Author Topic: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?  (Read 128551 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: [Restoration] Frogger - why did the frog cross the road?
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »
Damn, sometimes I actually DON'T like the brilliant 27" screen in my iMac.....it almost got a burst in the glass when I looked at that pic....

Haha, you're not fooling me Ully. No way you're going to do that. And if you are.....I know where you live.....and I'll be quicker up those three stairs then you can EVER imagine..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PunkRockCaveman

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »
Ully is a funny guy ... I like his humor although it scares me sometimes ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »

;D nice to see that i caused some controversy, but i'm afraid this isn't over yet ...

i've been struggling hard between using woodgrain or not, in fact i was almost ready to use it, but then - out of the blue - a picture popped up here that some dutch dude (can't remember his name, stage38 or something similar) took while visiting funspot this year and it was this picture that convinced me not to use woodgrain but to go with a different color (some people don't even call it a color). here's the famous picture i've been talking about :arrow:

a fantastic sega / gremlin row with an odd man out (aka the black sheep of the family) in between. this picture almost made me cry - seriously :'( how could they put f-ugly woodgrain on the frogger cabinet when they made the rest of them white? this just looks wrong! as i've said before, there is another reason (apart from the fact that i have two other white sega / gremlin cabs) why i decided against woodgrain (which is hopefully going to look as great as i'm expecting it to do), but this will be revealed later. for now, here's the color that i really picked :arrow:

having done this a couple of times already, charlotte and i are experts by now when it comes to applying vinyl / sideart

roll over, beethoven

i'm using the same technique that i used on my pac-mania restoration for the first time: overlapping the vinyl in order to push it down with the t-molding later on (imho the only reasonable way to do it)!

my study is a total mess: parts, tools and trash everywhere!

up next: the sideart! shocker: when i lay one of the graphics on the cabinet for alignment, i realize that there is a huuuge bend in the art. because i have had the art in my possession for quite a while now, i won't be able to exchange it for a new one (a replacement), so i'll have to do my very best to minimize the damage!

let's start applying the art with "the usual suspects"

here's a look at that bend from behind. i wonder whether i'll be able to remove it or not ... ???

i'm using a hi-quality 3m squeegee to push it down as hard / flat as possible

only time will tell (when i remove the protective layer) if / how the damage will be visible - for now it doesn't look too bad!

here's the sideart firmly applied to the cabinet's side :arrow:

one final word regarding the white cabinet: it has been sitting like this in my study for almost a week now and i totally l-o-v-e :-* the way this turned out and the way it looks - imho so much better than woodgrain. i don't care about it not being original, it's a fantastic sight and that's what matters. i won't be showing you photos of the whole cabinet for now, i'll save those for the money shots when the restoration is done 8)

your turn now, bash me!!! :P
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
Allright, allright,  I have to admit that the white vinyl looks cool, not original but really cool...
Very nice customisation, here Ully.
...and of course, as always OUTSTANDING kraftskills, so well documented. Thanks for that!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:47:20 AM by chrischris »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
I have no problems with woodgrain, but this cab looks much better in white. :D
Sometimes we have to correct designers mistakes, that they did in the past. ;D ;D ;D
Great job Ully, the pink would be better tho. ;D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
I think the pink vinyl was for his Kirby costume.
Next Eurocade will be a cosplay, haven't you heard?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
That does look indeed good !

I personally would use woodgrain with sidearts, but hey this turned out really great !
i hope the dent is not visible in the end..
thanks for the tutorial, i think Andre also needs that for his mrs pac, and i need it later for my CK.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Yup, already planned stealing Ully's method....

So....because of that pic I am now part guilty of that Frogger becoming white.....ahhh, well I am going to be honest here: I hate woodgrain as much as anyone and I think you chose very wisely for the white. Good alternative.

Although.....looking at that picture again.......and knowing how much you want a Pong............you can't do that to a Pong of course  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
I think the pink vinyl was for his Kirby costume.
Next Eurocade will be a cosplay, haven't you heard?

LOL but Kirby is NOT allowed. He's not an arcade character !

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
Yup, already planned stealing Ully's method....

if you need any more info, just ask. the key is not to use too much heat (my hot air gun is set on 150 degrees). as always, take your time and it'll work out fine, do a test run first with some spare vinyl!

So....because of that pic I am now part guilty of that Frogger becoming white.....ahhh, well I am going to be honest here: I hate woodgrain as much as anyone and I think you chose very wisely for the white. Good alternative.

glad that you guys like my choice, because although i'm totally convinced by the white vinyl it's always nice to be supported!

Although.....looking at that picture again.......and knowing how much you want a Pong............you can't do that to a Pong of course  ;D

believe me, i would NEVER EVER use anything else but woodgrain on a Pong, that cabinet is an icon and deserves to stay the way it was made!

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »
It sure looks nice, but sorry to say, a Frogger in my eyes is WOODGRAIN!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
It sure looks nice, but sorry to say, a Frogger in my eyes is WOODGRAIN!

wait and see, michael, just wait and see! 8)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
let me guess, the front will be woodgrain   ::)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2011, 02:26:16 PM »
let me guess, the front will be woodgrain   ::)

damn it, etienne, didn't i tell you not to spoil it? ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
 :oops:  my bad  ;D

It was just a wild guess  :P