Author Topic: :: Pilgrimage / Road Trip part II - Galaxian3 @ FunWorld in USA ::  (Read 51770 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Here's the first part of this story  :arrow:

[click on the picture for the full story]

So it's 4:34PM... we are leaving FUNSPOT  :'( ....

...but ... I know there's something BIG on the way back to New York... located somewhere in Nashua (New Hampshire) : FUNWORLD  :P

So... less than two hours later ...

... 6:19PM ...

Here we are :

On the parking... ready to enter the place... I'm very exited  :P ...

... because I know there is a GT-6, up & running here  :-* :-* :-*

What? What is a GT-6? Ok, let's call it 'GALAXIAN THEATER' if you prefer  ::) 8)

Oh my god... see, it's there  :-*  :arrow:

Now, see in video the *real* first encounter between me and this baby... a magical moment for a such G3 fan like me  :P

[click on the picture to watch the video]

Ok, as you can see on the video : the game is not fully working  :-[ As far as I can see :

- No more background musics / sounds effects / voices... except few of them, generated by the boards (not by the LD footage).
- Sound volume is too low, no more surround and no more flash light.
- No vibration

So, yes... the game is playable but at least 80% of the fun is gone : the ambiance provided by light/musics/flash/vibration/theater surround  :-\
It's a little bit sad to see that game in that condition, because it won't give to the players the real Galaxian3 theater 'experiment'   :'( ... and the kids who are trying this may be very disappointed  :-\

But...I'm still happy to see a such beast running in a pubic game room... because... I mean... how many Galaxian Theater up & running left in the world? I'm sure less than 10 :
As far as I know :
2 or 3 in Japan, 1 in Canada, maybe 4 or 5 in US (including the air RAID conversion)... and ... nothing in Europe? (except mine, but still unassembled yet)...

Anyway...

What a beautiful *monster*  :-*  :arrow:

It has assembled directly against two walls : back wall and right wall ...

The biggest arcade marquee  :-*  :arrow:

Let's go inside...

Still using the original SONY tri-tubes projectors :

This theater let you play the second mission : Attack of the Zolgear :

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 05:21:53 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
:: Pilgrimage / Road Trip part II - Galaxian3 @ FunWorld in USA ::
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »
And now... of course... my authentic 'ArcadeLifeStyle' pictures  :P ;D

Few advises :

- Do not be afraid to be ridiculous
- Never pay attention to the other persons around you... you'll forget them as they will forget you few minutes later...
- Try as much as possible to be on the pictures... it gives authenticity and you let you real good memories. In addition, your pictures will be different than the ton of generic pictures already available somewhere  ;)
- If you have a great idea for a special picture, do it...do it immediately...or you'll never do it.
- Do hesitate to take pictures for the fun, in many cases, the best pictures are the ones without any arcade cabinet on them  8)
- Pictures are just for fun... so take some fun during them
- I know all the stress around a road trip, and the problem to solves... many questions to answer... you're very tired.... BUT ... never forget to take pictures, or you'll regret it later...
- If you don't have time to publish a road trip, then do not publish it. Take your time, and do a nice story  ;)
- Think about a story...
- Improvisation and originality are the keys  8)

So let's go :

Did I already tell you I'm a die-hard NAMCO fan?  ::) :P  :arrow:

Holy shit... it's really huge... I'm as small as this theater is big  :shock:  :arrow:

By the way, did you recognize my custom-made t-shirt?

Yeah! It's the one I wore during the Galaxian3 road trip here  :arrow:

OK, who want to play with me? What?! I'm a little bit alone here  :pac: :pac: :pac:  :arrow:

At least, my wife is not so far...  :-*  :arrow:

In the lobby of the theater...

And at the end... impossible to resist... here's once again my collector home made t-shirt  ;D  :arrow:

Now, this is official... this GT-6 has been 'Nunoized'  ;D  :arrow:

Ok, a last check before to say good bye to this theater... let's check the high of it... approximatively  as you can see  ;)  :arrow:

Well, we know we have a long trip to drive back to New York... but... let's check for some classics here before to go...

A Pac Man :

A Centipede :

...and ... and ... nothing else  :-[ Ok it's funWORLD, not FUNSPOT here  ;D

Hey, see the size of this racing cab':  :arrow:

Cute!  :-*

OK, now we really have to go...

Let's set the nav sat to ...heart of New York  8)

Once again I have to complain about the temporary camera I'm using during this US trip : Kodak Easy Share M883! Never buy that shit!  :evil:

Now it was supposed to be pictures of huge landscape ... when approaching New York... but the result is these pictures  :-\  :arrow:

I'm very tired... it was a big day... rain... no light on the road... but finally ... entering into New York...

Fortunately for me... it's quite calm at this late hour...

