Author Topic: [Roadtrip] Two to Tango (Ms Pac-Man & Galaga)  (Read 17698 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
[Roadtrip] Two to Tango (Ms Pac-Man & Galaga)
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »

when i saw those pac-man rows for the first time, this was my reaction :arrow: :shock: :o :shock:

fortunately, we managed to group together and thx to erik got a great price on those arcade classics which are almost impossible to find in europe! after having to postpone my trip for a week due to horrible weather conditions the time had finally come to pick up two games from my must-have list. here's what's coming up  :arrow:

rise and shine on a saturday  :(

first thing to do: check out the weather conditions! everything's looking good this time  :)

so let's get going, but don't forget the statistics:

another long day on the road lies ahead of me

half an hour into the trip, the first traffic jam  :evil:

but this is what the roads (and the weather) look like most of the time: dull, dull, dull

because i'm planning on bringing home more games than one, my car alone won't suffice this time. that's why my first stop is right here  :arrow:

have a look at all those trailers

because i need one which i can drop off close to my home, i have to go with a one-way trailer

in the middle of nowhere

but i'm not lost, because mr potato is showing me the way. wouldn't he make a wonderful husband for ms pac-man?  ;)

after 4 1/2 hours on the road - this is it: paul's 50's. unspectacular on the outside

ring the bell

spectacular on the inside: paul's giant showtruck

a view from the top reveals the two cabs i came for: ms pac-man and galaga. to the left michael's "armada of games" can be seen already wrapped up and ready to be shipped to denmark!

we've already seen paul's incredible pinball collection in his showroom, but in a closed off part of the warehouse, paul is keeping some very old pinball games

here i discover something which you don't see every day: taito's ice cold beer  :-*

but i have no time to waste, because the games need to be loaded, so let's get this started! i'm not very good at driving backwards with a trailer attached, so paul kindly takes over. that's what i call service  ;D

appearing on the stage first: galaga :spaceace:

because it's not polite to just stand around and take pictures while others do the loading job for me, i put down my camera to lend them a hand. here we after the loading process  :arrow:

"such a big trailer and just two games inside", you might be thinking. the reason why i picked that size was simple: just 45 minutes from paul's place one can find stefan's world of arcade. after promising me pictures of all his latest additions for more than 4 months now, after having my visit to his place cancelled at least 15 times (often last minute cancellations), he finally agreed to meet me!

i don't want to go into details about what happened at stefan's place, but let me just say this: i'm done with stefan and his promises! D-U-N-N-N!!! michael had a nice variation on stefan's business "world of arcade", he called it "world of lies". enough said!

so after a detour of about 2 hours (total waste of time) i'm heading back home where i arrive safe and sound!

one country, five counties, 937 kilometers, 12 hours 25 minutes on the road - this roadtrip is OFFICIALLY OVER!

the next day, a first look at my latest aquisitions

contrary to what the famous saying "it takes two to tango" suggests, ms pac-man and mr galaga do well together, so let's tango :-*

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:16:27 PM by DarthNuno »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] Two to Tango (Ms Pac-Man & Galaga)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
Great report - as always ully!
Some day i have to see Paul50´s warehouse, that is some nice pictures!!!
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »
Wow your Ms. looks a lot better than mine. Are you actually planning on re-doing the artwork ? I think I might accept it just like that from the pictures....

What's that other machine you picked up ?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Congrats !!!

P.S. Sorry to hear about Stefan. Done and over.

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »
Great story! The Ms Pacman cab looks very nice.
Nice to see they are eating their way throughout Europe  :pac: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »
Wow your Ms. looks a lot better than mine. Are you actually planning on re-doing the artwork ? I think I might accept it just like that from the pictures....

puh, that's a tough question and it's going to be a hard call. to be honest, i'm not sure yet what to do and there are some other games which i want to restore first. perhaps i'm only going to do some touchups, but i don't like that extra slot they installed on the front, so i'm at least going to repaint the front (probably), because the very bottom of it doesn't look too good. as i've said: not sure yet and it's going to be a while before i make my decision!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
Well, it certainly looks good enough to keep it like that. If you ever do decide to change your mind, swap it with mine ;) ;) ;)

Great story again, thanks !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »

man, i just realized i forgot to post one of the funniest pictures from yesterday's trip. i was so happy when i spotted that van because it fit my roadtrip perfectly.

anyway, in case you can't afford buying a cab from the pac-man family, why not just lease one? contact details can be found right here :arrow:

btw, i now own pac-man, ms pac-man and pac-mania. the only missing pac-game i REALLY STILL WANT is pac-land?

ANYONE???  :-*

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »
Congratulations Ully !!!

great roadtrip and two awesome cabs in nice conditions  :-* :-* :-*
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
Great story ully !

and as always well documented  ;D

i dont want to continue the story of world of arcade, but it did not surprise me to read that it didnt work out...

the cabs look (in the picture) in very good shape!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
...and one more happy 'MS / GLG" owner in Europe, congratulation  :)

By the way, who'll be the next one  ::) ;)

Regarding these trailers  :arrow:

Two years ago I had to idea to rent a similar trailer, but according the trailer rental I need a special driving license for big trailer like that (equipped with brakes If I remember well).... and I don't have a special driving license : only car (...and all bikes  8) ). Do you have this special 'license for trailer' ?

Otherwise, great road trip... like always  :) Thanks for posting it  :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Over here I'm not allowed to drive a double axle trailer either. I only have a "B" license. Only 2 years before I did my exam (I was 18) everyone who did the exam for B automatically got E as well, and E means you _are_ allowed to drive with a heavy trailer (or double axle) like f.i. a caravan.

Now you would have to do an extra exam to get E "behind" your B......but that means doing a complete modern day exam.

With B only we are only allowed small (one axle) trailers that have strict weight limits.

I am quite good with a double axle trailer mind you.........and well, let's say I know by experience  ;) ;) ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
Nice story ully, and your cabs look very pretty next to each other.

I don't want to drag on about this, but Stefan is definitely over and out. What a bummer to realize that, isn't it?   :( Fortunately you did meet Paul today, who is a very nice and decent guy.

Have fun with the games. Did you try them on already? I believe Paul said that all Galaga's are not working, and he is right about mine. But that could be only an issue of replacing a fuse.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:39:30 AM »
thx for the nice comments, guys! i haven't tried the games, because i don't have a step-down converter yet and it's still too cold to turn them on. this will have to be postponed to a later time.

regarding driving with a trailer: my german driving license covers those types of trailers (at least that's what i was told ;))!

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »
Congrats Ully! I'm wondering if they are also working, big change they do, just buy new fuses and check the interlockswitch.

Laschek

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »
Nice score! And meeting that Pac-truck on a Pac-trip is just pactastic  ;D