Author Topic: Got Dragon's Lair II on Blu-ray  (Read 12237 times)

lspear76

• View Profile
Got Dragon's Lair II on Blu-ray
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
I finally got Dragon's Lair II on Blu-ray. The game was released June 2nd, but there weren't any stores online or offline that had the game in stock. Finally, a partner of Amazon.com (Caiman) got the game so I canceled my Amazon order and got it through them. It came a few days ago and got a chance to play it.

First off, the game looks good. Better colors than the DVD version by far. You have a choice of 16x9 or the original 4x3. You can also enable subtitles which I think is cool, I could finally make out some of what was being said in the game. The sound is in 5.1 but was unremarkable. The special features are decent. The deleted pirate ship scene is showcased. Unfortunately it's just a few storyboards. The scene was never included in the game because the model ship went missing for awhile. There is also a nice 10 minute interview with the creators, as well as the ability to watch the game in full and watch it while the creators talk about it. There are also previews for the usual games and two short playable levels of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. The funny thing is that the demo level for Dragon's Lair can be played in 4:3 mode if you set Dragon's Lair II to that mode... as you may know the official Dragon's Lair Blu-ray can't be played in that mode. Hehe.

As far as gameplay options you can choose between 5 lives or unlimited, subtitles (different languages are available), and a "Director's Cut". The Director's Cut is supposed to show a different final scene (which I thought was a shorter final version of the last battle) but I didn't notice anything different at all. But, when I completed the game I forgot if I completed the "regular" or "director's" cut. Haha. One difference I did notice in the Director's Cut was after you picked up a treasure -- normally, you are brought back to the same spot and can make "the next move" either to the treasure again or the opposite move. But... in the Director's Cut version it skips the next move after you pick up the treasure, therefore the next move you can make it the "next move." I guess it's hard to explain but if you play it you will notice it right away. I don't know if this is a bug or just a change made for the Director's Cut version.

Also, the game seems to have a few programming issues in the first scene. Sometimes when you start the game, it tries to load the "resurrection" animation before the scene with Dirk's mother in law, stops after a split second, then goes onto the scene. Also, because the first level is split into checkpoints, if you die after the first or second checkpoint, when the game reloads, it shows the resurrection animation and then you see a split second of the "Dragon's Lair" castle (that is shown before the camera moves to Dirk's house) and then the game goes to the proper checkpoint scene. It's small but annoying to me, because I want a perfect version of the game. I didn't notice any other problems throughout the game, but then again, no other level besides the last one has the "checkpoint" system.

I should note that I played the game on the Playstation 3. When I tried playing it on my $128 Magnavox Blu-ray player, the game ran better (but slower loads) at first, and the "one second" clip problem was gone. BUT... once I made it into the Dragon's Lair and onto the time machine and died, the game would try and reload to that checkpoint and completely screw up. The screen tried to show the resurrection, went black, showed a glimpse of Dirk on top of the time machine, bu I had no time to make a move, and kept dying, rinse and repeat over and over.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty solid effort, but I wish they spent the time to make it perfect. It played well on the PS3, but I'd be completely pi$$ed if I only had the $128 stand alone player and this problem.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Got Dragon's Lair II on Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »
Hello lspear76, and welcome to this board  :-*

Thank you for the review of the game (I don't have it for the moment, and ...worst ... I don't have a Blu-Ray player  :oops:).
Did you try to order it directly on the Digital Leisure website?

Regarding your test on PS3, I really hope there's no delay between each moves? I was the major problem for all the DVD players in the DVD version. The Blu-Ray version was supposed to fix that!

If you're really looking for the perfect version of the game, the next step would be to buy a Dragon's Lair II cabinet  ::) :P Where are you located?

Anyway, thanks for that review and enjoy your stay here  :-*

lspear76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't try to order it on the Digital Leisure site because it was $49.95 plus shipping, whereas Amazon was listing it as $22.99 before shipping. I finally got it from Caiman for $35 shipped (Amazon seller).

There is no delay between moves at all. That's one huge plus compared to the DVD version. When I play the DVD version in the PS3, the delay is quite large. But on the Xbox 360, the delay is very slight. Regardless, this version with no delay is much better.

Maybe I'll post a video on Youtube of the Blu-ray version. It's really good except the problems in Level 1. However, if you're using a stand alone player, hopefully it plays as well. It did not play as well on my Magnavox $128 player.

lspear76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Here's a bug in the game when I use my Magnavox player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ICDdZD1vQ

And here's a fix for the bug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqhbgfAPESE
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:52:21 PM by lspear76 »

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
I understand these kind of "bugs". Most of the times it's the player firmware which runs the DL2 java Blu-Ray program too slow or gets confused, so you are seeing wrong scenes and can't play at all.
The game has another major plus compared to the DVD versions : it has move beeps. But also beeps sometimes are not being played due the the Blu-Ray player firmware.
I don't have DL2, but I did try DL1 and SA on a friend's Blu-Ray Panasonic player. At first it showed some "bugs" like the ones you presented in your Youtube videos, but after we upgraded his player's firmware to the last available version it ran much better. So my advice it to check if your Blu-Ray player has the latest firmware version available and if not, upgrade it and try again Digital Leisure's games.

Matteo

lspear76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »
I don't think this player has any updated firmware... but the PS3 is updated completely.

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »
I don't think this player has any updated firmware... but the PS3 is updated completely.

It is right

European PS3 has an automatic update soon as they are linked online at the Sony's European server (different for each continent)

Even if different from the first Japan version (CECH-A or CECH-B with more better quality components and the famous kutaragi's emotion engines chips found in the Qualia 005 High end TV's )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine

Even without them any Ps3 is able to play these blu ray with no great issues

I bought DL and it worked flowess (with a early Jap 11-11-06 firmware 1.00)

Mav

Some links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

ERKATENA75

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
 :evil: :evil: ..Where is the HD-PC version?? :evil: :evil:

I hope that soon I'll play it on my pc!

Do you have information about it?

Gigi.

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »
:evil: :evil: ..Where is the HD-PC version?? :evil: :evil:

I hope that soon I'll play it on my pc!

Do you have information about it?

Gigi.

Simple

as the dvd version,

Buy a blu ray player for your pc

install it

DL and space are not for Ps3 or xbox standard but for blu ray players in general

Maverick

ERKATENA75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »
Hi Maverick,

I have DL & SA PC DVD-ROM HD PC version, works great!

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/DVDRom_games.htm#dlHD

....blu ray....why?

Gigi.

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:38:31 AM »
Hi Maverick,

I have DL & SA PC DVD-ROM HD PC version, works great!

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/DVDRom_games.htm#dlHD

....blu ray....why?

Gigi.

Because the topic is about the new high def DL's blu ray versions now on sale

Maverick