Author Topic: ArcadeHal in the Netherlands  (Read 21410 times)

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
ArcadeHal in the Netherlands
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
last weekend I was on a Dutch vacation island called Terschelling. I used to visit it as a kid and spent some time in the Arcade over there in the early nineties. This weekend I walked by the arcade to find out if it was still there, and to my surprise it was open! I walked in and it was almost exactly the same as I remembered. It was great to find myself standing in a real arcade once again. The owner himself was there too. He is a gamefan himself, and makes sure all the cabinets and pinballmachines stay in good shape. He told me alot of stories about the cabinets and we even played VirtuaCop2 together. A nice game, but he outshot me bigtime

Here are some pics I shot. And if you may go to Terschelling, you can visit this arcade in West-Terschelling, I think it's closed during the winter, but in spring, summer and fall it is opened. Every game costs only 50c.

So I changed some money and I played almost all the games that were there. There were a few generic cabs with PANG, BUBBLE BOBBLE, TEKKEN 2 and MS. PACMAN on it.  :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:55:04 PM by Ronald Reagan »
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: ArcadeHal in the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
here are some more photo's:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:04:52 PM by Ronald Reagan »
An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 40 seconds ago. Please try again later.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the ride  :-*

My favorites ones are the Final Lap R, After Burner Cockpit, Indy pinball, .... and woow... 6 Daytonaaaaa linked  :-* :-* :-*

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
some more photo's

An Error Has Occurred!

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »
I forgot to photograph the PANG/BUBBLE BOBBLE generic cabinet

I was wondering if someone else here on this forum knows another Dutch arcade just like this. There are not many arcade left in the Netherlands, I guess.
An Error Has Occurred!

old school

• Read more = post less
    • View Profile
    • Le JR'S
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
Thank's Mr president for the time travel !!!

Great to see such place still lives.
"Winners Don't Use Drug " but to loop Ghost & Goblins it help !!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »
Great !!! Then again, what else would you do on Terschelling ;) ;)

Yeah, the guy knows his stuff if he's kept the Daytona's for so long. Best racing game ever. IMHO.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
I was wondering if someone else here on this forum knows another Dutch arcade just like this. There are not many arcade left in the Netherlands, I guess.

Wanna play the *famous* SEGA's R360? ... yes ... in your country... check this post:-*

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Wow, talk about seeing the 90's Arcade again!!!

T2.. Video & Pinball!!   HighSpeed 2 & Funhouse!!

Area 51 & Simpsons.

Great Pix!!   Hope you played them all!!   ;)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 06:24:50 PM »
Thx for the pictures!!!!

this looks damn awsome!!!! - i wouldent mind having another set, so i could beat 3 of my friends at the same time  8) 8) 8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »
There are good arcades at Vlissingen (Flushings) called Carousel. Although not as classic as the one RonaldReagan (Damn I still hate that name !) shows here, it is a quality arcade with a very nice interior. There is a HUGE collection of REALLY classic Jukeboxes, other coin op machines etc. up stairs, bit like a museum. Really worthwile.

Renesse also has an arcade of the same chain of arcades which is really nice, but also more modern.

I recently discovered an arcade (or more, leisure center) in Almere which is brand new. Of course, new games only....

There's also some OK arcades in Valkenburg.

Hommerson at Scheveningen is good too.

When I think of it, it's still the same places as in the 80's that I knew then.....

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »
Great pictures, love the Daytona and T2 cabs!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »
Nice pics, good atmosphere. Actually, when I was a kid I almost never went to Arcade halls, they didn't exist in my town or in the nearby towns. I always played the available games in a few pubs and cafetaria's.

The disadvantage was of course that there wasn't much of a choice at any time, you had to wait until the pub owner changed the game. And there were sometimes long waiting lines. On the other hand, you had the chance to become pretty good on a game. I rememeber playing Donkey Kong (actually it was Crazy Kong) for hours a week, during a few months. Oh god, I love that game.

Ronald Reagan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
You rather read the name of Gorbatsjov?

I can recall there also was an arcade, or more like a luna park in Zandvoort, called the Circus. Anyway, I think this one in Terschelling has a lot of oldschoolnineties flavour, which I like very much.

I was in Vlissingen this summer, and I was close to the Carrousel. Unfortunately, I didn't walk in, thought it was a place where shopping parents dumped their little kids.
An Error Has Occurred!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »
You rather read the name of Gorbatsjov?

I can recall there also was an arcade, or more like a luna park in Zandvoort, called the Circus. Anyway, I think this one in Terschelling has a lot of oldschoolnineties flavour, which I like very much.

I was in Vlissingen this summer, and I was close to the Carrousel. Unfortunately, I didn't walk in, thought it was a place where shopping parents dumped their little kids.
Yes I much prefer Gorbatjsov indeed.

Circus still exists, but it doesn't look much like an arcade now: http://www.circuszandvoort.nl/

I never been there. I'm from Rotterdam, and people from Rotterdam went to Zeeland :D
That's where my first arcade experiences lie.
EM machines, B/W video games, all of those were right on the "arcade" on the camping site. Man why didn't we take pictures then !?!?!!?

Definitly check out Caroussel next time. The interior alone is very nice. All machines have card readers for credits, and f.i. it's half price on sunday morning.
http://www.carrousel-amusement.nl/
They have 4 pinball machines, which is the most on one location that I know of (I mean, public location...). Even Homersson dropped all their pinballs about 2 years ago :(
Upstairs are the redemption games "for kids" but some are actually lots of fun. They also have Outrun SP, which was very cheap to play compared to Hommerson Scheveningen.

Caroussel has a huge ancient organ (a fixed one) as decor, that actually works on a coin normally but was out of order when I visited. It's a great piece and really sets the atmosphere. I have a weak spot for mechanical organs, especially "dancing organs" that were popular many-many years ago in the south of Holland and in Belgium.

Anyway, here pics of the organ which of course is named "Carrousel" and the jukebox collection: http://www.carrousel-amusement.nl/?id=1

Even if you're not going there to play, have a walk around (esp. upstairs), it's free and I love that an operator "wastes" his space to show of his collection :D

For people wondering what a "Dancing Organ" is:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:15:20 PM by Level42 »