Author Topic: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?  (Read 128558 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »
If its the same stuff as i have here, its pure copper with some adhesive on it. (it looks like the same stuff)

We used this to make shielding in some places where needed.

I think it does conduct very well, since its pure copper.

Measure Ohm's Ully  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »

almost done with frogger, here's the latest progress :arrow:

first, i applied the ultimate solution sticker to the back of the coin door in case the game ever decides to fail :P

screwed the speaker and the lighting fixture to the marquee board

installed the marquee board into the cabinet, turned on the game and realized that the light from the lighting fixture not only illuminates the marquee itself, but also shines down "into" the cabinet which disturbs a lot during gameplay! :evil:

you can also see the discoloration of the monitor in the upper right corner (and to a much lesser degree in the middle on the left). i've already tried a degaussing coil, but without success :(

does anyone know what causes this problem and how it can be fixed? could a simple cap kit do the trick?

back to the "inner lighting problem": i did some digging on the internet and found the following :arrow:

"there was originally a cardboard piece that was stapled to the back of the shelf to keep this from happening. that "divider/reflector" not only kept the light off the monitor, but also reflected light to the marquee. time and moisture often made them curve."

found a picture as well :arrow:

so i took a piece of cardboard and re-created that divider / reflector (it's fixed to the marquee board with Velcro fastener :arrow: see those black stripes)

fixed behind the lighting fixture

the result is very convincing! :spaceace:

i've done as much as i can do to this cabinet, so let's remove the protective layer on the sideart :)

that frog looks as if it's in physical pain :twisted:

in case you forgot who made that fabulous game / cabinet

i'll be taking the long awaited money shots over the next few days but first i'll have to install a topper and then move the game into the ©elektro-cade™
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
Did you try degaussing the metal frame (if any) around the monitor  (from the back, can e done while off).

If not try that and if it doesnt work you have a problem.

Then its either a bad purity adjustment (which requires moving the yoke) or the tube is dead.....

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »
Did you try degaussing the metal frame (if any) around the monitor  (from the back, can e done while off).
If not try that and if it doesnt work you have a problem.

the monitor doesn't have a metal frame! should i try it from the back nevertheless?

Then its either a bad purity adjustment (which requires moving the yoke) or the tube is dead.....

as long as it doesn't destroy the monitor i can totally live with it (because luckily it's only hte upper right corner). the picture is also slightly distorted in that section, so can it be a cap problem?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »

as long as it doesn't destroy the monitor i can totally live with it (because luckily it's only hte upper right corner). the picture is also slightly distorted in that section, so can it be a cap problem?

And the center left  ;)

i dont think its caps, but if you got that cool device that andre and bela have you can check them ofcourse and replace the bad ones

or just cap it anyway, see if it helps, caps are cheap.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
No thats something caps wont fix, and youre right etienne, its also on the center left side....

Please check the following
Is the yoke not loose on the neck?
How are the purity and convergence rings ? Are they glued and not "loose" ?

If you are brave enough you could try to adjust the purity ring, but that could mess up the convergence. You can draw a straight line over all the rings with a permanent marker so you can always return to the original position. You do have to untighten the clamp behind the rings first vefore trying to move them !!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 18, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »

this is it, guys! although it took much longer than expected (doesn't it always?), i'm proud to announce the end of this restoration (apart from some tiny missing puzzle pieces like alu stickers)!

time for the money shots!!!

originally, this cabinet was a rotten conversion from hell which the "seller" (i got it for it for free) wanted to throw away. but for some stupid reason i accepted the challenge and converted it back - from this ...

... to that!!! :arrow:

the offical board game as a cabinet topper (i just l-o-v-e individual toppers!)

the wonderful reproduction marquee from arcadshop.com

the control panels has gone from this ...

... to that :arrow:

i also cleaned up the inside a bit because it was an incredible mess!

not anymore! 8)

the coin door was not original (in fact, the only original thing still left was the wooden cabinet itself)

that's why it got replaced!

finally, i found a nice key ring for the coin door :-*

as always, thanks to everyone around here for all your great comments, your input and help - i wouldn't have been able to do this alone and it wouldn't have been as much fun as it was without you guys!!!

THIS RESTORATION IS OFFICIALLY DONE!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 18, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
oh, one more thing (perhaps you have notived it as well): the difference size of the track marks between the control panel and the cabinet front is worse than i expected, in fact it almost drives me crazy :P. i think i might have to re-do that with a wider version at some point in the future, for now i'll leave it like that ...

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 18, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
Another classic was reborn from the dumpster, incredible job Ully.I guess you are the only one in the world, who had the courage to start this resto. :D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 18, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »
i am already looking forward to this pic :   ;D

I was not far off with my prediction !

Amazing work Ully !

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »
Wooowww love it  :-* :-* :-*

Congratulations Ully - superb restoration  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 18, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
thx guys, it's been sitting here in my gameroom and i just can't help but look at it :D

@max: haven't seen any scratch-built projects in a while - whats up? :P

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #267 on: December 18, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »
Gee......I hardly see any difference !  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant superb wonderful excellent job as always, but take off that silly board-game box....it completely ruins your brilliant work...doesn't belong there....

(Just MHO of course, as always brought in the nicest and must subtle way I can.....  ;D ;D)

By the way:

Man....that poor frog must have some headache, that's some serious piercing there  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 18, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
Exellent work man!  :pac: :pac: :pac:
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 18, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »
take off that silly board-game box....it completely ruins your brilliant work...doesn't belong there....
(Just MHO of course, as always brought in the nicest and must subtle way I can.....  ;D ;D)

what were you saying? ;D