Author Topic: Restoration - Donkey Kong cabinet  (Read 78096 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration - Donkey Kong cabinet
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »
OK, it has been a little quiet on my progression reports for the DK restoration. But I didn't do nothing, in fact most of the restoration work is almost done. It's just that the last week I was more busy with the Centipede.

I will post about the restoration works soon. One 'funny' picture: yesterday I was disassembling the coin door, but the nut of the coin lock wouldn't move. So I got angry:

The little extra damage is not troublesome because there are much more severe damages on the panel, which will be repaired by a metal worker:

When all work on the coindoor is done, the door will look like new. I already ordered all spare parts for the coinmechs.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »
Yes, today is my lucky day. I finally found a paint which color matches perfectly with the DK cab. I did search for this for over two weeks now. I first did a colormatch at the local 'Praxis', and although the color seemed OK (powder blue), it was just too bright blue. I wasn't happy with that. Of course the wife did think I was an ant fucker (mierenneuker), but DK is an unique cab, so the color has to be spot on.

This was the first attempt:

Then I got a tip from somebody to use ‘Flexa semi gloss Azur blue’. I bought a can, but when I held the top of the can (where a color sample is) to the cab I saw immediately that it was way off (sorry about that). I returned the can the next day.

I tried also some samples from formica. Completely the wrong color

Yesterday I was at the ‘Praxis’ store again for some other things (during all restoration work I am also rebuilding our bathroom and bedroom) and my eye fell on a color sample which I knew could be perfect (Praxis color code BL133, satin gloss). I bought half a liter, went home and painted a testboard. But I was so confident about the color that I also painted a little part of the cab (I know, without the right preparation like sanding or applying primer. But it’s just a test).

This morning I checked the result, and holy macaroni, it is a perfect match. Who can see  the difference (slide the slider at the bottom of this post to the right, the corner of the cab is the 'testside')? Don’t mind all the stains, that is ‘bondo’. I’m a happy man now.

A few days back I applied a fresh black coat on the top and back of the cab and on the inside of the sidepanels (only visible part). I also repainted the base of the cab. I used matt black and the result is amazing:

I also cleaned the monitor chassis and  the power block and vacuumed the cab internally.

What is left to do? I didn’t do anything on the CP yet. I did restore the damaged parts on the sidepanels though, and now that I found the right color, I can paint the sidepanels. I also ordered a bunch of parts from Mike’s Arcade (mainly buttons and joystick parts. When they arrive I can assemble the cab again. Oh, and I received the coin sticker and instruction sheet which I bought on ebay. The picture doesn’t do justice to the very good quality of it.

Next report will be the sidepanel restoration and painting.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:46:53 PM by ckong »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
ant fucker (mierenneuker)

Whoehahahahaha, that must be funny to people outsidde of the netherlands, i think its a tipical dutch expression.  ;D ;D ;D

Love it !!  ;)

P.s. Nice job so far,

neeldless to say, I love DK! (but then again , who doesn't  8))

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:40 PM »
Wow Ckong, your blue paint looks amazing! :)
And you are right about my "Azure blue"  being pretty off, but for someone who has never seen a DK cab in real life it's not to bad :)
I am satisfied with it. Although it is more "greenisch / aqua" than your color.

Keep up the great work!
Awesome cabinet you have there.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »
... Although it is more "greenisch / aqua" than your color.

I din't post a picture of the Azur blue color. The 3 first pictures that you must be referring too is from my first test, Histor Hip Blue.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
Hahahaha Ant fucker, brings a smile to my face. ;D ;D The new paint looks fresh!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
Although the DK cab looked pretty good when I bought it, at closer (and not so close) inspection at home I found a few severe damages on the sidepanels. Fortunately the artwork was like new, but the sides could use some woodfiller here and there. And after doing some serious repair work (not documented, How To’s can be found at several places here and at other places on the www) it is time for a paintjob. Because the side art is still in very good condition, I will attempt to paint the sidepanels with the artwork still attached. Hopefully I have success, if not, then I just have to buy new artwork and start over again.

The materials and tools which I used today are: sticky clear vinyl, a wet sponge (to wet the side art before applying the vinyl), a small and sharp cutting knife, primer and rollers, painters masking tape, patience and a steady hand. Here are the pics, no comment needed.

Done for today.  :P I apllied one layer of primer. I will let it dry and if I have the time tomorrow I will sand it very smooth and apply the first layer of DK blue paint. A tip if you want to use this method also one day, when you cut the excess vinyl away, always work with a view from the inside of the side art. Because then you have a good view of the knife following the edge of the side art and cutting errors can be avoided.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »

I know there is transparent masking here, but it hurts when i imagine this not there   ;)

Looking good Ckong !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
nice job so far! hopefully no underpaint at the masked off sideart - keeping my fingers crossed!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »
Whoooowww Ckong,

nice thrilling job  :ghost: :-* :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »
nice job so far! hopefully no underpaint at the masked off sideart - keeping my fingers crossed!

Me too  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »
Great work....

Something we didn't discuss this weekend (amazing with some 8 hours in the car together (without a dull moment :) ): just an idea: Why not Radar Scope red ?

I know you already bought the blue paint, but IMHO the DK marquee, bezel, CPO and side-art look best with the red background.

Just something that crossed my mind....now you can still change your mind ;) ;) ;)

Some inspiration, Scr33n's wonderful repro:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:43:41 PM by Level42 »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 11:52:54 PM »
I have considered the red color also for a short time, but I want the cab to be as original as possible, even if it's asthetic not the nicest choice. And this cab's original color is blue, which I by the way like very much. What I like about the blue color is that all the artwork on the frontside is more pronounced than with radarscope red.

On the other hand, I'm planning to make a few replica's of this cab (I can take the measurements very easy now  ;D ), one of which will be a D2K cab ( http://www.coinopspace.com/profiles/blogs/donkey-kong-2-d2-project ) and perhaps also a radarscope red one.

Will be a very nice sight, 3 or 4 Nintendo cabs in a row.  :lol:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 07:30:20 AM »
Yeah I can see your "original" argument. I still prefer the DK artwork in a red cab, but tastes differ :)
At least you already considered it ;)

Can't wait for the replica's ;) Let me know if I have to help ;)

About the masking: Did you take it off right after the first primer layer and will re-apply a new masking for the next layer(s) ?
Or do you keep it and do all the layers using just one layer ?
Because I wonder if you will get it off nicely once the primer has dried completely ?

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »
I leave the artwork masked until the sidepanel is finished, crossing my fingers until that time.