Author Topic: [Roadtrip] Chase for defender  (Read 22237 times)

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
[Roadtrip] Chase for defender
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
Even if i'm not posting a lot, i've been following this forum for a long time (even if i only registered recently). I always love to read all those reports of members roadtrips,
 bringing back home all those gems in their sched, and bringing them back to life. So i was waiting for my time to come :-)

Recently i noticed that another member ,gyruss to name him, was selling his mint chase hq cab in the business area. this game has always been attached to many memories in my life.
I remembered playing the arcade version at the playground or playing the console conversion on mastersytem and commodore 64.

After reading the announce, i quickly checked on google maps how far the cab was. Only 2hours drive from my place ! PERFECT for a first road trip, decision was then taken :)

While sourcing for a van, my old good friend devpsx succeeded to put his hand on one of his dream cabs : "Defender" (thanks to ckong). The seller was only 1 hours drive from
gyruss's house. So i proposed devpsx to pickup his defender cab and host it until his next visit to belgium (he's from paris, the RT would have been 1200km for him). So the
road trip ended into a combo RT :)

So here's the map : about 500km, 2 countries : Belgium & Holland.

My pal Fr4nz is my co-pilot, and the official photograph of this RT. First step, picking the van in liège guillemins.

Loading all the blanckets spirofoam , food , drinks and then off we go ! it's 9:30 am next step, is Strijen where i need to meet hans for the Defender cab.

Arrival time will be, 11h41 , i'm driving carefully as it's the first time i drive a van. I was pretty concentrated (and boring driver according to my copilot ^^) , so i can admire the landscape in holland:

nice , clean , green and flat , really really flat :)

Before arriving to Hans's house, we needed to use the KiltTunnel http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiltunnel with a name like that, i prefer not to see what's under  ;D (btw 5 euros the toll, what a scam!).

Finaly, we arrived at hans's house before noon, a pretty rural place, was pretty surprised to find cabs here :) The cab is in the wooden storage.

And here's devpsx's dreams cab.

The cab is in really good shape, except for the bottom part which need some work. Appart from that, the sides are great. Hans told us that he was exploiting pinballs, cabs before retiring. This cab is his last one and was happy to sell it as he can now demolish that wooden storage.

Time to leave now and pick MY cab :D Let's go to Hilversum and meet Gyruss. During the trip there , i can not stop humming chase hq music ! And in the end my eyes started to see the road like this

Nancy we got the suspect in our sight !!

The lamborghini guy got lucky , my van was not fast enought even with 2 turbos left ;D ;D

Arriving time in Hilversum is 13:37, W00t and leet :) Unfortunatly, the city was full of one way roads and the street proposed by the gps is in work :s so we lost about 30mins turning arround the city. Gyruss was kindly waiting after us at the entry of his street and guided us to his house.

Once we get out of the car, Fr4nz found a 10euros note on the ground ! lucky guy, but generously, he gave it to me . Lunch is my treat mate ! :)

The cab is in gyruss apparement, in the building in the background. We needed to park the van there as the road is too narrow. Hopefully the cab is on wheels  :)

Once at gyruss flat, we had a small chitchat about arcades and he showed us his "Taito station" game room. Pacman & mspacman cabs, damn i'm jealous , and his new Operation Wolf cab is huge !! Unfortunalty Gyruss need to go back to work. the discussion was too short, that'll be for next time ;)

cabs are loaded.

Gyruss kindly offered me a taito ash tray, thanks !! I don't smoke but it's a nice coins holder in a game room.

Back to belgium now, we begin to be hungry, and decided to stop at the first restaurant on the highway. And it's a .... BURGER KING !

The best way to spend the 10e found in Hilversum ^^ Whopper menu for Fr4nz and a Barbecue Grilled Chicken & bacon menu for me... mmmh fattening & tasty.

On the road again, it was boring, lots of traffic jam near maastricht, we arrived at about 5:30 pm. Time to unload the cabs in my basement.

And the cabs are joining my others :) The defender one gonna wait there until his new owner comes to pick it up.

