Author Topic: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?  (Read 128554 times)

Hi

• View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?
« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »
nice job !

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »
Impressive. ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »
Also you can see in the schematics that pin 4 of the LM471 wants -5Volt...

just took the measures: -5.43v!

with that being said, both sound amps are getting the correct voltages, speaker, wiring and potentiometer seem to be working as well. nevertheless, i somehow have the feeling that something is wrong externally, not on the pcb itself ...

any suggestions on what to do next? ask mr caveman to test my board in his cab? buy / build a jamma adapter to test it in a jamma cab?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2011, 07:51:51 PM »
You can use the standard konami to jamma adapter for it if you have one of those. ;)

Laschek

« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »
Try another potentiometer.
Did you test it the way Etienne suggested, measureing ohms instead of beeping through?

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/resistance.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:07:50 AM by Laschek »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »
I love that pic ! , very handy!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
Try another potentiometer.
Did you test it the way Etienne suggested, measureing ohms instead of beeping through?

yes i did and the results are good. nevertheless, i will try another potmeter just to be sure!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »

the sound didn't work with another potentiometer either, so i decided to look in a different direction. by pure coincidence, a frogger pcb popped up on ebay germany last week. it was listed as having graphic errors and sound problems. i wrote the seller an email asking about the sound problems and he told me that "sound problems" mean "no sound at all". i could draw two conclusions from this statement:
(a) the sound amp on the pcb is fried
(b) the seller didn't connect the pcb to a potentiometer and without that - as we know by now - there is no sound at all!

i didn't care about the graphic errors, because if the sound board worked i would simply exchange the sound pcbs and be done with it. so i took the gamble, entered my bid and got the pcb pretty cheap :arrow:

bought the pcb on sunday, paid for it immediately and today - when i got home from school - a box was already waiting for me at my doorstep

inside, the anxiously awaited (supposedly) half-working frogger pcb

the first thing i did was swap the pcbs' sound boards. just out of curiosity, i connected the new frogger pcb (with my old sound board) first and guess what: perfect picture - but no sound. not bad for a start, probably just a voltage problem when the seller tested it. ok, now to the real deal: my old frogger pcb with the new sound board ready for the test!

click on the following picture to see (or better: to hear) what happened :arrow:

we've got sound, baby!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

this means i have a fully working frogger pcb now plus a half-working spare frogger pcb with no sound. i guess i should order a replacement sound amp and see if this fixes the sound problem. would be cool to have a fully working spare pcb! now if only that other package from the usa would arrive ...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
The sweetest tunes ever....shame that video was so short, as I was already anticipating in my mind the next tune ! :)

It's also always funny to hear how much a box (or a marquee area) does for a speaker....there's no bass sound at all with a loose speaker, but man but it in a box and.... ;)

Very efficient way to solve it, nice price ! :)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 26, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
I also saw this pcb on ebay and I was allmost 100% sure that you bought it.! :D
Nice job, good to hear that cute intro song. ;D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
Huray !

Very smart choice Ully !

nothing beats exchanging parts to locate the problem.
now the challenge to fix the other pcb..  i think the amp is fried, since there is not even a crackling sound.
(one or both the chips could be fried i think..)
I would start with the LM471 because it looks like they already changed the other ...

But more important, you can do that relaxed, without pressure and frustration since you got a working board set now !
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:12:06 PM by Etienne »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
Sweet tune for almost nothing! - and that´s how we like it!  ;D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2011, 09:43:43 PM »
now the challenge to fix the other pcb..  i think the amp is fried, since there is not even a crackling sound.
(one or both the chips could be fried i think..)
I would start with the LM471 because it looks like they already changed the other ...

what's the best place to buy stuff like that? never had to exchange any chips ...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »

this morning i started throwing the electronics back into the cab. first stop, the monitor. it was a pain in the a** to make it fit into that handmade wooden monitor frame, but i succeeded eventually!

however, things didn't look as nicely on the back :o :shock:

need i say more? >:(

so i removed the monitor from the cab - again, unscrewed it from the wooden frame, removed the metal frame around the monitor, put the monitor back into the wooden frame and screwed the chassis to the cabinet itself. i wasn't able to center the chassis, because otherwise the anode cap wire would have been too short. nevertheless, i still think it looks pretty nice!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »
I think originally the chassis is also located there ?