Author Topic: [Restoration] Paperboy - delivering papers ... again!  (Read 60983 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: [Restoration] Paperboy - delivering papers ... again!
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »
Great restoration job!

I'm very curious about this   :arrow:

...because I may need a similar job for several projects. Expensive you said? How much?  ::)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »
OH Ully, that coin door SO made me want to have a look at the SW yoke parts !!!! I should have had them here now if it wasn't for the $&^#$)%^#(^$&@#^$*)&%)&^)&^%$)(@&#^%)(&%^ weather ! ;D

It looks completely fabulous ! (and all the other work too of course !)

Yes there are many similarities (and even parts) from the SW yoke in Paperboy...

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »
 :o :o :o
GRRRRREAT!
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
Thats looking "Super" Ully!  8)

I don't know your mechanical skills, but it sure looks like a tough job to put this together again!

anyway , it looks like you did it !

now only see if it works when you have the PCB up and running

and then ofcourse the coindoor , this powdercoat is really making them new !

About the grips , i understand you want original, but these will match the chome very well :

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:07:37 PM by Etienne [NL] »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
I'm very curious about this ... because I may need a similar job for several projects. Expensive you said? How much?  ::)

i paid 50 euros for the 4 pieces :shock:. just to refresh your memory: the entire cabinet cost me €36,50  ;) but it was well worth it, fabulous finish, incredible look! A+++

thx a lot for all your kind words! putting the controller back together again was a pain in the a**, especially because it's been many many weeks since i disassembled it. i DID take a lot of pictures and the description in the manual is really good and accurate, but there are several ways to do it wrong. the shafts and inner housings can be swapped around as they are identical. i did make some mistakes and had to disassemble it over and over again, but in the end - I WON  :twisted:

things left to do:

- solve the screen orientation problem
- fix the pcb (or get a working one :P)
- add an additional metal bar to the inside of the control panel area to give more support to the heavy control panel (those things tend to bend in the middle)
- remove the protective layer from the sidearts  :-*
- move it next to the other machines  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
Only one word

IMPRESSIVE  :o :o

:spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:34 PM »
the restoration continues ...

because of the weight of the player controls there is a lot of tension / pressure on the control panel itself. add to that the intensity during gameplay and you have what a lot of paperboy (and championship sprint) control panels suffer from: they are bent in the middle. my panel is almost flat, but once the player controls are installed and the control panels hinges are "closed", there is a bigger gap between the monitor frame and the panel right in the middle.

it's difficult to see in the following picture, but it is clearly there!

because i don't want this to get worse (and eventually destroy my panel), i've decided to add additional support for the control panel in form of a metal bar. but first of all, i have to do something else. the wood on the inner right side of the control panel area which "carries" the panel wasn't screwed properly to the cabinet during assembly (and i didn't realize that until now), that's why - when installed - the position of the control panel on the right side is a few millimeters lower than on the left side, making it uneven and intolerable  ;)

for that, i've "designed" a small piece of wood to compensate for that inaccuracy  :arrow:

i'm glueing this on top of the control panel support

on the left side of the control panel, i'm creating a small ditch so that the supporting metal bar i'm adding will fit in nicely with the wood - as if it were created in one piece!

here's the metal bar which is going to give more support to the control panel. i've screwed it to a piece of wood, which in return will be screwed to the wooden control panel supports i have just prepared.

here's the metal bar in detail, note that i've also drilled differently sized holes to countersink the screws  :)

and here we have it on location. impossible to see on that picture (because the control panel is missing), but it works like a charm and does exactly what it is supposed to do - give support to the control panel. it took me a while to come up with that idea and to construct something which can be easily installed and does its job, but in the end i fulfilled the requirements  :spaceace:

note to myself: add the same "construction" to the championship sprint cabinet

on to the next problem: remember that the monitor orientation wasn't correct, that is: the picture was upside down.

i've asked for help on the american klov forum and after some input i knew what i had to do. here's a closeup picture of the monitor chassis. difficult to access, because it's in the far back corner. do you see the description next to that upper green connector: REVERSE YOKE. this is what i'm here for ...  ;)

unplugged!

obviously the monitor really was installed the wrong way around when i got the game, because now it has the correct orientation, only that the picture doesn't. so let's find out whether plugging in the connector below its initial position (there are two possibilies to plug this in) will do the trick. btw, i never removed that connector, didn't even know it existed! but who cares, testing time ...