In the end, it was a great day and nice first RT, my special thanks goes to Gyruss & Fr4nz . Until next time ;);)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:51:15 PM by kroustibat »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] Chase for defender
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
wow! thanks for the story!!! great to see new faces!!!!!!
Man, some day i will own a with it´s original guts!! - no here!!!  :spaceace:

and WOW, i looooove fast cars and of course loooove this pic!!!!:

Lambogini murcielago if i´m not mistaking...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:06:18 PM by Muerto »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
Congratulation! Chase HQ is an awesome game... I used to play it on the arcades, but also on my CPC and later on Amiga  :-*

...and Defender rocks  :-* , mamed or not (my cab is 'perfectly Advance Mamed' and no one would see the difference by the way  ;)) ... this games is one of the hardest one I have  ;)

Of course, a nice banner for your first RT here, thanks for sharing this story with us  :-*  :arrow:

:spaceace:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:37:09 PM »
Nice trip and great cabs! ;D
Congrats Pascal! ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:41:03 PM »
What, so that Defender was almost "around the corner" from my place !?!?! ;)

By the way, you do not HAVE to use the KIL-TUNNEL (No T after KIL) you can also drive around and use the Heinenoordtunnel, but depending on what place you had to pick up the Defender that could cost you more in gas...

Anyway, great catch. This balances a bit all the machines we brought from Belgium to Holland :)

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »
thanks all for your kinds words. I'm really enjoying my time here

Of course, a nice banner for your first RT here, thanks for sharing this story with us  :-*  :arrow:

Thanks for the banner  ! ilove it , i think this is my biggest english post ever in a forum ;D

What, so that Defender was almost "around the corner" from my place !?!?! ;)

By the way, you do not HAVE to use the KIL-TUNNEL (No T after KIL) you can also drive around and use the Heinenoordtunnel, but depending on what place you had to pick up the Defender that could cost you more in gas...

Anyway, great catch. This balances a bit all the machines we brought from Belgium to Holland :)

thanks :):) my bad i red "kilt" tunnel and not kiltunnel (even in the url i posted), maybe i really wanted to see what's under ^_^
i followed the gps. While preparing the RT, google maps told me the existence of the tol, it was not a surprise at all.

and WOW, i looooove fast cars and of course loooove this pic!!!!:

Lambogini murcielago if i´m not mistaking..

the car was driving too fast, we ate his smoke  :D, fr4nz hardly got the time to photograph it. Luckily i saw it coming

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:54:42 AM »
great first roadtrip, pascal! thx for sharing this with us. gotta love that picture :arrow:

looks totally idyllic - noone would have thought that there were going to be arcade games in that wooden shed. btw, you should have taken that huge sign behind the defender with you. is that an arcade cab pictured on it?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

devpsx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »
Thanks *A LOT* Krb & Fr4nz !  ;D ;D ;D

Dev

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
Ah, so it was Strijen. My brother-in-law lives there !  Yeah pretty nice area. Shame that this was Hans' last cab ! :S

Hilversum is a nightmare to drive in ! It's a pretty big town (it's the broadcasting "headquarters" of The Netherlands) but also still town- (not city) like.....
I am there very often for work and sometimes it takes almost 20 minutes just to leave the place.....

If you have an empty defender, I'd always opt for the Multi-Williams board. No emulation and very reliable and easy to install....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:15:51 AM by Level42 »

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
Cool story, I love the edited photo with the Lamborghini.  :D
Glad you are enjoying the game, and Hilversum is indeed you nightmare to access by car >:(

kroustibat

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Pascal-O-Rama
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 06:42:14 PM »
looks totally idyllic - noone would have thought that there were going to be arcade games in that wooden shed. btw, you should have taken that huge sign behind the defender with you. is that an arcade cab pictured on it?

Hans gave us the sign, but we declined, i don't like it much, and there's way to much mess in my basement already ^^

Hilversum is a nightmare to drive in ! It's a pretty big town (it's the broadcasting "headquarters" of The Netherlands) but also still town- (not city) like.....I am there very often for work and sometimes it takes almost 20 minutes just to leave the place.....

i second that ! the town is really nice , but the road are really too narrow, i needed to slalom between the 2 bikes paths for avoiding bikers in both way.

If you have an empty defender, I'd always opt for the Multi-Williams board. No emulation and very reliable and easy to install....

the pcbs are there, the cab was marketed as non working. Still i didn't turn it on, as the dutch ground plug is not the same than here.
For the restoration, it's up to devpsx decision.

Cool story, I love the edited photo with the Lamborghini.  :D
Glad you are enjoying the game, and Hilversum is indeed you nightmare to access by car >:(

Thanks again gyruss ;) got a great time there

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
a shame we didn't get the chance to play a couple of games.  ::) and your space is indeed huge, so I guess you have a lot of road trips to make in the future.  ;)

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
Nice roadtrip man, i am jealous of your new machine  ;)
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"