Author Topic: [Roadtrip] Crazy Heavenly Bodies on a Collision Course  (Read 21806 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Roadtrip] Crazy Heavenly Bodies on a Collision Course
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

it's been a bad year so far when it comes to my car: first i had to pay 500 euros to get my car through the technical inspection, after that the engine blew which cost me another 1k and two days after i got it back last week the gear shift refused to work - another 150 euros for a piece of plastic :'(. damn, i know why i hate cars!  :evil:

"why is he telling me all of that", you might be thinking? well, first of all this ain't the end of the story and second i rewarded myself with something real nice for all that trouble i had to go through  :)

a couple of weeks ago, a member from a german arcade forum offered a cabinet which i had never seen before in germany, something extremely rare and absolutely beautiful. and in case you haven't been able to figure out which game i'm talking about from my mysterious thread title, i don't want to keep you in suspense any longer: gottlieb's MAD PLANETS in the ultrarare german cabinet version!!! of course, this was an opportunity i couldn't pass up on, so we struck a deal.

the seller is located in the very northern part of germany, but i was lucky that he had an appointmet pretty close to my hometown and he kindly agreed to bring the cab along for the ride. so here's what's coming up  :arrow:

after all that horrible weather over the past few weeks, today we had clear skies and nice temperatures - a perfect day for a roadtrip!

roughly 150 kilometers one-way is something i'm not quite used to ;) and time seems to fly by - i'm almost there already!

i'm almost "shocked" when that truck suddenly appears in front of me: that logo reminds me of the mad planets sidearts with its colors and triangles. somehow i've got the feeling that the spaceship is not far away  8)

Planets  :arrow: - this way  ;)

after an otherwise unspectacular ride, i'm "crossing into nuremberg"

i H-A-T-E big cities

here's my car at the "rendezvous point"

anyone need neon lights for his gameroom?

our timing is perfect, we almost arrive at the same time at the location and the seller - his name is toralf - has something beautiful in the back of his car

this must be one of the smallest cabs out there - look at the size of that thing compared to me (i'm 1,80).
and - on a side note - i've gained a looot of weight again. f***!!! btw, mad planet's color scheme perfectly matches the berzerk cabinet, those games will look kickass next to each other!  :spaceace:

as i've said before, toralf had another appointment and here's what he came for  :arrow:

another shot of the mad planet right before loading it up

have a look at that control panel ...

great condition and everything in german - never seen that before!

time to say goodbye to nuremberg - VICTORY IS MINE  ;D

and here's how it always ends:

one country, two counties, 303 kilometers, 5 hours 9 minutes on the road - this roadtrip is OFFICIALLY OVER! 

well, not quite, because i started this roadtrip report with the words "this ain't the end of the story", remember? well, in isn't, because when i arrived back home i realized that one of the huge shock absorber springs on my car broke - at least another 200 euros, AT LEAST :(! perhaps i should stop buying cabs and invest the money in a more realiable car ...

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: [Roadtrip] Crazy Heavenly Bodies on a Collision Course
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »

WOOOOOOOWWWW  !!! I LOVE IT !!!!!

Especially because I'm a big Kraftwerk fan and this of course this is the title of one of there best songs ever !!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcciF3Kh9A&feature=related ( und natürlich auf Deutsch und nicht die Englische Version !)

The shop looks empty, why not disassemble it ;)

Brilliant little cab ! And in great condition !
I always love to see a Euro version of a game. Somehow they are just a little more special than the "regular" US versions !

Congrats. And I'd buy a more reliable (a bit newer) car. Maybe Japanese. If I'd have to buy used cars it would be Jap. Low maintenance costs.....still, your Astra have seemed to hold up quite well after so many km's......
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:07:03 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
The shop looks empty, why not disassemble it ;)

that shop WAS deserted, noone in there, just old dusty wooden stuff lying around! i bet that neon sign is up for grabs ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
DAMN !

Am I wrong, or is it still powered up ? EDIT looked again, it's definitely still powered up.

If it was a bit closer, I'd put on some workman's suite, put a ladder there and started removing. I bet no-one would ask questions with an empty shop.....

The best part is that Dutch for Neon light is.....also Neon licht, just like in German :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:29:11 PM by Level42 »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 12:01:16 AM »
"Näherkommende Planeten"                "Angreifende Planeten"

Those are phrases that one doesn't see often, or never, in the arcade world..... Fortunately  :D  Makes it unique though.

But you really scored a very nice game there, looks almost mint, not restored I suppose. You lucky ....  ;)

And you may hate cars, but you need them, for road trips. Have fun with the game. And please post lots of pics of the internals, I would like to know how it looks.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »
Look it can't be that hard really:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I guess some people would call it stealing, but I'd call it rescuing !

Sorry for derailing this thread !

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »
Great story ully , exept for your car  :-\

Congrats with this beauty

ps when are we going to remove that sign ?, im in ! hahahaha :lol:

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »
great story Ully, that cab is damn MINT looking!

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Very nice cabinet, but in too much good conditions  :wink:! We will not assist to a "Superully From Trash To Life Cabinet Restoration" this time  :'( ;D
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:50:06 PM »
If it was a bit closer, I'd put on some workman's suite, put a ladder there and started removing. I bet no-one would ask questions with an empty shop.....

if you're really interested, i could make some calls and ask around. and when you're coming over, we'll go on a roadtrip and take down that sign! of course, we'd need those stickers for my car first  ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
Well, why not ! :D Nothing to loose ! And we'll make it a nice weekend anyway ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
Superully strikes back!!!  :arrow:

You're really a Mad Man !!! MAD PLANETS  :shock: :-* :-* :-* I'm [CENSURED] jealous  :P
Rav' has the US version, and each time I'm at his place, I'm asking for buying this game... and of course he didn't want!  :twisted:

I've never played this game on the dedicated cab' (only mame), but the cabinet is so gorgeous and it really says : "Please, play me... see how I'm pretty!"  :-* And ... your German cabinet is as sexy as the US one!
And 'ya know what? More and more I would like to own European cabinet version of the games we love... 'coz it's a part of our 'heritage'... and this cabinet is the perfect example! CONGRATULATION, I'm officially jealous now   :P

Fantastic cabinet, great (but too short for you) road trip, many thanks for sharing this story with us, Madully !  ;D

:spaceace:

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
Awesome cab Ully, great conditions  :-* :-*

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Congratulations! It is a rare thing to find a game in that great condition!  :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »

thx, guys, i'm extremely happy with that catch. while the cabinet looks to be in almost mint condition, it does have its scratches and wood damages. unfortunately the seller dropped the cab on its back corner when he wanted to load it into his cab, so the lower right back corner is broken off. of course, those flaws will have to be fixed ;)! nevertheless, this is probably the cab with the best original condition i have!

and i forgot to mention: the cab came with an original mad planets poster as a bonus - always good to have stuff like that.