Author Topic: 220V > 110V internal transformers - group buy?  (Read 3590 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
220V > 110V internal transformers - group buy?
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
I am going to buy some 220V > 110V transformers to put inside some of my cabs (galaga, pac-man, etc.). I got a pretty good quote from a Dutch supplier, and now André  ;) thought some of you might also be interested.

So here is the deal:

Transformer
Primair: 220V 50/60 Hz
Secundair: 110V
Power: 180 VA (which is more than enough for a normal upright cab)
Weight: appr. 1.5 kg
Delivery time: 3-6 weeks from the day that I place the order
Price: €30 if I order more than 10 pieces; €32,50 if I order up to 10 pieces.

Picture: http://doesburg-bv.com/uploads/images/pdf/DRIE-maatv.%20stuurst.tr.%20vrd-2006.pdf

As the factory is close to my hometown I can pick them up myself. But you will of course have extra shipping costs:

For most European countries: please check shipping costs overview here: http://www.tntpost.nl/voorthuis/pakketten/via-postkantoor/pakket-buitenland/internationaal-pakket-plus-europa/index.aspx

For The Netherlands: €6,75 (up to 10kg).

I want to place my order next Wednesday, so if anyone wants some of them, please let me know before 7 april. I will need payment upfront.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: 220V > 110V internal transformers - group buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
We have to be totally honest here:

These transformers are of the "autotransformer" type, which means that it has one coil. The 110V is tapped half-way the coil. This is a clever solution as it will gain you half of the input voltage, while you only need one coil, and thus reducing costs.

PLEASE NOTE THAT _ALL_ COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE CONVERTERS ARE CONSTRUCTED THIS WAY !!!!

It's not bad, but there is one small but:

In the _extremely_ unlikely event that the transformer fails internally, you COULD get the full input voltage on your output.
The chance of winning the lottery is probably higher, but I still would like to mention it. Transformers VERY rarely fail and mostly because they've been run on MORE than their specced load. (Getting very hot).

The alternative is a much more expensive "traditional" transformer with two coils which totally separates the two circuits, but as mentioned, these are quite some more expensive.

Again, the Minwah's that were mentioned before on another thread are constructed in the same way (single coil) so these have the same risk. If you feel that a Chinese brand might show up a problem like that sooner than a Dutch professional quality product is entirely up to you ;)

A second consideration: one of the leads of the input voltage is directly conneted to the output. In countries where you cannot reverse a mains connector, that's not a big deal because you can set-it up so that it will connect the 0 wire instead of the phase (the one that holds the voltage). However, in Europe we can reverse the mains plugs at will. This is STILL no problem IF double-pole switches are used. However, since we got a load of US built machines I think there's a chance that they used single pole switches. The result could be that there is still 230 V potential on your machine if you turn it off.

Again, nothing major here, but something to at least think about when installing them.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the update André  :)

You installed one in your ms. pac-man cab last saturday. Is it double pole, or single pole?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »

You installed one in your ms. pac-man cab last saturday. Is it double pole, or single pole?
Actually, that's a good question. I _think_ it's double but I'll have to check (measure) to be sure. Will do tonight.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
double pole switches are the way to go if you ask me
that totally disconnects the powersource

anyway, a good advice for everybody that work on cabs is,  to unplug it if you dont need the power there for the work you are doing on it

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
hey erik, have you bought those transformers? i'm currently looking for some stepdown converters as well, but i'm not happy with the items. most of them are stupid china crap PLUS i have yet to find a model which can be screwed inside a cabinet. they are all "black blocks" which can't be fixed inside. the model you've shown and the one that andré used on his ms pac is much better, because it can easily be attached to the bottom of the cab!

the one i'm running inside my gauntlet is another fine example of what i'm looking for! so bring on those stepdown converters, guys ... ;D

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:22:52 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »

Actually, that's a good question. I _think_ it's double but I'll have to check (measure) to be sure. Will do tonight.

With a bit delay: Ms.Pac has a single pole power switch. However, the interlock (door) switch is double pole. So in theory you'll never have any mains further "upstream" when you open the cab...
Unless you pull it out of course (or unless it has been bypassed in any way). Etienne's advice is bet: when you're going to work on the mains section inside the cab, unplug.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:54:57 PM »
hey erik, have you bought those transformers?

No, I haven't, yet. I might still buy some in the near future, but at the moment I don't need them.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:31:09 AM »
I don't either, but I'd still take 1 or 2 now.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
... a 200VA here costs around 450DKK, so i asked my kid brother if his company had something laying around.... heheeeee:

2000VA custom build transformer for free  :spaceace:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »
I just stumbled over this today ..

http://www.jasperstransformatoren.nl/

A manufacturer in holland of transformators, maybe this is what you guy's are looking for ?