope to meet you soon again my friend.

...inside the Jaz' car... with his bikes (under the cover)... Justin ride one of  them  :lol:

I was sleeping in a room, Justin is the same room too...

"Isn't he adorable" (c)Kimmy  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

When I awoke, Justin wasn't there anymore... Well, I thing I whirr too much   :oops:  :roll:  :wink: ... so he choose to sleep in ... a kitchen  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ok, It's Sunday... the A-Team is ready for a new day  :arrow:

Now, the 'serious' stuff ... here's the 'all famous' Dragon's Lair serial #1 cab :

A TRUE PIECE OF HISTORY  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Jason, playing his fav' game : Dragon's Lair II :

... incredible... he made a mistake ... he misses ONE move  :shock:  :shock:   :shock:   :roll:  :wink:

Matteo is not only a GREAT technician, he loves playing games too  :)

Lee & Steve have to quit now... they have to drive 4 hours... so, let's take picture together ( too bad we didn't take a group picture with Darren)

Hey... what happens ???

??????????????

Ok, same picture with a flash ... power failure for all the Lair !!!

Any "Oppsss... there's a problem with that cab'"  :?   :o  :o  :o

Yes... that *wondorfull* Space Ace '91 conversion/custom cab'

okey, the problem is here ... in the neon marquee...

Just a bad wiring... bad color for the ground wire... now fixed  :)

...very very very easy fix for them ;-) Anyway, ENJOY Space Ace on that big screen :

Various pictures taken in that unique DRAGON'S LAIR place  :P  :P  :P

... and still Justine working on board... amazing !!!

It's time for me to leave that *amazing* place, and leave also such great guys. You were all very kind, and it was a real pleasure to meet you -at least-, and speak with all of you. Too bad I've missed others collectors because I've to leave before the end. A special thanks to Jason for beeing so kind, for the perfect organization of that even... you do it right my friend ! There's no other place like that in the world, and you can be really proud to share ALL of your treasors with every Dragon's Lair fans around here   :)  Now, I'm sure that the Dragon's still alive... in UK !!!

Arghhh I can't wait the Euro DL Meeting '07 next year  8)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:10:58 PM by DarthNuno »

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »
Wow!  Looks like everyone had a great time!!!  :)   I sure hate it that I couldn't be there.. Maybe some day....   I hope everyone picked up their junk food mess in the lair!!   :D

arcadefever

• View Profile
    • http://www.arcadefever.net
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 06:40:30 PM »
wowwwwww that is so great... i love all this pictures !!! great stuff ....
it was a pleasure to read all the posts...

maybe one day i will be able to go  :wink:

leeram

• View Profile
    • Eckychap
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 12:18:37 AM »
Thanks to everyone who went, I had a brilliant time.

Basically Steve and I (I'm the fat one) spent 13 hours straight playing DL and DL2.

We both completed it but as it happens Steve one manned it, so every time I meet him from now on I will have my nose rubbed in it!

Justin managed to spend probably the same amount of time testing boards, and the other technical people fixed just about everything in sight, including my PSP! There was no stopping them.

Thanks to Finny for everything

And one last thing; Darren, it's SWORD LEFT SWORD LEFT SWORD LEFT SWORD. Anything else is just babble and pretense!

And let's not ever forget, Darren and Ste, you only finished the game because you begged me to tell you the moves because you both used nearly all your men trying to work it out, so the victory is all mine! I just wanted to put this one man finish business into perspective!! ;-)   {to be continued no doubt at Euromeet 2007! :-) }

Cheers

Lee
My Ramcade Blog ¦  My Personal Blog
E-mail: leeram@leeram.com  Twitter: @Leeram