...almost the end... I've done a lot of road trips... but driving for an 'Arcade' story here, in New York, is a little bit... unusual  ::) ;D

And here we are... the Alamo car rental agency :

Let's check the stats :

630 miles / 1013 km on the road , 4 states : New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire
Total : 16 hours  :-*

Woow... FUNSPOT and FUNWORLD the same day :P  What a day  :P  :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:54:53 PM by DarthNuno »

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
Re: :: Pilgrimage / Road Trip part II - Galaxian3 @ FunWorld in USA ::
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Nice pictures of the G3! Makes it more exciting to see the build of yours in the future 8)

I just noticed this sign with "...real Mazda driving..."
Please tell me you found this at funworld :arrow: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=833&page=1#2693  :o
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
I just noticed this sign with "...real Mazda driving..."
Please tell me you found this at funworld :arrow: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=833&page=1#2693  :o

I didn't see the Namco's full scale simulator. Because its size is very similar than the GT6, I would say it was there *before* the GT6, at the same location?
Damn! I didn't pay attention to that, I was too focused on the GT6, and like you, I've just saw "...real Mazda driving..." on pictures now. I've should see that there, and asked to someone over there  :oops:

Anyway, the video is now available. See the link in the main post  ;)

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
I just watched the video, that game is so cool! 8) But like you say, it's a shame there is no music and cool sound effects :(
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »
Nice story, as usual. But I can believe that you want to go back to Funspot, one day for two places like that is already far too short, Funspot alone must be a two-day visit.

Perhaps some of the forum members will meet there early June.  :D If possible (and I can plan my own time), I will be there.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 06:59:58 PM »
Well, that has to be love at first sight seeing another G3!!

And! - remember to make the roof height in the V3 at least 30cm higher for proper ventilation!

Equites

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
Wow, I cannot believe you managed to find another Galaxian3 still being operated. Galaxian3 is my most favourite game of all time, the best I can do at the moment is to play on my PSX with Sony flight yoke stick, Sony surround system with REL subwoofer on my 42" plasma screen.

I used to travel to a place in the UK called Blackpool (North West of England) where they had a GT-6. It dissapeared about 4 years ago and I have not been able to find out what happened to it.

If I come across a GT-6 I will buy it and save it, awesome game. Otherwise, I will have to build a custom Starblade/Galaxian3 theatre once Galaxian3 is fully emulated.

DarthNuno, you are the Galaxian3 master....I obey!

What have you done with your Galaxian3?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »
Wow, I cannot believe you managed to find another Galaxian3 still being operated. Galaxian3 is my most favourite game of all time, the best I can do at the moment is to play on my PSX with Sony flight yoke stick, Sony surround system with REL subwoofer on my 42" plasma screen.

I used to travel to a place in the UK called Blackpool (North West of England) where they had a GT-6. It dissapeared about 4 years ago and I have not been able to find out what happened to it.

If I come across a GT-6 I will buy it and save it, awesome game. Otherwise, I will have to build a custom Starblade/Galaxian3 theatre once Galaxian3 is fully emulated.

DarthNuno, you are the Galaxian3 master....I obey!

What have you done with your Galaxian3?

Wow... can you post pictures (or even better ... a video) of your Galaxian3 setup  ::) ;)

Regarding the GT-6 you mention (Blackpool), it's maybe this one?

Equites

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
DarthNuno that GT-6 looks like the Blackpool one, I wonder what happended to it.

I will post some pictures of my Galaxian3 PSX setup. Also, I should add that once Galaxian3 has been 100% emulated I am going to build a cockpit cab for both Starblade and Galaxian3 running in emulation. I just need to source a Starblade controller.

Oh, just seen you with a cool collection of cabs including a GT-6 in this months Retro Gamer, nice! I was wondering if your GT-6 was still in pieces or if you had rebuilt it. The article answered my question, good work.

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »
Bruno in Retro Gamer :o
I haven't received this months issue yet, I'm already looking forward to it now!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
Oh, just seen you with a cool collection of cabs including a GT-6 in this months Retro Gamer, nice!

Woooowwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics pics pics pics pics ..........  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Equites

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 12:32:13 AM »
I'll happily post pictures if the Mods say it is ok, with the magazine being copyright etc..

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 07:09:35 AM »
Hey...what a nice surprise  :-*

Bruno in Retro Gamer :o
I haven't received this months issue yet, I'm already looking forward to it now!

Same for me, I think I'll get it next week... I can't wait to see that in the mag  :P

I'll happily post pictures if the Mods say it is ok, with the magazine being copyright etc..

...and of course, please don't scan this magazine! Retro Gamer is a fabulous mag, just order it... or far better ... subscribe  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
*BUMP*  ;D

Six years l8ter, here's how the Galaxian3 Theater6 -still located over there- looks like...in video :

Thanks to John from John's Arcade for being there, following my looong time request ...much appreciated dude!  :-* :-* :-*

So well, the game wasn't plugged... so we can presume it's currently not working?!
Anyway, this one must ABSOLUTELY be saved! This is the only THEATER 'Galaxian3/original game' equipped left in the US as far as I know.
Which means it should includes all the important stuff (pcb & LD media)
The last for sale was located in Canada, and it got severely damaged ( :oops:) in shipping due to a careless carrier... It was in 2014.

So yeah, you must initiate a rescue mission, guys! ...and well, if it cannot be saved, I'm still up for the boards, LD media/players...anything!  ;D I badly need some spare for the only one Galaxian3 located in Europe... mine!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:00:06 PM by DarthNuno »