Author Topic: [Roadtrip] Road to Berlin Part II (Five in a Row)  (Read 25398 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Roadtrip] Road to Berlin Part II (Five in a Row)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »
Almost forgot to mention: of course the P1 and P2 cone buttons ARE originally lit on the Centipede cab !!!!

thx for the info! i will find out whether mine are working or not once the centipede has been transported into my gameroom. so many projects to work on, luckily the looooooong summer holidays are coming up. sometimes it's good to be a teacher  ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »
Yeah....I'd like to be a teacher too...one day maybe..... :D

Looks like the Outrun needs this:
http://www.coinopspace.com/profiles/blogs/gearing-up-on-outrun

Let's hope videogameparts.com will ask less for the repro's than for the NOS one he currently has for sale at almost 80 dollars   :shock:!!!!

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »
The Wiz of Wor sideart looks fine from the RHS I could see? Why replace decent original artwork for repro? :-(

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »
The Wiz of Wor sideart looks fine from the RHS I could see? Why replace decent original artwork for repro? :-(

i don't want to start a huge discussion here: some people prefer to have their machine in its original state for nostalgic reasons, others want to have it as "minty" as possible. as for the WoW: what you can't see on the pics are the deep scratches on the sidearts, one of them is extremely damaged. furthermore, there are parts of wood missing, the color has gone and so on and so on. imho, this cab needs restoration badly.

what do the others think regarding restoring or keeping machines original?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
This is often the thing I most doubt about. It depends, if a CPO is shot (which they always are), than of course restore it. Is there NOS ? Great buy it and use it. No NOS ? Are there good repro's ? Then go that way. Of course the best of the best is when things happen like Rich from ThisOldGame is now working on (SW cockpit full artwork set from the original Atari films. When that is released I will definitely get it and install it. Even though most people will probably rate the current side-art as "good", I see loads of damages, scratches, wipes etc etc etc.

But for the Galaxian f.i. I chose not to do it. The available repro's are not on vinyl that looks anyway near the original. Yes there are a good number of scratches around, but for a 1980 cab, it looks pretty good really.

So it's a bit of a balance between how bad you rate the damage/current state against what is available in new artwork.

Where will you get the WOW artwork from ? Here: http://www.phoenixarcade.com/art.htm#WIZARD_OF_WOR ?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:00:09 PM by Level42 »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »
So it's a bit of a balance between how bad you rate the damage/current state against what is available in new artwork.

Where will you get the WOW artwork from ? Here: http://www.phoenixarcade.com/art.htm#WIZARD_OF_WOR ?

i completely agree with you. not everything has to be absolutely "minty", but if good repros or even stencils are available, why not replace the damaged old ones (if you can't live with them). unfortunately, sometimes it's also a matter of MONEY  :(

as for the WoW sidearts: phoenixarcade is the place i ordered them. up next on my restoration list are WoW and pac-man, once those are done i'll continue with the other games. for me it's important not to have too many resto projects at the same time, otherwise i might get sidetracked  :ghost: