Author Topic: Galaxian 3 for PlayStation  (Read 44423 times)

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
Galaxian 3 for PlayStation
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »
I have FINALLY bought this game for PS1. It's the Japanese version because it's native 60hz and it's dirt cheap too :)

One word: WOW! :o

This game is really cool, everything just seems right, the intro, music, sounds,.... You can see it's the original LaserDiscs that are converted to PS1, the seam between the two projectors is still there! The only downside is I don't have the official PS1 analog joystick, so I have to play with either the D-pad or mouse :(.

I played it a bit on my Panasonic lcd projector with a big screen like it should be! 8)

Now I really can't wait to experience the real game!!

I made a small video with my ixus i5 camera, so the video quality isn't that great :arrow:

Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Galaxian 3 for PlayStation
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
Argg... this video is set as 'private' on your youtube panel, change it to 'public'  ;)

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
Argg... this video is set as 'private' on your youtube panel, change it to 'public'  ;)

Oops :oops:, fixed now.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »
Yeah! Project Dragoon is my favorite mission!  :-*
I can't wait to play it inside the real thing  ;)

Happy to see you trying this awesome game/experience  :)

:spaceace:

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
I really like the Japanese voices. I don't know what they're saying but it sounds just right with this game, the 'feeling' is there :).

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »
I just noticed this, in the video it's like I'm playing on a tv set. In reality the projected image is 2 meters wide 8).

Equites

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »
Cool - I've got Galaxian3 PAL version with english dialogue and JPN version, I have to admit to prefer the PAL version although the JPN version is more authentic I guess. Im playing it on my PSX too with 42" Plasma and full blown 5.1 experience with REL subwoofer. Im lucky enough to have bought a PSX Analogue stick back then and still have it!

I have just got my pride and joy, a Starblade cab (Yellow Seat version). It needs a little work but I am going to restore it no expense spared.

Now my plan is to find another Starblade cab, I would prefer non-yellow seat version this time though, my plan is to turn it into a Galaxian3 cab. Thanks to the work done by Bruno we should have Galaxian3 emulated soon.

Although the PSX version is great, its just a shame that it is by todays standards quite low resolution. The emulated version will look so much better.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:57:46 PM by Equites »

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »
Quite some time ago I was told (on this forum) that the PAL version wasn't as good because it's converted from 30fps to 25fps (to conform to PAL specs), so there are frames dropped whichcause stuttering. Which is the main reason I got the Japanese version, no editing to the video.

You're right about the resolution, but back in the day it was the best we could get out of the PS1... The best experience will of course be the original LD's.

Zeether

• Roger, out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »
I tried the EU version on ePSXe and it is indeed slow. It was nice hearing the English voices, especially in Gourb (the commander sounds so stern) but the dropped frames made it quite choppy.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »
Equites, what a beautiful Starblade you've got there. To my knowledge there are three types of cabinets: your yellow seat one in these pictures, then the fully decorated silver-metallic type with larger seat base and more lamps, also this had different side-art if I remember correctly plus its mirror bezel was more detailed, then the third type which seems to be a mix between your yellow seat type and the silver-metallic type. The one I had was this mix. It had the same mirror frame bezel as yours but the seat module was the larger one with the wooden seat. My Starblade was made in the USA but I bought it from JNC I think, it was one of the Blackpool ones I think I was told.

It's so nice to see this game gaining popularity lately, together with Galaxian3. They are kind of the same game but with somewhat different feel. Personally, if I must choose I would pick Starblade over Galaxian3, mainly because of the more comfortable and a little more extravagant concept. Ofcourse Galaxian3 is bigger, clearly giving a stronger impression at first sight. But then you need to look at the details like a/ the gunfire: Starblade has two very powerful lasers (unlike the Galaxian3's single laser, reminding me of a pointing stick rather than a deadly weapon) firing with a low frequency sound besides the obvious 'swooshing' sound. To really experience this you need to turn up the rear speaker volume so that you can *feel* the lasers firing (my SB had the rear speakers built into the seat). Then b/ Starblade has all realtime rendered CG which has the advantage of being more flexible giving the player several variable routes from round to round. If you know you Starblade you will notice this. Which is why Starblade, given the fact that it is a shooting gallery, however all but a simple shooting gallery, has the potential to outlast Galaxian3 in the longer run of fun gameplay. Not to mention its image projection consisting of the concave mirror making it a mini-3D holocinema, or like the IMAX display sort of. The Galaxian3, largely is just a multiplayer laser-disc shooter not much different than the old laser games like Galaxy Ranger and Astron Belt. However more like a laser disc game with a Starblade CG-layer ontop, which is really some of the coolest thing imaginable to be honest.

