Author Topic: Would you guys be interested in High Score Save Kits with a Bonus?  (Read 120478 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Re: Would you guys be interested in High Score Save Kits with a Bonus?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
Love this idea, now everybody will be able to see what a bad player i am..  ;D

Seriously, i hope you can make this work, would be really cool!

Jochen just called me. He is really into this at the moment. Hope he keeps this spirit. Yeah... I think we can come up with something really cool here.
I might go an get the URL that I want for this soon. ;)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »
We had an idea over here and I wanted to ask you guys what you think about it.

A few weeks back Bruno asked the Board about the high score-tables for game rooms. I sat down with my buddy Jochen Hippel (told him to get an account here but he still did not manage to do so :D ) and we came up with another idea.

Great, some dutch hacker genius had the same idea, maybe you can ask him if you can use it and give him the credits he deserves, design and source are freely available  :)
http://hackaday.com/2011/05/27/adding-persistent-memory-and-ethernet-to-vintage-arcade-machines/

http://spritesmods.com/?art=twitter1943

Jochen looked into this. He wants more. He wants to include High Score Save even to games who do not support this feature (if there is enough space). Wireless should not be a problem.
We are looking into the support for all 8 Bit processors.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
Hmmm, bottum up with only  the fact that it is a 8 bit architecture will be a challenge, maybe you should go for screen scraping  ???

Keep us posted.

Muerto

• 'High Score' keeper
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »
Sounds great, but, i have 38+ games, then I would have to buy 38+ kits right??? Seems quite expencive then.....

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
Sounds great, but, i have 38+ games, then I would have to buy 38+ kits right??? Seems quite expencive then.....

An other challenge.... Keep price under 10 Euro  :P

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

this i can tell... is impossible. :)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »

if you want to give all the games the kit... yeah. but you also bought 38+ cabs, right....? ;)

Muerto

• 'High Score' keeper
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »

if you want to give all the games the kit... yeah. but you also bought 38+ cabs, right....? ;)

VAPS

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »

THe original will probably cost 50 bucks a piece. Then we wait 6 months and we buy the Chinese bootleg for 10 bucks each ;) ;) ;)

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Great idea!!
(even if I don't understand how it could be 'linked' to different PCB).

I really like the idea to connect a old Arcade game to Internet  :)
Have You Played Atari Today ?

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
Pcb's are not costing that much so you can't expect that there is a huge market for highscore addon kits when they are over 50 Euro's. To spare cost you could ofcourse offer a kit. In the end it is just a nice to have.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
Maybe I am missing something here, but the main feature seems to be that the kit sends the HS to a website where it will be stored in a table where you and others with Internet access can view it.

But why not just develop a website with database where users with access can just input their scores in a table manually, much easier, much cheaper and better to maintain. Of course these kinds of websites alreaqdy exist, more or less. like TwinGalaxies (used to be).

a High Score Save Kit, without internet access would be enough then, and keep costs lower.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
Maybe I am missing something here, but the main feature seems to be that the kit sends the HS to a website where it will be stored in a table where you and others with Internet access can view it.

But why not just develop a website with database where users with access can just input their scores in a table manually, much easier, much cheaper and better to maintain. Of course these kinds of websites alreaqdy exist, more or less. like TwinGalaxies (used to be).

a High Score Save Kit, without internet access would be enough then, and keep costs lower.

we want to bring the feature to boards that do not have a kit so far. jochen is working on something at the moment... here is a little spoiler. who knows this game? :)

why not making a website? because it would not be new. :) i like the idea of uploading my score to a virtual board but this is why I was asking the community if you guys think this would be a cool feature. Maybe it is possilbe to upgrade the save kits with lan-capability. I have to talk with jochen about that. It would definately be possible to make 2 different kts. one with the ability to upload... and a second basic save kit. :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:16:27 AM by Tyrem »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »
GORF  ???  Nah, Wikipedia says that Gorf was released in 1981.

A basic save kit would be cool, especially if the costs are much lower and when you have a lot of games without standard High Score save.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:09:04 AM by ckong »

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
GORF  ???  Nah, Wikipedia says that Gorf was released in 1981.

A basic save kit would be cool, especially if the costs are much lower and when you have a lot of games without standard High Score save.  ;D

gorf is close... but not the right answer. :)
well... doing a basic safe kit for those machines that won´t have one so far... definately possible. :)
i think we will offer optional internet for those who like the idea as much as we do over here. :)

actually i can not wait to put such a kit on my Galaga 88. this is going to be a bit tricky cause you can not just go and take the processor from the board without a few skills... but it will be worth the work for sure.