Author Topic: neon sign - save it or rust in pieces eh rest in peace?  (Read 38355 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: neon sign - save it or rust in peace?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »
that is so cool - video center ;D

regarding "my" elektro sign: i tried contacting the house owner, but the number listed in the shop window has been disconnected :shock: - must be pretty old! i'll go over and ask around in houses nearby or work my magic charm at the town hall (where my mother used to work), but i guess the sign is up for grabs - and then i'm definitely going for it, even if i'm not goin gto use it, i'm here for an adventure :)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »
The Neon Police (r) hereby officially declares:

That is gives permission to:

Ullrich (Aka SuperUlly), Lauda, Germany, age 40

to remove and rescue any piece of classic Neon that has been abandoned /improperly maintained/damaged by it's (former) owner.

Signed, Captain André (aka Level 42)

Do your duty, do what's right !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
The Neon Police (r) hereby officially gives permission to remove and rescue any piece of classic Neon that has been abandoned /improperly maintained/damaged by it's (former) owner.

thx so much, mr neon policeman - i will do as i have been told!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: neon sign - save it or rust in pieces eh rest in peace?
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
i just went there again to investigate a little bit further. school holidays are coming up - would be a perfect time to get this baby down! :spaceace:

here's another shot of the entire (abandoned) building :arrow:

i first look at the sign from behind :arrow:

as you can see, time and weather have taken it's toll on the neon sign, parts of the metal are long gone - eaten away by rust! :evil:

if i definitely decide to go for it, it's going to be one hell of a job to bring it back from the dead. i checked the neon tubes and except for the R (which is broken), they all seem to be complete - but who knows ...

what do you think? get it? leave it?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
You're crazy  :D On that picture it looks really huge...
I still have a question ... why the word 'Elektro' is so important? Maybe it was the German name to advertise a game room back in the day? Just explain why  ::) ;D
I would understand if it was written Video Arcade or something? Or if was the place on your first arcade encounter (like 'Yesterdays for Barry') ...
OK, maybe you give the reason on the first post... but I'm lazy  :P

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »
If i where you (crazy & german) i would take everything except the rusted metal...
Instead of the metal i vould make a similar background in MDF..
1. It will be thinner..
2. It would be 10 times lighter..
3. You vould save tonnes of time/money when fixing it up..
4. With your craftman/preserver skillz, it would be dourable!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
The metal parts are extremly rusty, It would be a hell of a job to restore it and I'm not sure it's possible.
+1 for Muerto. ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »
If i where you (crazy & german) i would take everything except the rusted metal...
Instead of the metal i vould make a similar background in MDF..

that's exactly what i'm planning to do, but i need the metal parts as a template, so i will have to remove everything!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
You're crazy  :D On that picture it looks really huge...

it IS huge, first guess is 2 meters - but not as huge as barry's yesterdays sign ;D

I still have a question ... why the word 'Elektro' is so important? Maybe it was the German name to advertise a game room back in the day? Just explain why  ::) ;D

well, first of all we're dealing with ELECTROnic games here. and then i've been thinking back and forth about a name for my future gameroom and while i'm still not 100% happy with simply naming it ELEKTRO, it could be the start for something else. don't know yet what that "something else" could be, i have some ideas floating around like ELEKTROCADE, but nothing which totally convinces me (yet).

if you guys have ideas in helping me name my gameroom, give it a shot!!! ELEKTRO has to be a part of it though, otherwise i could leave that neon sign rust into pieces ...

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »
What about "ELEKTRO AVENUE" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

and what about "taking over" the building,(in dutch the term is "kraken"  ;D) i mean its abandoned, and it looks big enough  :P

also there are 2 big doors as a storage, and upstairs the restored games  ;)

Oh and in that case , you dont need to remove the sigh  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:44:14 PM by Etienne »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
What about "ELEKTRO AVENUE" ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

once again, that video is not available in germany. to be honest, i've got the feeling that NO VIDEO is available in germany anymore ...  >:(

and what about "taking over" the building,(in dutch the term is "kraken"  ;D) i mean its abandoned, and it looks big enough  :P
Oh and in that case , you dont need to remove the sigh  ;D

;D unfortunately, that building is damn old PLUS (what's worse) it lies directly at THE main road through the beautiful tauber valley - which means tons and tons of traffic!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
I suggest simply "Super Elektro".
Like in "super"ully.
I think it sounds both cool and retro + also a bit cheesy in a good way.
Something in the same spirit as when people where always naming stores "something 2000" in the 80's and now it sounds really cheap (but looks great on a tshirt).

Hey Ully, if you decide to get that sign and if you don't need them, can I have the metal parts when you'll be finished with them?
I like them all rusted like that and I'm sure it would look nice if I hang them on a white wall in my house.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 04:20:22 PM »
I suggest simply "Super Elektro".
Like in "super"ully.
I think it sounds both cool and retro + also a bit cheesy in a good way.

i'm checking ebay regularly for any cool neon words to add to ELEKTRO, but so far nothing interesting has come up yet. i've also been thinking about "stealing" the N from the second word, then adding it to the first one thus making it ELEKTRON and have some electrons in the form of (animated) wire swirling around it, but i'm not sure yet (again). i've also thought about ELEKTROHALLE (electro hall) , ELEKTROSPIELE (electro games) and ELEKTRO ULLY, but ... (you know)!

so keep those ideas coming, guys!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
Hey Ully, if you decide to get that sign and if you don't need them, can I have the metal parts when you'll be finished with them?
I like them all rusted like that and I'm sure it would look nice if I hang them on a white wall in my house.

sure, no problem at all! i've been trying to find the owner of the house this week - without success. i'll try my luck again this week, but perhaps i should simply go there and grab it - i'm pretty sure noone cares ...

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 04:37:38 PM »
you'll soon find out if someone does if you start taking it down, go for it :evil:

i like elektro, being as my favorite albums in the early 80's were called electro 1 electro 2 etc, couldnt be more retro to me
just keeping an eye on things