Author Topic: What's your wish list for 2010?  (Read 32520 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: What's your wish list for 2010?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
no offence, but I do  :)

Here are some in my living room (part of the group buy I organized last Summer):

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:04:52 PM by ckong »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
no offence, but I do  :)

Here are some in my living room (part of the group buy I organized last Simmer):

non taken  :D

like you sayd before, just a matter of taste  ;D

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
Well, it's true they can't compete with a dedicated cab with dedicated artwork etc... It's a totally different style after all. But when comparing generic cabs (candy/woody) I prefer candies for their big beautiful screens and excellent controls ;D
...and playing Deathsmiles on a woody with a Suzo or Happ stick just wouldn't be right :-X
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
I think the candies are quite nice, especially when you want to play more modern games, may I ask what you paid for one?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »
I think the candies are quite nice, especially when you want to play more modern games, may I ask what you paid for one?

Indeed, those cabs are great for modern SHMUPS and modern fighting games. I bought 16 of them during the insert coin '09 event and sold 14 again. Sales prices differed from € 570 to € 780 (Blast City) or so, I believe.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »
Ah, that's still quite expensive. I’ll be visiting Japan in 4 months, so I’ll get more than enough chance to check them out and decide if I’m ever going to buy one. Which fighters do you play on them?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:38:38 PM by gyruss »

jcp

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »
Well, I don't have really a wish list (and no room too !), but if I can find a shmup/plateform game that I have enjoyed back in the days, maybe ::).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:39:23 PM by jcp »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
Which fighters do you play on them?

No fighters, I'm a fan of shmup's, classic and modern.

Jase

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 11:20:28 PM »
More classics for me in no particular order -

Asteroids
Tron
Space Invaders Part II
Astro Blaster
Galaga
Dig Dug
Gyruss

That's all I can think of for now  ;)

However, I really should get started on my Defender project...  :D
Star Wars, Berzerk, Qix, Tempest, Gorf, PacMan, Joust, Moon Cresta, Defender, Moon Shuttle, Space Invaders Pt II full size originals. Nintendo PC-10 MAME cab.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »

restoration?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 07:35:31 AM »
...and playing Deathsmiles on a woody with a Suzo or Happ stick just wouldn't be right :-X
What game ?

Anyway, I can't think of a shmup that wouldn't benefit from a Suzo joystick, I hate those Jap controls, sticks _and_ buttons. The joys have MILES of travel and feel sloppy. The buttons....well the buttons......, candy indeed ! :D

I do see the candies as a practical platform for those later games though. I would never want to run any early arcade games on a huge monitor like that (because it looks bad) but the higher res games are much more at their place on machines like that.

Although candies provoke zero emotion with me, this is something you don't do to one of them:

It's a disgrace for Ms.Pac Man mostly, but it even hurts the candy machine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:38:17 AM by Level42 »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »
Anyway, I can't think of a shmup that wouldn't benefit from a Suzo joystick, I hate those Jap controls, sticks _and_ buttons. The joys have MILES of travel and feel sloppy. The buttons....well the buttons......, candy indeed ! :D

Not quite true. If you want to play a frantic SHMUP you need a joystick which is light, travels light, travels short and is precise. And if you choose the right model japanese stick (both Sanwa and Seimitsu have perfect sticks with short travel), it will beat a Suzo stick any time. Suzo plays just too heavy for modern SHMUP's. And it is a monstrosity on a candy cab of course  :lol:

Here is a link with some nice pics of a candy gameroom setup: http://forum.nozomi.nl/viewtopic.php?t=2327&start=25
On the last picture: the cab on the left is a Sega Blast City. Goatboy bought it from me (part of insert coin group buy) but I regret having it sold. It's a wonderful tri-sync candy cab.

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
My 12 month old daughter loves playing Mushihimesama on my Sega Astro City cab :)

Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »
What game ?

There are companies who still make arcade games today. I know, it's weird but true ;)

I have to agree with ckong on this, Seimitsu & Sanwa are top notch brands for playing fighters and (modern) shmups.

Regarding that picture, that's like putting Street Fighter art on a Galaga or Donkey Kong cab... :-X Nobody that loves classic cabs and/or candy cabs will like that hideous thing.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Jase

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »

restoration?
'fraid so. It's a restoration of HUGE proportions! This baby has been abused  :(
Star Wars, Berzerk, Qix, Tempest, Gorf, PacMan, Joust, Moon Cresta, Defender, Moon Shuttle, Space Invaders Pt II full size originals. Nintendo PC-10 MAME cab.