Author Topic: Superully's Arcade Slowdown  (Read 37176 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Superully's Arcade Slowdown
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
hey guys, some of you might have been wondering why i haven't been that active lately, so i wanted to "make a statement" here! 8)

first of all, i'm still suffering from my broken and dislocated finger injury which occured almost three weeks ago. my hand / arm is still in plaster and working / typing on the computer is damn tedious! here's an x-ray of the "candidate" - even an idiot can spot that something's not quite right here ... :o

secondly, i'm caught up in an extremely time-consuming school project at the moment, i'm executive producing - together with my class - the school version of the german tv hit show "schlag den raab" where three pupils face off against one of our teachers in the ultimate battle for school supremacy! :P

because of that, i don't have / won't be having as much time for the hobby as i normally do, but believe me, i'm still here and will return stronger than ever! :twisted: :D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: Superully's Arcade Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »
I kept telling you Ully, stop picking your nose, but you wouldent listen - and guess what happen......

No seriously, sorry to hear about te finger, what happend?? - something i missed??
Great to have you back!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
Lol, nice Xray pic, I didn't know that there are 3 separate bones in that finger. ;D
Btw. we didn't realize that you are not here. :twisted:
Seriously, I hope you get well soon and that school project will turn out great. ;)

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:14 AM »
Ouch... Hope your feel better asap!

That will be sore & sensitive for a long time.    :(

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
get well soon Ully!

Did doctor mad checked out your finger ? :D

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »
Gute Besserung, Ully!! :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »
That looks like a Galaga-thumb to me !

Hope you get well soon !!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
secondly, i'm caught up in an extremely time-consuming school project at the moment, i'm executive producing - together with my class - the school version of the german tv hit show "schlag den raab" where three pupils face off against one of our teachers in the ultimate battle for school supremacy! :P

Maybe you can include some 'arcade stuff', somewhere in the background of this project?  ;) As executive producer, you have the right to decide that :D

Hope you'll feel better very soon.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
Maybe you can include some 'arcade stuff', somewhere in the background of this project?  ;) As executive producer, you have the right to decide that :D

honestly, i've been thinking about putting an arcade cab in there and have them play it in front of the crowd (200+ people). the problem is that we would need a camera to get the picture on a giant screen. right now we're working on some kind of GIANT PONG which they have to play against each other, but we don't know how to do this yet ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
Simple..

Take this :

and this :

And maybe a old vcr to turn the RF signal into component video  ;)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
We've done this in an event  8)

Easy setup... a projector, a 'cinch' cable(video composite signal) a XinOne joystick (working on battery), like the Atari or Namco one  :arrow:

... and let's start the fun 'in public'  :)

8)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
That will give a shitty looking picture though. <edit, I mean Etiennes idea>

Better solution would be to get an Atari 2600 modded by Mr. Atari (or buy a ready modded one from him) so you have a composite video output and hook that directly into the beamer.

http://www.atari-shop.nl/avmod.htm

And for the controls you hack a pair of Atari paddles into something cool and big, it's just some pots :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »
Oh, and dont try to find a Pong cartridge for the 2600, it's called Video Olympics :)

I think it is possible to play 4 player if you have two sets of paddels. (One set connects to one joystick port)

Mmmm, cant remember there was an official Pong for the Atari 8 bit machines. With an 800 in theory you could play 8 player games because it has 4 joystick ports :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:47:09 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
we want to have something more "active", where the players have to run back and forth to activate the controls, not just stand in one spot and move the paddles. we have to think in bigger terms, because we have a huge audience watching from the spectator seats from afar ... ACTION BABY!!!

polaris

• veni vidi congai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
I helped make the worlds biggest tetris for a tv shoot, we used an emulator to get a decent output image, we used touch sensitive pads from Maplins hacked into a PC joystick, pretty cheap and easy to make and it looked good too, with one person shouting instructions and four people on control pads it made for a fun and exciting game, the person shouting instructions gets really hyper excited, fun to watch and simple to do, but more about communication than a physical challenge in this case  :spaceace:
just keeping an eye on things