Author Topic: Dragon's Lair/Space Ace Collectors Book  (Read 9654 times)

Dexter

• View Profile
Dragon's Lair/Space Ace Collectors Book
« on: June 03, 2009, 02:57:12 AM »
Hi all,

I’ve been thinking of making a book about the collection of Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace games (from Arcade, to CELS to console/PC games)
I am sure with the likes for Finny, Mike Ryan and other and myself and Bruno we could get quite a lot of photo’s and info.

I am going to ask Don Bluth and Garry Goldman about this (from a legal point of view) and go from there.

I’d like to get all the box shots (and I have a lot of these) some custom artwork, and other rare items.

What do you guys think ?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:03:46 AM by Dexter »

mike ryan

• View Profile
Re: Dragon's Lair/Space Ace Collectors Book
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 03:52:34 AM »
Hi Dex,

That sounds like a Great idea! You can definitely count me in! I have been adding a bunch to my collection, Let me know how I can help.

Talk to you soon
          Mike

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 05:20:06 AM »
Thanks Mike  ;D

What I am thinking is of close ups of the boxes that the games came in (console/PC) Nice photo's of all the different cabs. Collectors faces  :P Screen shots of the games. Photo's of them in arcades from the 80's (I am sure someone would have some shots)

Short interviews of collectors (and Don and the gang)

The impact of the Laser games

RARE items

if anyone can come up with anymore ideas post it up here.

A 40 page book (can be done hard or soft cover) will be about $20 US and $30 US or upto 120 pages.

I'll post a link to all to get them at cost and some others will hit ebay and so on. I'd like to donate the profits to websites like this, DLP and Daphne to say thanks  8)

Other than that, I don't want to make money on this, I'd like to have this sitting on my coffee table (and in my collection cabinet)

I'm hoping to have all that get involved, signed copies from Don/Garry

Thoughts ??

Dirks Magic Sword

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:24:36 AM »
Did you steal my therad Dexter ? :)

I wrote around a week ago the same thing and noone responded ???

Its cool and wish anyone involved good luck :)

I have a few cels if need be to contribute.

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:44:01 AM »
Did you steal my therad Dexter ? :)

I wrote around a week ago the same thing and noone responded ???

Its cool and wish anyone involved good luck :)

I have a few cels if need be to contribute.

Dude, I didn't see that WOW. Great minds huh :-)

I am thinking more along the lines from a collectors point of view. All versions made and so on.

I'm just waiting for Don to get back to me on this. We could make another one if this one sells :-)

propazoid

• View Profile
    • Retro Cuties
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
I'm sure it's a super long shot on this every getting a green light.
But I'm a graphic designer & I would totally be into designing the book.

-Robb  :spaceace:

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
Okay I've spoken to Don and just waiting to hear back from Gary.

As soon as I've heard from him I'll report back.

Looking good so far  ;D

apinion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 04:35:28 PM »
Great idea! I have several cels also. My Dragon's Lair arcade cabinet is signed by the 4 creators (Bluth, Goldman, Dyer, and Pomeroy). I also have several sketches by Don Bluth.

I do have some pretty rare items, including the original cover art to issue 1 of the Dragon's Lair comic book. I have about half of the pages to issue 1, and a few pages from issues 2 and 3.

My best item is probably the original painting that was used for the cover art for the Super Nintendo Dragon's Lair. I bought it from a former Data East employee.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:03:38 PM by apinion »

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
Just a quick update, I am getting closer with this. I've been speaking to Gary and all I'll say is I've not had a 'NO' at this point in time and 'let's talk' as he too thinks it's a great idea  8)

Keeping you posted

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 09:42:13 PM »
Dex,

Great Idea!!! You could fill a 500 Page book if you wanted to print everyone's art Etc, I would be willing to help out with any pics etc, I have so much stuff that hasnt even been posted, I have yet to put my webpage www.dragons-lair-museum.com online, but it seems time keeps stepping in the way!! maybe if you go ahead with this you could come to the Euromeet? even if the Euromeet dont happen you should still come over when Matteo Marioni comes over from Italy to visit the end of this year.

I still speak to Gary quite regular, he is a top guy, so helpfull, its amazing the stories he still remembers about Dragons lair, When I got invited to the Bluth Studio in Arizona back in 04' when we wernt at the studio, Gary took us for drives to different places, and used to tell us anything we could think about Dragons lair, Space Ace, it was great, I was lucky enough to see the Story Boards to the Original Dragons Lair Movie back in the day, I almost purchased the original drawings storyboards to the Blackbeard sequence, I am so gutted I didnt get those now, however there were more important things I wanted to get at the time. Guys I have never seen anything like it, there were boxes and boxes of original Backgrounds from Dragons Lair, Dragons Lair 2, and Space Ace, there were rack and racks of cels, film, just wish I had more time to have a look through all the stuff, shame its all gone to the Savannah Art College.

Speak Soon
-Finny
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

Dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »
Hey all,

Moved to the new house (and LOVING IT) no internet (yet) so posting might take some time. I am back in Sydney for work and will be back on the Gold Coast soon.

As for the book. Jas did Gary ask you for my e-mail addy ? if so I'll PM you the one I want him to get me on.

There is a LOT we can do for a book, but to make a small run, I think just a  'Collectors Point of View'  book would be good to start with.

Anyway gotta go (will PM you now Jas)

Steve