I've not played Galaxian3 much at all, just briefly watched someone play when I was in Paris a few years ago. Does somebody know if the routes are exactly same every time in Galaxian3? Or if the routes vary from round to round, altghough slightly? This is actually the only detail I'd really like to get confirmed regarding Galaxian3.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:55:27 PM by uncletom »

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »
Oh, and one other thing, regarding the Playstation version of Starblade and Galaxian3; Although they look super on screenshots for the magazines, these run in 25 or 30 fps, don't they? I remember wanting the Starblade for the PSX when that came, but as I learned that it wasn't running in 60fps I lost interest. The thing about Starblade, and infact all fast moving/panning games is the smooth movement. At least that was what turned me on when I first saw Starblade at Trocadero Funland sometime in '92 och 93.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »
Oh, and yet another thing which is kind of funny. Did you ever wonder how Starblade can output four individual speaker sound when the hardware only has two channels?

Think about this. It is very innovative actually.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
First of all, welcome to this board UncleTom (coming from USA I presume  ::))

Cool, an other die-hard fan of StarBlade / Galaxan3  :-*

I've not played Galaxian3 much at all, just briefly watched someone play when I was in Paris a few years ago. Does somebody know if the routes are exactly same every time in Galaxian3? Or if the routes vary from round to round, altghough slightly? This is actually the only detail I'd really like to get confirmed regarding Galaxian3.

In the mission 'Project Dragoon', the route is always the same... because the background is directly coming from the laser disk, and it's not real time rendered.
Maybe the enemies may have different patterns, but I really doubt it! I didn't play Galaxian3 recently... but I'm almost sure there's no change at all.
Only 'Zolgear' can let you choose some path...

Regarding the preference between Starblade / Galaxian3... I've the same opinion than you: Starblade is far better... far more difficult... almost impossible to finish with one credit! A real challenge  :P

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »
Thank you very much Nuno. Well, I'm not from the USA.. I wish I was. I am from Sweden where we have got very little arcade games. However because of that also a greater curiosity about them.

And yes, I think you can call me a fan of Starblade and Galaxian3. I always enjoy what is beautiful and well presented, on whatever system or media it may be.

Aha! So Zolgear has selectable routes? Very well. I understand it's not a random selection wether to fly right, down or left, but a player's choice what mission, or route to take. I would very much like to try a few rounds with Zolgear.

And aha! Starblade is harder than Galaxian3? That's news to me, but very pleasant news. I love the challenge that Starblade gives. You know, I can.. , or at least I could finish the game in one credit. But then I also used my special methods like fire-hammering with my right hand on a thumb-button while aiming the cannon with my left. Since you get only like three shots in one sequence, sort of "fof-fof-fof, .. fof-fof-fof.. . ", you never fire enough to do serious damage to the more durable enemies, nor can you eliminate enemies quickly enough when attacked by groups or enemy fire of various kind.

So what I learned pretty early playing the game, was that *every time you press the button a laser is fired*, no matter how quickly you alternate your fingers. The faster you are the more lasers you can fire. Infact, you should have an auto-fire circuit as cheat for this game... haha. This applies especially at the reactor with the power stone chamber. You don't really need to move the cannon alot, what's important here is that you fire as fast as you can at the power stone. I'm sure that you know what I mean. So, when you know the routes well, you know where to aim the cannon in advance.  This is your advantage. Then you can focus on hammering the laser button and doing some damage.

The only thing I must admit is missing in Starblade is some type of sequence where I must avoid objects, or steer within some narrow trenches like in Star Wars. Starblade is a shooting gallery only game which offers limited control over the travel path, but I keep imagining that I'm the gunner in a starfighter operating the lasers, and there's a pilot with me steering the ship. Actually something which would make Starblade the ultimate space action adventure would be if there was a two player option where you can play as pilot *and* the other player *the gunner*. I know that Sega's Star Wars Arcade was exactly that, but somehow that game didn't make as great impression on me.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »
Speaking of Playstation ports, I just found out that there's something called "The Rising of Gourb" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxian_3 which is weird because it seems that you can connect a LD-player to your Playstation and have is show the CG as overlay ontop of the LD movie.

Anybody konws anything about this?