Author Topic: My first project... scratch build Dig Dug  (Read 17951 times)

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
Re: My first project... scratch build Dig Dug
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
I wouldn't put any money on that Muerto :-) I know people who should have a restraining order for any tool at all...
LOOKING FOR: a license to print money.....

And a Pacman. And a Donkey Kong.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »
... I know, the 60-in-1 it isn't the real thing but IMHO more in the direction of the real deal then a Mameified cab. Sure, having all my dedicated dreamcabs would be great, but I do share this house with my wife... And as long as my budget doesn't even come close to the dreamhouse I guess I'll have to live with it. ;)

Just an advise :

The emulation of the games via the 48in1 board is not accurate at all for most of the games emulated : not the same refresh rate for some games, not the native resolution, incorrect ratio picture, bad sounds (pitch of the sounds is not correct), ‘title’ screens are not correct (some copyright are missing). This board is fun for someone who wants to just play the games for time to time, without looking for a 1:1 emulation, but not for someone who is looking for an accurate emulation on one specific game.

Nothing can't beat the original board/hardware for sure  8) ...but, as a second choice, nothing can't beat an advance mame set up, perfectly 'fine tuned' for one dedicated game, for a 1:1 result  ;)

Good luck on your project  :-*

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »
Nothing can't beat the original board/hardware for sure  8) ...but, as a second choice, nothing can't beat an advance mame set up, perfectly 'fine tuned' for one dedicated game, for a 1:1 result  ;)

+100  :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Goodmorning all,

Well, I do know that it isn't an exact replica, so I can live with refresh rates being off. From what I have seen the 60-in-1 would be perfect for my use, and even if the sounds are pitched in the wrong way(are they? Really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lIap6kCmjE), it can never be as bad as my original Namco 5-in-1 TV game. Next to that,by using this 60-in-1 and JAMMA harness it is easier to convert it to original boards in the future from my perspective.  

But I think, and I guess that you all agree, the most important part of this hobby is having good times playing games of the golden era with friends and/or relatives, especially when you have such a great room as Bruno does!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:33:13 AM by Brry71 »

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »
Using a 60 in 1 is not a bad deal at this stage of the project: maybe when everithing will be in the right place and the cabinet completed, you will "feel the need" to change your PCB ;) ... it's only a time business  :D
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
It's been a long time... But it is ready for now, still need to hook up the coinmechanisms and find some decent coininserts but that should be it then...

Now, first things first... :oops: :oops: :oops: I did not make a lot of pictures (2...) of the build it self, but I think the result looks pretty okay...

- Sides covered with white pvc
- Cut out al the side art because the printer did not printed it with the edges as said by me...
- Powered by switched power supply
- Fully Jamma, so I can change the 60-1 for original PCB's (with convertor)
- Temporary VGA screen... (yeah I know...)

Anyway see for your self and let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:35:06 PM by Brry71 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 05:38:03 PM »
i think it looks great so far, but isn't the monitor too small? too bad you didn't take any more pics during the build!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »
Well, it could be a bit bigger indeed! As said earlier, this is just a temporary solution. Had some trouble with the scart input on the Tv which gave sync errors, to bad it wasn't my soldering but some kind of defect on the TV. So I have to find another TV set for v1.1. Even better a real arcade monitor but unfortunately the arcade monitor deal came at the wrong time. Vacation...  ;)

Will keep you posted when the enhancements have been carried out. It will probably happen somewhere next year, first got another project... The restauration of my Tehkan Pleiads cocktail, I will try to make this a documentary photo story....

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
i guess thats level 42's old table ?

your build is looking great by the way

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »
Yup !

Great work. I do hope the LCD is only temporary ? :) Plenty of great used TV's to use instead...

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 11:29:56 PM »
As L42 said, yep it's his old table! Gonna make that baby a new born again!

Yes, the LCD is only temporary so no worries. I just wanted to have it playable for the winter and after struggling with the TV I had planned for it for quite some time I took an old LCD to at least have sort of the feeling again. When I have some spare time I will change it for a TV, plenty to find...

@Etienne: Thanks for the compliment, I think it turned out pretty good for a first one. There are a few minor points, but they are hardly noticeable for other then myself. Especially the routing for the t-molding was something which could be done better, luckily the t-molding is hiding it ;)

Chrs,
Barry

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »
Very good job Barry  :)
As already said, I would swap that LCD against a CRT TV or monitor (so easy to found very cheap in second hand shop). But it's already playable & 'enjoyable' as is ...for the winter  ;) Have a lot of fun with it  :)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
Very good job Barry  :)
As already said, I would swap that LCD against a CRT TV or monitor (so easy to found very cheap in second hand shop). But it's already playable & 'enjoyable' as is ...for the winter  ;) Have a lot of fun with it  :)

+1  :spaceace:

Yes Barry good job and nice cab  :-* :-*

Congrats and now enjoy it !!!
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
Enjoy your nice looking cabinet man!
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Brry71

• View Profile
    • The other side of me
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 04:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the positive replies!!! This really ecourages project 3....

@ Screen, how is the Gyruss going?