Author Topic: After Burner II upright  (Read 3412 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
After Burner II upright
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »
Just read the After burner topic in Retrogamers magazine, and now I suddenly have an option for an Afterburner II upright. The cab is in good working order, all mechanical parts have recently been revised and cosmetical also pretty nice. It's an US cab with an internal stepdonwconverter buils in (220V > 110V). No coin mechs, but a freeplay button has been added. Price is  €250.

Is this a good price and are there some pints for attention when I would go ahead with it?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:19:27 AM by DarthNuno »

Maverick

• View Profile
Re: Afterbuirner II upright
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »
Hmm,

it depends,

usually an AB restored upright goes for 750 euros..

beware also when moving it is a delicate machine: (and I tell you where)

the front joystick is particularly "exposed" when moving the cab and can not the disassembled (needs some soldering in case)

One hit and the complex mechanism of the joystick made reverse like real fighters stick can be damaged (and it is difficult to find perfectly working at a good price)

It is also a Us machine so you'll have to change the Amp (but if you're skilled it would not be a problem)

Also check the red signal light got a bug that sometimes remains blocked

Hope this helps

Mav

Ps= Of course it is useless I say that the upright cab is nothing compared to the DLX cab

but this is an another story..

If you got the chance (space and money) get the DLX
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:32:36 AM by Maverick »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: After Burner II upright
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 12:18:59 AM »
Just read the After burner topic in Retrogamers magazine, and now I suddenly have an option for an Afterburner II upright. The cab is in good working order, all mechanical parts have recently been revised and cosmetical also pretty nice. It's an US cab with an internal stepdonwconverter buils in (220V > 110V). No coin mechs, but a freeplay button has been added. Price is  €250.

Is this a good price and are there some pints for attention when I would go ahead with it?

I've read the article too. It's funny because I really like to play my AB 2 upright since last week. I'm seriously trying to increase my score. The musics are awesome. My favorite one so far in the one on the stage 4  :-*
Yes, 250€ is a good price for a working AB2 upright. Pay attention to the side art. Almost all the AB upright have the side art stickers damaged (mine too, check here)... and there's no reproduction yet. Ask if the motor shaker is still working. This game is a must have for any game room. Of course, the cockpit is THE ultimate experience, but... like the AB world champion says : 'the upright version is the ONE to play for hi score'  ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:19:16 AM »
Yes, the force feedback is still working, the whole cab has recently been overhauled. Side art still looks pretty nice also.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »
Hey, I actually played the AB deluxe pictured in Retrogamer magazine recently ! :D

I have mixed feelings about this game. On one side it's definitely a classic. But for me, it feels like a game you move the joystick and button like nuts, fire like nuts and hope you actually hit something. It gives me the feeling that I am not actually controlling where I fire. It is probably my limited playing skills, but it does give me this feeling.

It's not a bad price esp. since it's working, and it's still a fun machine.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »
AWESOME!!!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »
i belief i saw thisone before on marktplaats....

at least i remember the pictures, and the price was as i remember correcty the same then

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »
i'm stealing your thread to tell a short "DAMN IT" arcade story:

when i started collecting arcade games almost 2 years ago, there was another collector on a german forum who "came out of nowhere", stocked up on games quickly (sega hang on, out run, out run deluxe, ...), but disappeared shortly afterwards as fast as he had appeared. obviously he found out that the arcade world wasn't what he was looking for after all ...

anyway, one of the games he also bought (from world of arcade btw) was an AFTER BURNER COCKPIT. the game was working, but the cabinet wouldn't move. he tried out a few things, but couldn't get it working within a short amount of time, so he decided to give it back to stefan.  :(

oh, i almost forgot: he had bought the game for 57 (in words: FIFTY-SEVEN) euros  :o

before he gave it back to stefan, he was asking around whether someone from the forum wanted to have it. being completely new to the arcade world, i didn't realize how rare / cheap that thing was, so i decided against taking it. looking back now, i could kick myself in the b***  >:(. today, i would take it in a heartbeat, but of course it's long gone now!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:26:55 PM »
Ully, sometimes you learn the things the hard way, it's part of life.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 01:16:49 AM »
So, did Stefan sell that at a daddel-party (re, low price)  ;D ;D ;D

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 09:39:04 PM »