... drum roll ...

:arrow: PLUG

... drum roll ...

:spaceace: YEAH BABY :spaceace:

the only thing that's still not ok with the picture is the alignment, but this should only be a matter of turning some knobs!

it was a good day for paperboy, let's have a look at the checklist:

- solve the screen orientation problem
- add an additional metal bar to the inside of the control panel area to give more support to the heavy control panel (those things tend to bend in the middle)
- fix the pcb (or get a working one)
- drill supporting holes for the control panel on the front of the cabinet (i though i could go without, but they were originally there and i was told that you need them)
- fix the player controls to the control panel
- remove the protective layer from the sidearts  
- move it next to the other machines

as you can see, not a lot left to do, i guess i'll have to deal with that pcb now. andré, have you checked your emails?  ;)

to be continued ...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:52:38 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
Glad you solved the upsidedown problem  :)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
Almost finished ..... go go go Ully !!!

8)
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:40 PM »
i've asked for help on the american klov forum and after some input i knew what i had to do. here's a closeup picture of the monitor chassis. difficult to access, because it's in the far back corner. do you see the description next to that upper green connector: REVERSE YOKE. this is what i'm here for ...  ;)

Uh, didn't I mention that ?

Mail received.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
Uh, didn't I mention that ?

you probably did when you wrote "Maybe you put the deflection wire on the wrong connector on the chassis. Or the wrong way around", but my answer was "deflection wire???".

but don't worry, even a techno noob like myself got this fixed now. i'm learning slowly but surely though ...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »
Remind me to give you a crash-course on monitors.And electronics. ;)

Sorry I wasn't more clear about it, but at least I'm happy that my memory still worked OK because I posted that from the top of my head without checking manuals etc.

Now, let's see those voltages :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 11:15:12 PM »
i'm going to see my bed first  ;D

voltages tomorrow, haven't checked the board for test points or "curls", don't know how those are supposed to look!

g'night

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:39 AM »
i'm going to see my bed first  ;D

voltages tomorrow, haven't checked the board for test points or "curls", don't know how those are supposed to look!

g'night
It's very likely not "curls" because Atari used those on the earlier boards. They are simply some hard wire curled a couple of times and then soldered on the PCB at the test point. The advantage of them is that you can stick your meter tip between the curl (so you don't need alligator clamps for that).

Anyway, here's the part of the PCB you need to look for:

Red circle = +5V test point
Yellow Circle = GND (Ground) and +15V and -15V test points

The arrows show which lead you should put onto the test points. It's always handy to "fix" the GND connection (black lead) with alligator clamps or something like that if you have those around. THis way you can move the red test-lead to anywhere on the board with one hand. Now put the black lead on the GND and the red lead on +5V. You should read exactly 5.00 V or a little bit higher.
Keep the black lead on the GND test point, and move the red test lead to the -15V testpoint. Check if it's close to -15V. Then move the red lead to the +15V and again check.

If this is all good, switch the meter to AC and re-do all those tests. You should ideally read 0.00 volts because we want DC here, not AC. If you have any AC (for instance, 0.50 volts) you will definitely need to re-cap the power supply. A value of 0.01 or 0.02 is acceptable.

The test points maybe just some metal pin or maybe even just a "soldering" island that isn't soldered, with some bare metal where you can touch your test probes (they started to do that when the got into cost reduction).

Let's have a good hi-res picture of your PCB by the way....

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:32:44 AM by Level42 »

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2010, 01:30:39 AM »
I don't want to derail this thread, but Level42 that is some really useful electronics pointers there! Don't suppose you could help me diagnose my Rygar board problem? I so want to play that game!!!